PDA

View Full Version : Ford LCF and Sterling side by side photos

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey guys, I stopped my my dealer today to check things out. all and all I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ the ford w/ a SNG bed, the lcf vs the mitfuzo built sterling (though a great truck) is hands down ford in way of shear power and heavy dutyness. the ford's frame, breaks, tie rod, springs, rim were all bigger. i took it for a spin and even w/ that massive box (drag city) it drove really well. the cab was better contracted, though the sterling had more leg room (likely due to the smaller tires and rims) but sine I'm not driving it, and the crew that will won't be going long distances I don't care all that much. ford seats were much nicer with full sized seats for everyone, much safer in my opinion to have a full seat instead of the half backs. and the kicker is the ford (w/ rebats and such, is less expensive, so my mind is pretty much made up.

TXNSLighting
12-27-2007, 06:20 PM
i like those LCFs! i want to get one! sounds like the right decision.

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
i was throughly impressed. hope to pick one up over the winter in time for spring. the 6cyl engine had plenty of power, I kinda question why they don't offer that in the pickups. really no need for most people to have the v8 powerstrokes in my opinion this would do just fine, and get better mpg

TXNSLighting
12-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I wondered the same thing! seems like such a great engine! in a f-150?? yeh. that would sell so great!

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 08:00 PM
heck in a 250 would be cool too, make a great service truck

Gravel Rat
12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
One thing about the LCF is the same driveline is used in the F-450 and F-550.
The front axle in the LCF thou is a full I beam axle like Ford used to use in the "F-Superduty" (F-450) trucks.

Anybody had any feedback on the V6 PSD that would be the biggest worry about the truck. The rest of it should be Ford tough :laugh:

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 08:56 PM
the dealer also was pretty sure they could get me a "pre emissions" one, which I of course would prefer. that'd make two new trucks I've bought w/o the "new truck emissions" b.s.

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
One thing about the LCF is the same driveline is used in the F-450 and F-550.
The front axle in the LCF thou is a full I beam axle like Ford used to use in the "F-Superduty" (F-450) trucks.

Anybody had any feedback on the V6 PSD that would be the biggest worry about the truck. The rest of it should be Ford tough :laugh:

oh and I'd love feedback too, but unfortunately don't think we'll get much

Rick.ULS
12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I saw some of you were talking about using the v-6 turbo out of the Ford LCF in the F-150s and F-250s. Awesome ideas, but how about this one? Install that engine in the Walker MT/GHS mowers with a 48" deck and large hopper ! Also in the large Scag Turf Tiger with a 71" deck. I doubt you would have any trouble mowing thick, wet fescue with either one, what do ya think?

Rick:weightlifter:

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 09:46 PM
sounds something more like what dixie chopper would do, have to really reinforce the catcher on the walker, fan would be blowing some air... a good idea none the less. the engine was very smooth by the way.

Rick.ULS
12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Just wanted to give a 6 month progress report on my Ford LCF I purchased in June. So far, I can tell you that overall, the truck is outstanding in every way. It is much more comfortable than my old Isuzu NPR. about the same leg room, I think. The seats are far and away more comfortable than other trucks in this class I looked at. The layout of the instrument panel is very driver-friendly and easily read, even at night. The truck has tilt steering wheel, cruise control, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, great heat and a/c, am/fm stereo that's not bad actually, good cup holders for my DR. PEPPER, a couple of glove boxes and storage areas for sunglasses, cell phones, etc. The steering is very precise, more like a car than a big truck. It will turn on a dime, and I think actually turns sharper than my Isuzu. As far as brakes, so far the brakes have been bullet-proof. I have an 8 x 18 ' landscaper bed on mine, and no matter what the load, the brakes are awesome. (They are disk brakes front and rear, and have massive calipers and rotors)
As far as the engine, the big v-6 turbo diesel is the best I've driven as far as power and torque. It's a little bit loud under full excelleration, but when is that not cool ? It's a diesel ! ! ! I am getting around 11.5 - 12 M.P.G. around town, stop and go traffic. I don't do much highway driving, so can't give you any real numbers but, when on the highway, the truck has more than enough muscle to pull strong, even with a heavy load. The cruise control works very well, up hill and down. Also, the truck has the tow/haul feature, which works very well when loaded heavy. :weightlifter:
My Lcf has a 45 gallon fuel tank between the rails just behind the rear differential, so it's tucked in safer than a side mount bullet tank. Normally, I spend between $80. - $90. to fill it up with fuel. I normally go 1 to 1 1/2 weeks on a fill up, or 350 - 400 miles, whichever comes first.
So far, I think the one and only thing I miss from my Isuzu NPR is the little roof-top vent, which opened forward and backward. Great little device Ford or International should look at installing.
Well, that should give you guys some more info, but, if you have questions, write back !

Good Luck,
Rick

Marek
12-28-2007, 06:01 PM
When you say loaded heavy , how much weight are you talking about?

allinearth
12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
What is the gvwr on the lcf?

Gravel Rat
12-28-2007, 10:54 PM
The gvw on the trucks should be close to what the F-450 and F-550. The only thing you will have to watch with the LCF is overloading the front axle.

The other common Cabover problem is they eat steer tires so you got to run a good high quality tire. I imagine Ford shods the LCF with those rotton General LMT400 tires. They are HORRIBLE tires.

The old GMC/Isuzu cabovers with the 16 inch rubber pealed steer tires off quickly.

Rick.ULS
12-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Thankfully, my new LCF came with Michelins all around.
Rick

Rick.ULS
12-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Hello again Marek,
The most weight I've had on the truck so far was eight(8) cubic yards of wet double ground hardwood mulch, and another time had 2 Walker Mowers and 2 z mowers plus weed eaters, blowers, etc. I'm not sure what a cubic yard of wet mulch weighs, but it's a fair test of a truck. By the way, you do NOT have to have a C D L to operate an LCF or similar truck, because it is under the weight limit for a C D L.

Rick.ULS
12-29-2007, 02:22 AM
I'll check it and let you know. I don't want to guess, and tell you wrong

BrandonV
12-29-2007, 09:10 AM
my Mitsubishi does eat steer tires, ford claims to have remedied this by using MUCH bigger tie rod and steering components, which from my side by side they defiantly did.

Rick.ULS
12-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I checked the G V W R on my L C F is 16,000 lbs.
Front rating is 7,000 lbs
Rear rating is 11,000 lbs

Running Michelin X Z E radials all around

BrandonV
12-29-2007, 08:45 PM
thanks for the info, I'm probably going to get the one that GVW @ 19.5k but I think they'll derate it to 17.5

Gravel Rat
12-29-2007, 09:04 PM
You would definatly would want to stay away from the cheaper overseas tires. You will definatly be loading the front axle to the max with most loads.

I know the guys that had the cabover trucks for P&D work the GMCs always had lots of weight on the front wheels. One of the owner operators I know has a 3500 GMC cabover his front tires look like they are flat with the loads he carries in the van.

Grass Happens
12-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I heard that UPS has been having some problems with the v6 PSD in their trucks. That's why there is a bit of a problem between ford and international.

BrandonV
12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
the dealer told me they were having some kind of problem with the engine earlier, but addressed that by having the injectors cycle after shutoff... makes a clicking sound for a 10 or so secs

Rick.ULS
12-31-2007, 04:19 AM
Hello Brandon @ Tomscreek,
I haven't heard about those engine and / or injector problems on the Ford LCFs. Can you give me some info on what you heard ?
Rick.ULS

BrandonV
12-31-2007, 06:33 AM
just that fuel was dripping into cylinders after shutdown, don't know details about what that was causing, just that to remedy it by the clicking noise at shut down.

wellbuilt
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I live in NY and i have to say that my LCF sucks in the snow.I have to get pulled up my drive way to leave for work and the anti lock brakes are like no breaks at all. I don't no if its the tires or the breaks but its bad. last night i slide off my drive way side ways . The front bumper took a good hit and was not damaged. My truck is very hard starting . and it seams to run very hot. I have not been back to the dealer yet I have about 7000 mils .The truck is great to drive and work out of. I have a custom ladder rack with weather guard 8 ' tool boxs on the side of the dump bed .A hoist to lift heavy things into the bed ( 2 ) 4' tool boxes under the bed .I have air horns on the roof with on board air system 12volt and 110.I shoot nails off the truck system .I am mounting a 12000lb winch soon .And would like to start running propane injection. I have no time im working 7 days now. I hate to turn away work .

gene gls
02-02-2008, 09:19 PM
The LCF trucks must have problems of some kind. I have been watching the truck listings and there are always several listed as "used" with very low mileage.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Your finding out that dually trucks suck in the snow. My 2003 F-450 goes no where unless I have weight on the truck. I have heavy traction tires designed for snow they are commonly used by the highways dept.

If your truck is shod with the LMT400 I'am not surprised you have traction problems. You need to run a good tire like the Bridgestone M729 on the drive axle.

I have the Truetrac in the diff of my truck is helps allot you do have to watch in the snow it will make the azz end kick out.

Another thing to keep in mind a cab over always is light over the rear axle. You have more weight on the front axle or the truck is more front end heavy so the rear end may want to swap ends.

I can't even park in my driveway when it snows I can't climb up it. I can sit in one spot and just spin wheels. Our snow out on the West isn't dry it packs and turns into ice. Once you drive on it or spin your wheels you have to chip it with a shovel. Even on the road the plow trucks have to run steel cutting edges. I was going to buy a set of chains this year but never did get around to it.

BrandonV
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
just an update on my soon to be truck, it was ordered on the 18 of feb, for some reason they couldn't get one from current stock or something. But as of today Still no truck, I'm really getting a bit frustrated w/ the whole process. Why is it truck dealerships/builders don't want to get a move on. I bought a jeep and had it w/ in a week I'm having to regularly wait 3 months or more for trucks, in fact the last 3 I've bought new, have each taken 3 months. 2 fords 1 mitfuso and now this one... called them and told them I might as well wait till fall since things sometimes slow down in the summer.

ConstSvcs
05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks for the info, I'm probably going to get the one that GVW @ 19.5k but I think they'll derate it to 17.5

Brandon,

I'm a little late in on this post but I hope you went with the 19,500 # GVW !!!

A SNG 12' container weights 2000 lbs and the S-N-G hoist frame is another 1800 lbs. The curb weight of my Isuzu FRR with the above stated gear is 12K which gives me a legal 3.5 ton capacity. BUT........it will handle fifteen yards of mulch at a tad over weight.

BrandonV
05-16-2008, 06:36 AM
i did, how you like your SNG?

ConstSvcs
05-16-2008, 06:58 AM
i did, how you like your SNG?

Best investment I've made........(beside my mini-exc. and a second wife of 15yrs :)).

I have two medium duty containers.....a 15yd & a 12 yd. and will someday purchase a flatbed.

If I had to do it over I may have looked into a 23,500 GVW chassis (Isuzu FTR) because of the step up to 22" wheels from the 19.5's. The S-N-G system is a worthwhile investment!

The dump angle is fantastic.

As of now, I'm into my truck for $33,000 including the two containers. Cabovers are a perfect work vehicle for both our lines of work ( I'm a building contractor) I can't see how anyone could lay out the $$$ for a 1 or 1.5 ton dump these days. These setups will do an easy 350,00 miles. I'll post some current pics when I can.

Good luck................you've made a wise choice.

BrandonV
05-19-2008, 07:07 PM
dealer called today, they're trying to be real nice since the truck is way late. Anyways, truck should be delivered this week, my installer as recommended by TThomas, has the bodies and stuff at their shop ready to go. I got a landscaper bed, and two light duty containers (we only haul mulch w/ this truck, let the big trucks handle the heavy stuff, and I'm going to convert one for leaves/ plant hauling.)

BrandonV
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
just a couple more days now, the truck was delivered to the SNG dealer today, so I'll have it moday or tues... its a good thing too, I was about to go buy a isuzu or something. I HATE being strung along with the "i should be here this week" it gets old 4-5 weeks into something, I'm not a hard guy to deal with, give me a date and make it happen, don't make something and pray it happens.

newtostone
06-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey tom any update on your truck or pictures to share?

BrandonV
06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
havens got it yet its finished though. I've not seen it but tthomas says it looks good