PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use to take off you blades?

bigw
12-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Do any of you use impact wrench to take off your blades and to put them back on or do you use a torque wrench and really torque them to specs? I know what you are suppose to do but what do you do?

jaybow
12-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Do any of you use impact wrench to take off your blades and to put them back on or do you use a torque wrench and really torque them to specs? I know what you are suppose to do but what do you do?

Well i cant tell you that this is right but I use an impact gun. This was my first year in the buisness and I have had no problems so far. I would say just dont crank that impact to long when your tightening if you know what i am saying. You wouldnt want to strip the blade spindle.

mower&more1986
12-28-2007, 12:54 AM
on most of my equipment i use the blade buster http://www.gadgetcorner.com/hardw/blade/blade.htm
but on larger equipment with more than two blades id go with a impact wrench
you could probably find a electric one that would be good or get a air compressor and other air tool each come in handy

Icemanku
12-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Use a hockey stick, take the blade off the stick of course but it works great.

topsites
12-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Just don't torque them on real hard, set the torque light and quickly 'pop' it on there, after it seats don't bore it down.
You might then double-check with hand tools, go behind yourself the first few times, until you get the feel of it.
Also make sure you initially hand-thread the nut on there, get it on there a good 4-5 turns, make sure it's on there before you hit it.

Worst case scenario?
You'll strip a bolt, it's annoying and a new bolt is like 10 friggin' dollars, but other than that it's all good, just make sure you put the nut on there by hand and give it more than a few full turns until it's on there, then hit it with the impact and go easy on it.
If you don't have a nut because the bolt goes straight into the spindle, same thing, several full turns.
If you can't take it off with hand tools it might be too tight, but it does need to be on there, either way it's not rocket science.

DO take tools with you, case one should come loose (but this almost never happens), more like if you need to take one off to unwrap some crap that will get tangled up on one or the other, sooner or later :laugh:

Hand tools, impact wrench, either way.
I've never used a torque wrench, not for blades, thou I find I usually need a breaker bar or steel tube to assist.

Roger
12-28-2007, 07:00 AM
For my w/b with a through-bolt, I use a box end wrench on one end, a breaker bar with socket on the other. For my ZTR, I use a 1/2" drive ratchet, and one glove for my hand. In 10 seasons, I have never had to use any excessive force to get a bolt loose.

Since I only have two machines, plus a hand mower (use a box end wrench), I only make about 10 blade changes per week. Using hand tools is much faster than getting out any power tools. If one has more machines, then I can see using power tools. I have not used a torque wrench, just as many others have stated, so I don't know how close I am to recommended measure. But, I have never had a bolt/nut come loose, and never had one too tight I couldn't remove the next time.

hackitdown
12-28-2007, 08:00 AM
I set the machine up with a Jungle Jack which takes maybe 15 seconds. Then I use a cheapo cordless electric impact wrench to remove the blade bolts. It takes about 1 minute for all three. Bought the impact at Pep Boys on sale.

Then I sharpen the blades with a bench grinder and scrape the deck "clean" with a little spade. This part takes me the most time.

To reinstall, I start the blade bolts by hand, then spin them on with the impact wrench, but only until they are just barely seated. I then tighten them down to spec, about 110 lbs, with a Crapsman torque ratchet. I use a 2x4 to prevent the blades from spinning.

The key for me is to have all the tools lined up and ready, which is almost impossible for me to do.

grassnazi1
12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Before I got into lawncare, my father owned a small engine repair shop.... Literally since I have been 10 years old or so we have always just used an impact gun. Its faster and has never caused any issues in the 300 million plus freaking blades I've replaced in my lifetime. As long as your careful and start it by hand first and DONT over do it, I dont think you'll ever have a problem. Also, on most impact guns you can set the torque foot pounds (actually applied air pressure) so depending on if its a home cheapo walk behind or a commercial Z you can adjust the pressure your applying to the nut. Just use common sense and you'll never have an issue.

Jay Ray
12-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Impact off, impact on to snug, then torque to spec.

J&T Kiev
12-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I use 15/16th inch wrench, shop jack(to raise the mower decks) and the wrench in the picture to hold the blades in position.

ed2hess
12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
You can keep it simple by use 2 socket wrenches with 15" handles and drive up on the trailer ramp. Blades can be changed in the field no messing around and use a block of wood and clamp for the blades that don't have a bolt that doesn't go thru to the top of the deck.

bigw
12-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Just don't torque them on real hard, set the torque light and quickly 'pop' it on there, after it seats don't bore it down.
You might then double-check with hand tools, go behind yourself the first few times, until you get the feel of it.
Also make sure you initially hand-thread the nut on there, get it on there a good 4-5 turns, make sure it's on there before you hit it.

Worst case scenario?
You'll strip a bolt, it's annoying and a new bolt is like 10 friggin' dollars, but other than that it's all good, just make sure you put the nut on there by hand and give it more than a few full turns until it's on there, then hit it with the impact and go easy on it.
If you don't have a nut because the bolt goes straight into the spindle, same thing, several full turns.
If you can't take it off with hand tools it might be too tight, but it does need to be on there, either way it's not rocket science.

DO take tools with you, case one should come loose (but this almost never happens), more like if you need to take one off to unwrap some crap that will get tangled up on one or the other, sooner or later :laugh:

Hand tools, impact wrench, either way.
I've never used a torque wrench, not for blades, thou I find I usually need a breaker bar or steel tube to assist.
MY ORIGINAL POST...."Do any of you use impact wrench to take off your blades and to put them back on or do you use a torque wrench and really torque them to specs? I know what you are suppose to do but what do you do?"

I NEVER said it was rocket science,infact i never said i didnt know how to do it,if you read the original post i simply asked what every one else does and rather or not they actually torqued their blades to spec thats all. But thanks for the information.

LAwnpro13
12-29-2007, 12:55 AM
OFF Subject....Great Logo BigW

bigw
12-29-2007, 01:02 AM
OFF Subject....Great Logo BigW

Thanks alot,i like it alot and it is about to go on my truck this weekend and my 8x16 enclosed on both sides and ramp next week. I also got a sign made for my shop and business cards and shirts...all exact same design,even my truck and trailer and sign are black like the business card so it really will look great i think.

bohiaa
12-30-2007, 09:18 PM
MY ORIGINAL POST...."Do any of you use impact wrench to take off your blades and to put them back on or do you use a torque wrench and really torque them to specs? I know what you are suppose to do but what do you do?"

I NEVER said it was rocket science,infact i never said i didnt know how to do it,if you read the original post i simply asked what every one else does and rather or not they actually torqued their blades to spec thats all. But thanks for the information.

Yes.... however NO I dont torque them to specs...

I have seen many people tighten then wayyy too tight.

as I recall my Exmark says 100 lbs. and that is way to tight...

My impact has 3 settings for forward and reverse, I set it on 3 to remove and 1 to install...

I use a stand I built to raise the mower up in the air. it takes me about 3 to 5 minutes to change out a set of blades....

jaybow
12-30-2007, 09:47 PM
I use a front caster wheel!!!!
I was out mowing this summer and apperantly when I mowed under some bushes that hung over it snagged the clip ring out of one of the casters on the front of my quick 36.Well I finished mowing the front and went to the back to mow there is a raised area where there was a vegetable garden before but now is filled with grass.When I went to go down off of the raised area of lawn I tilted the mower to avoid scalping when I hear a loud noise and the mower stopped instantly.Turns out the caster fell off and went into the blades.It just bent the wheel a little and popped the tire. Easy fix.

pricejs
12-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I use a 1/2" breaker bar...but, to hold the blades, I use a shortened-up cargo strap from the frame to the outside edge of the blade. The vinal covered hook goes over the dull edge and for tightening, it goes over the back edge...never touches the sharp part.
cheers
jsp

Down2EarthLawns
12-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Impact for my Z's. Never had any problems.

Grits
12-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Wrench and socket. Tighten by hand, not to specs.

txgrassguy
12-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Impact on/off.
With over twenty machines there is no way I am going to torque each freaking blade bolt.
In the unlikely event a blade is damaged in the field, the two primary service trucks have el cheapo pancake air compressors on them. If they need recharged to impact a blade bolt or re-fill a deflated tire simply plug them in to the closest outlet, in a flash they are re-filled and good to go.

DLAWNS
01-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I just use an impact wrench and air compressor for my blades. In an emergency I use a 15/16 wrench/socket set. But next year I'm going to buy a battery one for the truck.