PDA

View Full Version : wanted opinions....

Sweet Tater
12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I know this is going to open a can of worms, but here goes. I was going to buy a new trailor for 2008 and have it built with half dump have not. Anyway it would cost about $5500. I really don't like a trailer and the idea of a box truck with a dove tail ramp sounds nice. Long story (question) short. For less than $5k I can get a 14ft 1989-1990 uhaul f350 deisel http://www.uhaul.com/trucksales/model_spec.aspx?id=DC
The question is, would you trust a uhaul.... I know the driving history is, well , rough, but I understand they do do good maintanence on them.

carriedrewdog
12-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I am not a U-Haul insider, but several months ago I had a conversation about their maint practices after I rented one of thier trucks. (You can guess why the conversation was started) The way it was explained to me is that their one way trucks are bounced from dealer to dealer and each dealer feels like they are caught with the hot potato when one comes in that requires a repair or service. My own experience bears this out and makes perfect sense. The dealers are in the business of renting a truck and have no incentive to do the maint or repairs, they will give you the worst truck to take down the road on a one-way. The one I rented had a front end that felt like the steering wheel was connected to the tires with rubber bands, when you hit the brakes you were in for a lane change. The muffler was held on with old coathangers. No kidding. If it were me I'd have to get a real deal on the truck and be willing to set aside a large chunk of change for the expected repairs and anticipated downtime. That story about passing the trucks off from one dealer to the next just makes too much sense to me. Just don't think they take care of "someone's" equipment like you take care of yours.

Sweet Tater
12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Hmmm, thats why I asked for opinions. I didn't think about that. I did figure it was at the end of their time frame, (gets a certain age and sell it.)

BrandonV
12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
uhaul is not the way to go, there are plenty of companies that lease stuff like penske or ryder. probably a better route

Sweet Tater
12-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Tomscreek, I was talking about buying one not renting. I couldn't afford the payments on a lease right now, but would love to go that way, keep a fresh truck every few years.

Envy Lawn Service
12-28-2007, 04:24 AM
What he is saying is there are better sources of "for sale" used commercial trucks.
Point being looking for commercial sources that have incentive to keep their stuff well serviced.

Rental and lease agencies cycle their stuff out after a certain point.

BrandonV
12-28-2007, 07:30 AM
yeah, penske sells their off lease trucks, my freightliner was once a refrig truck. works well if you're not planning to put on major miles... but if it is going to be your primary/core truck really consider new, they are, though not worn out, prone to extended shop visits

Sweet Tater
12-31-2007, 09:07 PM
What he is saying is there are better sources of "for sale" used commercial trucks.
Point being looking for commercial sources that have incentive to keep their stuff well serviced.

Rental and lease agencies cycle their stuff out after a certain point.

oh, I missed the point. I'll have to check the others too then.