PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs Area!!!!!!!!

jphag
12-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I am starting up business again here in the Springs and could use some help. I am going to service the following areas: All of 80919, Briargate from North of Woodmen Rd to Powers Blvd to Hwy 83 up to Monument. I had my lco business here from 99 to 04 and moved to Fl but am back and hope to make some good contacts with other fellow lco's. I would like to have other companies I can build a professional relationship with and count on to give referrals to. Look forward to hearing from anyone from the area. :):):)

DanaMac
12-30-2007, 08:27 AM
John - I'm here if you want to refer sprinkler work. Repairs, maintanence, service, start ups, fall blow ous. No installs although I have others to refer to. Are you going to be doing lawn maintanence or landscaping?

jphag
01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Dear DanaMac,

Nice to hear from some one in the Springs. I recognize you from when I use to live here. How is your business? From my understanding you only do maintenance and blowouts of sprinkers am I correct? I will be doing everything that has to do with lawn maintenance and some small landscaping projects. I do sprinkler work as well but it would be nice to have a contact that I can refer work to if need be. I have always noticed that their are not many people on lawnsite from the spings area. Do you network with anyone here? Well gotta go.

DanaMac
01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Dear DanaMac,

Nice to hear from some one in the Springs. I recognize you from when I use to live here. How is your business? From my understanding you only do maintenance and blowouts of sprinkers am I correct? I will be doing everything that has to do with lawn maintenance and some small landscaping projects. I do sprinkler work as well but it would be nice to have a contact that I can refer work to if need be. I have always noticed that their are not many people on lawnsite from the spings area. Do you network with anyone here? Well gotta go.

Yeah I have a couple others from LS that I work with. And yes, all my company does is sprinkler service, repair, maintenance, start ups, blow outs, etc. No installs. We occasionally do a redesign of a system when they are installed poorly. No lawn maintenance or landscaping. Let's talk sometime before spring. I'm on vacation in Mass. right now.

jphag
01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
sounds good. lets keep in touch. hopefully we can meet this spring.

kdkg
04-30-2008, 02:28 AM
I am also in the springs. Admittedly I am a small fry. Just retired from the military last fall and this is giving me something to do. I have mostly used equipment and haven't really used much of it yet. Did some "sub" work for a company in Denver till my back gave out on me. Just can't keep up with the professional pace.

I also plowed snow this last winter. Wasn't as much fun as I had envisioned but again, gave me something to do and a reason to watch the news. My son turned out to be the best shoveler I had. Let a couple of adults go cause they were milking out the hours too much on me.

Just picked up a skid loader that is too heavy for my trailer (I did make it home though) so if yall know about a built up trailer that is on the cheap side, let me know.

Not really sure what I am going to do with the machine. Just had always wanted one. Shits and giggles I guess.

Diablo
12-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey everybody, just wanted to give this thread a bump and see if we can’t actually get Colorado going. My name is Mike and I used to post on this site quite frequently, but a couple of Iraq rotations have taken their toll on my “Social Networking” side. Anyway, I’m getting out of service in a couple of months and looking to get my business cranked back up. Just wanted to get some relationships with other pros going. I’m looking to start mostly in lawn maintenance and minor landscaping, but my vision takes me out of that business and exclusively into large installs if God wills it to be. I do have a question though, how is the business in the Springs in the winter? What do you guys do to keep you busy, and is it enough to do ok? I’m debating on moving back to NC to work there for the more temperate weather, but I really love Colorado and if you can be successful in this business there, would love to stay. Anyway, nice to meet you all….and nice to see you again Dana. Look forward to hearing from you soon, Mike.:usflag:

kdkg
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I honestly didn't do much in the later part of the summer and fall. I had one project job that I was nickel and dime 'd on and then only put out a few bids after that. I prefer projects rather than weekly maintenance. With the gas so high, alot of people didn't want to spend as much money and I wasn't willing to bid low enough to get the job. Let those "uninsured aka 2 guys and a pickup" have it instead.

This winter, my plowing lineup is much smaller than last year. Everyone is expecting a dry winter so they are less willing to commit to a contract. I did subcontracting in that area last year, but am on my own this winter.

I supplement my business with a regular job two days out of the week. Might be taking that to full time if they offer me the right job. Is in "at risk" youth treatment.

Was offered some sub work if I would learn sprinklers but my knees are too old for that. If you are good at that, repairs are always needed.

Also looking for the new GI bill to put me back in school. Perhaps that is something for you to smooth out the edges as well. Can't beat getting paid to go to school.

Ken

Diablo
12-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey Ken, it's nice to meet you. I'm definitely banking on the GI bill to be a decent supplemental income, that and a nice little nest egg I've been working on should get me through a year or two. How did you go about lining up plowing contracts anyway? Any tips you could offer a southern boy who has never touched a plow in his life? I owned a lawn maintenance/landscaping business for two or three years in NC and did pretty well with it, but then got patriotic and joined the Army after September 11th. I do not however, have many ideas about what to do in the winter in a colder climate like this. If I were absolutely determined to do this full time, what would you guys suggest to get me through the winters? Thanks for the input, Mike.:usflag:

kdkg
12-30-2008, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Diablo;2668442]How did you go about lining up plowing contracts anyway?
[/QUOTE

A guy up in Denver got me started last year. I was working for him within a couple of weeks after retirement. He encouraged me to buy a truck and plow. And then he lined up some jobs through US Maintenance for me. Sub contracting through him of course.

It was a good push for me, but I didn't go that route this year. I am just word of mouth for the plowing. I plow my insurance provider's lot and my son's orthodontist's lot. About 3 hours work after snow. Figure I can expand more next winter if this works out for me.

Bad thing about the plow truck and such, have to carry the commercial vehicle insurance all year long and it isn't cheap. I don't expect to break even this year. Not enough snow.

As for getting started, go to "plow site" and offer yourself as a shoveler or such. You would be on telephone standby but the money can be decent if you are willing to work hard. Best part is the boss will carry the insurance.

I wouldn't recommend buying a truck and plow this winter, but you can slowly work your way up to sub work. When you do buy a truck, don't go cheap unless it is a great deal. I got a great deal on my truck and plow and don't regret it, but it would be nice to have automatic tranny and a big block. It was the 5th truck I had looked at. Alot of them out there was just worn out rigs where the seller was upgrading.

I have a 3/4 ton dodge w/ a 360 which plows fine, but is a slug getting from store to store.

I wish I had more experience to help you more, I was motivated by the plenty of snow in 06/07 (though I was on a remote) but so was alot of other people. If you are watching craigslist, you will notice alot of people are selling out now.

But hey, nice to meet you. Good luck in the conversion to civilian life and hollar at me if you decide you need a regular job in the mean time. Where I work is always hiring and the starting pay (if you have at least 60 hrs of college) is $11 an hour. My direct supervisor is a former Army Lt and I am a retired Air Force NCO. They like military people there. Lots of employees are prior cops or military. Only bad part is the commute, is down in Cannon City.

Diablo
12-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks Ken, that's great advice, I had completely forgotten about Plowsite. I've been browsing around on it for a bit now. I don't plan on buying anything just yet as I'm still in Iraq for the next week or so. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a brand new truck when I get home, I'm sick of other people's junk and don't want my livelihood breaking down on me. I appreciate the offer on the job hookup, that commute might be just a bit too far for me though....but then again, that depends on whether I become broke or not, haha. For now, I'm just going to start picking up weekend jobs until the summer, at which point I'll give full time a shot. :usflag:

DanaMac
12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Mike for letting me know. I rarely visit this forum section. as you know all my company does is sprinkler service, repair, maintenance, and fall blow outs. No installs. I've been doing this since 1995, and have gotten use to the seasonal cycle, and have built my company enough that I make enough in 8-9 months that I don't work in the winter. Occasionally I work with some friends when they need it on different construction projects. Doubtful this year.

Every lawn/landscape company I know is struggling. Struggling to keep guys busy, to make same money as last year, to keep contracts from going to low bidders, etc. It's not the best outlook, but I don't know where is any better. All my work is long time customers, referrals from other lawn/landscape/irrigation companies, supply houses, internet search, real estate agents, and a phone book ad in the Monument phone book. Craigslist is not my preference as most people there are looking for a deal.

I think if you can network through the military it would benefit you. Military like to help their own. I would also say try to focus on certain areas. Don't drive all over town. East side, west side, central, whatever. Minimize your driving.

Plow work..... it can make or break you. Could be great like 06/07, but with lots of headaches due to too much snow, equipment breaking down, can't go on vacation, etc. Or it could be dry and your paying for equipment that is just sitting collecting dust.

Diablo
12-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Dana, can't say I'm excited about the insight you provided, but it is definitely what I expected to hear. I am going to go to school full time for the next two years and see if I can't wrap up a second degree and plan to do lawn maintenance and landscaping 2-3 days per week for about a year and a half to two years. As long as I can find a way to make some decent supplemental income through lawn maintenance, I think I'll be fine. It stinks that people are holding their wallets so tightly right now, it's ironic really. The economy sucks because people aren't spending money, and people aren't spending money because the economy sucks. Brilliant. We'll see how it goes, I'm just hoping to pick up about 15-20 regular contracts to start, and I think if I hit the ground pretty hard with advertising I should be able to do that much at least, shouldn't have to pay anyone else for awhile as I plan to just do everything myself, at least the lawn maintenance part anyway. I'll definitely keep you in mind on sprinkler referrals though, and again, probably would want you to service the ones at my place in the spring. Keep me in mind for residential lawn care and small landscaping installs. I'm a small operation but have extensive experience and do quality work. I don't low ball as I find that it makes me cut corners and do shoddy work. Anyway, welcome back and pop in from time to time to keep your name fresh. I hope to get this thread going pretty good here. See ya, Mike.:usflag:

DanaMac
12-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I have a company I refer for Monument and Gleneagle. So I will keep you in mind for homes in the Springs. But I also have 2 others that I send work to, that are neighborhood specific for lawn care. I can't promise anything, but I'll send what I can.

You mentioned a second degree. A second bachelors, or a masters? MY GF is the on campus MBA director at UCCS.

SilverPeakServices
03-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi guys in Colorado Springs, I see that this post has been quiet for a couple of months, but I just wanted to introduce myself. I started my company after being laid off at Classic Homes after Christmas. I hope to be all things to all customers right now. I'm offering lawn care as well as home improvement and maintenance services. I've been in this line of work since I was 18, 36 now, and also on top of that I'm finishing up my business degree at UCCS hopefully this fall.

Anyway just wanted to say hi! :waving:

Chris Binkley
www.silverpeakservices.com

jphag
03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi guys in Colorado Springs, I see that this post has been quiet for a couple of months, but I just wanted to introduce myself. I started my company after being laid off at Classic Homes after Christmas. I hope to be all things to all customers right now. I'm offering lawn care as well as home improvement and maintenance services. I've been in this line of work since I was 18, 36 now, and also on top of that I'm finishing up my business degree at UCCS hopefully this fall.

Anyway just wanted to say hi! :waving:

Chris Binkley
www.silverpeakservices.com

Where abouts are you targeting your business?

SilverPeakServices
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
My target area is more northern Colorado Springs up into Douglas County and Castle Rock area. Might look into the Broadmoor area as well, but more northern than anything.

Scotts
03-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Hey Chris, you say you were with Classic Homes. Did you know Little Joe?

SilverPeakServices
03-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Joe Ray? Yep I knew him real well. We both got laid off around the same time.

Scotts
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Yea, , good guy. He used to come up to Black Forest and have 1 with the boys, but I havent seen him in a long time,

I am also a building contractor, Its so slow I had to break out my lawn equip. got lucky and picked up 7 commercials last week (same owner)

SilverPeakServices
03-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Cool, good luck with your accounts. I'm not sure where Joe wnt, haven't seen him since December.

Diablo
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Welcome aboard Chris, it's nice to meet you. And to everyone else, hello again. So, I'm actually out of the army in just about 3 or 4 weeks and down to doing my own thing these days (aka....ramping up the lawn business). So, I got myself squared away with some pretty decent Husqvarna weedeaters and blowers and picked up a John Deere commercial walk behind....it's only 24inches but should get me started on maintenance anyway. I'm still looking for a deal on an aerator if anyone comes across one but the moral of the story is this....I'm looking to go ahead and start picking up a few contracts now. If any of you guys have any leads on jobs in the North/East areas of Colorado Springs I would absolutely love to have a shot at them. I have all the equipment I need to start doing lawn maintenance/fertilization/small to medium landscape installs. I have years of experience in the business back home and believe in doing quality work for quality work prices. (no lowballing, I've learned that if it's not making me money, I lose motivation too fast and may not give the customer the job they deserve).

At work I'm down to half days or less nearly every day and then I have two months of paid terminal leave to take me through the summer. If any of you guys have work you can't take, or even just need a hand one day, feel free to give me a call at 719-216-2862. I have a nice little nest egg to get me started, but am definitely looking to start filling some days.

P.S. on a side note, I also have a property management and development LLC in the works. My better half and I own and run a few rental properties here in the springs, if any of you guys ever need our services.....or just advice, please feel free to ask.

And just to make this the longest post ever......How are you guys doing so far? Gotten started on Aerating, seeding and fertilizing yet? Business looking any better so far this year?

Take care guys, talk to ya soon, Mike.:usflag:

SilverPeakServices
05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi mike,

Yep I just completed 14 aerations yesterday during all the rain. No fun, oh well I guess that is how it goes. Good luck with your property management business. That is down the road for me too.

Chris

Diablo
05-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Hey, it pays the bills though right? I actually just got back from Denver where I bought a Blue Bird aerator, so hopefully I can get crankin on those over the next few days. :usflag:

Diablo
05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow....aerating is a good thing in Colorado. I can't believe how busy I've been over the last couple of days....definitely not complaining though. I have a question for you guys, how successful are you at actually getting customers to sign a year round contract? It's the only way I liked to do business in NC, but it seems that folks out this way are a little reluctant to come around to the idea.

And as usual, if anyone has any jobs/accounts they can't do, swing em' my way. Talk to you guys again soon....I hope, Mike.:usflag:

Diablo
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
How bout a little bump!:usflag:

Diablo
05-22-2009, 04:15 AM
how bout a little bump

coloradoturf
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey Guys, Been reading this forum for a long time and stumbled on this CS area. My business is mostly fertilizing and weed control, but Im also licensed to do the Res/Comm pest control. If you need a QS for anything let me know. I've noticed Dept Ag down here busting some of these peeps spraying without a license.

John

SilverPeakServices
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Hey John,

Just had a customer ask today about pest control. Told him I didn't do that since I'm not licensed. Has a mole/vole problem out in Meridian Ranch.

I am sending him an estimate, I can pass along your info to him if you'd like/

coloradoturf
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
bump it up