PDA

View Full Version : New air horn

topsites
12-28-2007, 01:37 AM
I had this laying around from a prior application, my past trucks the OEM's were loud enough but this one just whimpered on the toot... This bad boy fixed it, I believe I paid 140 for this setup back when, relay, pump, horns and all, hooked into the steering wheel button.

The compressor is actually inside the fender, I did have to use vacuum tubing as the original air line was brittle,
but the blue canister thing is my coil.

Not quite as loud as an 18-wheeler, I suspect theirs have more psi but the steel horns give it that same tone.

Pro-Turf, LLC
12-28-2007, 03:53 AM
thats awsome i have been thinking about putting one on my truck

topsites
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
thats awsome i have been thinking about putting one on my truck

It's pretty cool I think but definitely get the real deal if you ever do, it costs more money but I don't think those plastic horns they sell at auto stores compare with their 'wheee' like sound. It's a darn shame because it's all in the length of the tube, I think you could have plastic horns if only the tube was long enough, the snouts I mean, not sure what they're called (and of course it never is, all the plastic ones are too short to get depth of sound).

The right ones sure cost more, but you get that rig "Baaaaawp" sound, well worth it in my opinion, the real deal. These were actually considered a 'starter set,' the real high end ones cost a lot more, I'd think 300'ish but these are plenty toot. Personally I'd like slightly louder, but too much wouldn't do either... Gets to a point you need pneumatic power too (like air brakes) I think some of the very high end ones have a small air tank as part of the system... This one's straight compressor-to-horn, the length of the air line carrying the air has a lot of effect (shorter air line is better).

The worst part is hooking up that relay, and finding a spot for it all, really not too bad thou, very short afternoon, 1-2 hours.
I'd also be for buying or using some thicker gauge wire than what comes with it, at least mine came with some awful thin stuff, I ended up using slightly thicker, beefier wiring.

The horns last forever so long they're kept out of the rain, the compressor can be replaced by itself, as can relay and anything else, just costs less initially to buy as a package. Now it says in the instructions to never do this lol but I found after 5-6 years of these things having been used and sitting around, several drops of oil added to the compressor got it going real good again.

Make sure to keep the OEM's in place, at 1-200 dollars it can be worth it to transfer the air horns back out when it comes time to sell, while leaving in place won't hurt the resale value.

MarcSmith
12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
I mounted a set of wolo 417 dual long tubes on my chevy tracker and the wifes minivan. both tubes are behind the grille in front of radiator. i pointed them down to the ground, so no dead buggies or water inside. I probably lost a bit by angling them downwards, but i wanted to have em outside the engine bay and i wanted to utilize the original horn mounting locations

Its nice to push the horn button on the steering wheel and watch people move....It took some getting used to the compressor lag...

MarcSmith
12-28-2007, 10:19 AM
fwiw my tubes are in the 12" range...definately not stubbies and for 50 bucks easy on the wallet

rookiemower
12-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I have two sets of air horns out of a mack truck on my F-350. I run my system of a 125cubic ft nitrogen tank which is also set up with a quick coupler for putting air in tires etc.
i put a momentary push button in the dash next to the steering wheel. I mounted the horns on my frame rails. and installed a 12 volt valve. Its louder than most trucks on the road!!!

FIRESCOOBY
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
This is what I wanna get. It's a Grover Stuttertone emergency airhorn. We've got them on our fire apparatus. They are LOUD!!!
http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/images/jepg/1510KIT_750.jpg

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Come on, be a MAN. Get a TRAIN HORN!!!

I need to do something about my horn on my GMC. There's something wrong, and it keeps blowing the fuse! I rarely use the horn, other than for when I lock the truck it's nice when it will give the little "toot" to let me know it's locked. Also if I get a little road raged at the slow (and DUMB) as hell driver in front of me.

May have to look into a horn like this...

topsites
12-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Ebay has some pretty nice deals but you do have to weed through and look good, the ones with a tank like above usually run about $400, without a tank anything half decent still cost you 140-200.

A lot has to do with psi and length of horn, the shorter horns have a higher pitch, the longer the tubes the deeper the bellow, the higher the psi the louder it gets. Whatever you do don't get the red plastic ones lol.

As a rule of thumb you have to get over 50 psi, once you get into 80 you're gtg but you can't take their ratings as gold either, there's no standard on measuring psi's (oh and same goes for decibels).

Certainly I think it should have a return policy if not satisfied, after it's all said and done I think that could be an important deciding factor.

I think because of the hype and possibility of getting less than what I wanted I bought mine from a local trucker's toy store, I paid more for what I got but the results were considerably more to my liking. Also have to consider shipping, if I'm not happy then I have to pay for shipping back, too...

Here's one that might be ok:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-Truck-Air-Horns-110-PSI-Compressor-Tank-NEW-G1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQihZ005QQitemZ150198779397QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosti ng
(no guarantees from me thou lol)

LindblomRJ
12-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Train horn is the way to go. As long as you have the air supply.

fastcat
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
ive got a bicycle horn taped to the side view mirror. thats pimpin.:O

Evans Lawn Service
12-29-2007, 11:08 PM
OK if you want to get a air tank and compressors and line just look in a mini truck magazine or street truck magazine they are cheap for both and you can get a 145psi cut off for 20 or so dollars.......PS the tanks and stuff come off air bag suspensions on show trucks

cantoo
12-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I used to have a set of air horns mounted on my snowmobile. Once in awhile cross country skiers would use our snowmobile trail, crest a hill and there they would be in the middle of the trail. Pretty handy for getting deer off the trail too.