PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

Icemanku
12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
How many lawns is too much for one person to handle? I'm buying an existing business with 20 lawns and in August I'll be buying another 25 lawns. Each lawn is priced at 30-40 bucks and takes about 30-45 minutes to mow with one person.

Also how much could I expect to take home after tax?(ball park)

hackitdown
12-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Does your 30-45 minutes include unload, load, and drive time? And there is a big difference between 30 and 45.

Working solo, I am able to do a little more than 1 per hour on average, maybe 9 or 10 per day, including drive time. But we have big lawns here, and they cost an average of $50 per lawn.

Icemanku
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
that includes drive time and everything.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Shouldn't you know all this info before buying the accounts? I have done 23 in one day solo (14 hour day) but usually try to stay between 10-15 since thats a easy pace.

Icemanku
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I do know all of this. I'd like to hear from you guy what you think...that's the point of a forum.

How much is too much?

nobagger
12-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I do know all of this. I'd like to hear from you guy what you think...that's the point of a forum.

How much is too much?

Honestly, this will depend on a lot of things, such as type of equipment, you can get a lot more done with a 36" vs. a 21" mower or even a rider. Also the experience you have in the business and on the equipment. Sized of the lots are also going to be a factor obviously. I would guess an experienced guy with the right equipment and minimal drive time could do at least 10-15 lawns that are under 5000sqft. which includes trimming and edging.

Icemanku
12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a 2008 F-150 with a V8.
My Trailer holds one 36' and two 28" mowers.
I have 3 trimmers
1 backpack blower, 2 hand held blowers

The average lawn pays 40 dollars

The average time per lawn including drive time is about 35 minutes.

My one and only question is if I was to add more lawns in the same area how much would be too much?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-28-2007, 02:04 PM
How would we know whats too much for you. 45 accounts total, easy 3-4 days worth. Then again you might be slower then some or faster so it would vary.

Icemanku
12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
That's about the # I was thinking...

Thanks

cgrappler135
12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah i agree 45 is a good number! I am a solo operater and have 57 lawns which range from $20-30 and its about 3 days worth at an alright pace for me. So that leaves me plenty of extra time in case of rain days, break downs,other landscape job, etc. Once you get into the routine yourself you'll be able to judge how much is too much for you!

grassnazi1
12-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Its really an open ended question here. Take for instance two different mechanics, both with similiar tools and experience performing an oil change on about the same car... how many of those could they each do in a day? Beats me, depends on how hard you wanna bust your ass.... Best way to put it, I have seen some guys bang out 20 lawns a day 6 days a week and others do half that and be more tired... So you tell us, how much is too much? Guess when you have a heart attack or stroke you might wanna cut back one or two lawns! :)

topsites
12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Too much is when you can't finish what's on the schedule ehehehe

But my attitude is there is no such thing, if things get that busy just raise the prices some, I am serious if you raise your prices 5 lousy bucks that phone will slow WAY down LOL.

So 40-45 is a very solid number for a first year, yes.
But get what you can, like I said, my attitude is you can't really have too much, I'd start going up by 5 bucks as you get within a FEW slots of that magic number, where you start to feel full up. And yes you will feel it, worst thing is you get full up before you notice, now you have several choices: Tell customers the truth sorry I am full, OR start thinking along the lines of culling out the herd, I'm sure there's another tip or two, but this just was not my problem, not the first year anyhow.

And IF you do go over, welps, it's an interesting problem, might not be the best thing for a 1st year Lco to experience but other than for the mental dilemma I think you'd survive mostly unscathed. If it does happen and you get overwhelmed, best I recommend is just start right at the top of the schedule, pick the first lawn that needs doing, and go do that, all you worry about is that one, until it is done... Then, on to the next but that's the trick, one lawn, and one day at a time, lalala.

Really so long my prices were right I don't think I have ever had that problem, for real.
I'd go for full blast and if you overshoot oh well, personally.

Best of luck

LAwnpro13
12-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Too much is when you can't finish what's on the schedule ehehehe

But my attitude is there is no such thing, if things get that busy just raise the prices some, I am serious if you raise your prices 5 lousy bucks that phone will slow WAY down LOL.

So 40-45 is a very solid number for a first year, yes.
But get what you can, like I said, my attitude is you can't really have too much, I'd start going up by 5 bucks as you get within a FEW slots of that magic number, where you start to feel full up. And yes you will feel it, worst thing is you get full up before you notice, now you have several choices: Tell customers the truth sorry I am full, OR start thinking along the lines of culling out the herd, I'm sure there's another tip or two, but this just was not my problem, not the first year anyhow.

And IF you do go over, welps, it's an interesting problem, might not be the best thing for a 1st year Lco to experience but other than for the mental dilemma I think you'd survive mostly unscathed. If it does happen and you get overwhelmed, best I recommend is just start right at the top of the schedule, pick the first lawn that needs doing, and go do that, all you worry about is that one, until it is done... Then, on to the next but that's the trick, one lawn, and one day at a time, lalala.

Really so long my prices were right I don't think I have ever had that problem, for real.
I'd go for full blast and if you overshoot oh well, personally.

Best of luck

:clapping:Great Post and perfect answer IMO:clapping:
I ditto this whole response, man knows the answer!

RickR1818
12-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Take however many you can get. I am sure there are going to be a few PITA's that you can weed out if you get too busy. If you start to feel too busy, you can always get a helper. I am sure you know someone that could help even if it was just 1 day a week. Then in theory you can almost double your productivity for that one day and try and knock out as many as possible.

hackitdown
12-29-2007, 04:51 PM
The average time per lawn including drive time is about 35 minutes.

My one and only question is if I was to add more lawns in the same area how much would be too much?

if 1 day = 8 hours then 480 minutes of work per day.
480 minutes / 35 minutes per lawn = 13.7 lawns per day.
13.7 lawns X 4 days = 54.8 lawns
13.7 lawns X 5 days = 68.5 lawns

I seem to be able to only plan on 4 days due to rain, repairs, etc. But maybe you could plan on 5 if you can work weekends. Or 12 hour days. Or...

Dave_005
12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
How much is to much ? that all depends on You, the size of your yards, your equipment etc. i have 37 residential acconuts now and looking to increase to aroun 60 weekly mowing accounts for 2008. they not real big and i avg 3 - 5 pr hr. if i add just one worker i can increase alot more, but prefer solo for now.

WHIPPLE5.7
12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Many things here have to be considered. I like to really load up early in the season because we get so hot and dry by July and August that most of the weekly accounts turn in every other week because growth really slows. Its just part of the biz. Many LCOs require weekly mowing just to continue making the continuous coin but some of have alittle more integrity and mow when its needed. Another problem for myself is all of my customers want grass bagged so I have to done in enough time to get to the landfill for emptying the trailer. It all gets frustrating but just get a system that works and stick with it. Most of my money is made with spring dethatching, aerations, and mowing from May thru June. July and August start to wind things down until fall and I get leaf and gutter cleanups.

lawnshark2420
01-01-2008, 09:21 PM
icemanku, if you do 11 to 12 lawns per day you can be done with your routes in 4 days so you still have room for more accounts if your full time, and the yard sizes are average. good luck!

capetrees
01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
And then add in rain, sickness, macinery breakdowns, additional work the residences are going to be looking for like spring and fall cleanups, flower bed maintainance, mulching, lawn installations, etc. all along with ongoing schedule of constant weekly cuts being done alone. Be careful.

American_Lawn
01-02-2008, 02:25 AM
All of my accounts are mow, trim, blow, touch up hedges and go. I can do about 20-25 a day by myself. I average 2 an hr by myself and 3 with an helper. I love being slammed with work. It is the only way I can sleep at night.:sleeping: