PDA

View Full Version : Importing Equipment into Canada

flairland
12-27-2007, 04:24 PM
I've been looking at small skids/mini skids for a while now, and I've noticed that you can get some good deals in the US! Just wondering how good my deal is going to stay once I reach customs. Anyone have experience with this, or know much about it? Please let me know!:canadaflag::usflag:

bobcat_ron
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
It's a real PITA, customs is a real jerk of a system to deal with, plus some bull sh*t that you have to prove that the machine has been steam cleaned of all foreign debris and crap to prevent any contaminants from entering here. Too bad the Canadian dollar dropped earlier this month.

My advice is keep looking for one locally, it's faster and easier as far as paper work and you'll save money on brokerage fees.

grassmanvt
12-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I've shipped a few machines to Canada. The biggest thing is having proof of ownership here in the us. Most people don't have mso's for the stuff here so it ca be a pain. Call a broker they will tell you exactly what you need.

Gravel Rat
12-27-2007, 09:02 PM
If you want to do it your better off using a broker to handle all the BS you need to go through. What do you plan on buying ?

It is a pain to try import stuff to here especailly vehicals or equipment so good luck.

westcoh
12-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Not sure about equipment, but earlier this year I purchased an International truck from the U.S. I used a customs broker who did all the paperwork for me and made it rather painless for about $200. Don't forget that you'll be charged GST at the border, but you definitely can save some money by buying from the U.S.

cantoo
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Flairland, the Americans are still coming here and buying equipment to take back to Michigan, Indiana and Ohio so not sure if you can get a better deal there or not. Only thing is they have more selection of equipment. I have heard that construction is hitting the brakes pretty good over there so maybe there are some deals to be had.
To export our houses to Michigan we used An Deringer for our broker. They have a website and can likely answer your questions.
http://www.anderinger.com/

RipT
12-28-2007, 12:57 AM
We have imported a '99 kenworth T-800 crane truck and a '06 Toolcat 5600 into Canada and used Cole International as our broker. All went well except for a communication glitch where we did not understand that the driver had to have the Original (not just a copy) of the title for the truck to cross the border. Lost a day getting it FedExed.

In both cases, could not find anything remotely close in condition or $$ in Canada at the time. Also, the broker only collects GST, so on an unregistered machine like the Toolcat, we saved the 7% PST. Yes, machinery does need to be steam cleaned and have a certificate stating such.

john_bud
12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
I would think that having a used machine steam cleaned would be a nice thing. All spanking clean and looking new!

It is wierd that we look to Canada for bargains and at the same time you guys are looking here for bargains - I guess the grass is always greener.....

Good luck,
jb

ATL Lawn
01-02-2008, 03:11 AM
(not trying to be funny) but , you can just put it on your trailer and cross??
(i mean like a skid steer)

GradeMan
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Those customs IDiots are itching to pull the trigger, They might think your Bin Laden

bobcat_ron
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Derkha derkha jihad!!!!!

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Derkha derkha jihad!!!!!

You sure your middle name isn't "BEN" ??????? There Ron !:usflag:

bobcat_ron
01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
May your camels be fruitful.