PDA

View Full Version : Put a flatbed on my 05 F-350

Smitty58
12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I have a 2005 F-350 that was involved in a pretty bad accident a month ago. I've been thinking about a flatbed so since the stock bed was destroyed I decided to do it. It is a 8 ft Knapheide body ,wish it was a little longer but it isn't. So now I'm thinking about doing a short dovetail extension on the back. I have seen a couple custom beds on here that can haul mowers ,my question is which way is better. Dovetail off the back with ramps ,or do ramps off the passenger side. I kind of like the side idea ,have seen some ramps on the side that quads can drive right on to the truck. I'll post a picture now of the truck when it got wrecked and then I'll post a new pic with the flatbed when I get it back from the body shop. Which way would you do a ramp ,back or side.

Smitty58
12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Forgot the picture, here it is.

TXNSLighting
12-28-2007, 02:09 PM
suprised they didnt total it...they total anything everything here.

Fordsuvparts
12-28-2007, 02:51 PM
who was at fault, it doesn't look like you caused the accident, who did??

Smitty58
12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
No not my fault, young guy ran a stop sign and nailed me. Only $15000 damage, I too was shocked they didn't total it. I was wanting to put a flatbed on it anyway so all I had to do was nearly die to get it.

Fordsuvparts
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm sure it was well worth the wait. I do had a truck hit like that a few years ago and it too is sporting a steel flatbed now. I put the extra $2500 in my account and smiled.

TXNSLighting
12-28-2007, 05:24 PM
we have an auto salvage yard in town that had a 08 king ranch in. it looked like it may have rolled. but it ran and really wasnt that much damage. they totalled it. wierd. and today they have another 08 lariat. looks like it hit a telephone pole. totalled it... no way it was close to 15,000 in damage. very weird.

Adam's Lawn and Garden
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I have a '99 F-350. I have a truck craft aluminum bed on it and it's great. I would recommend putting a hoist on which ever one you get. The aluminum ones are nice because they weigh alot less than the steal ones.

Adam

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Dovetail and back... for sure. If you did sideramps, They would have to be at least 11 feet long. Even folded in half, that's big!

tnmtn
12-28-2007, 07:24 PM
i like the idea of the removable dovetail someone had posted pics of on a npr. i believe they were from neely coble in nashville.

RedWingsDet
12-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Once its fixed, why dont you sell it and get a new one. It looks like a lot of damage, I would expect within the next year or two you will have issues with the truck. Pretty much... The truck will never be the same like it was before the accident. Glad your O.K. though!

RedWingsDet
12-29-2007, 03:55 AM
we have an auto salvage yard in town that had a 08 king ranch in. it looked like it may have rolled. but it ran and really wasnt that much damage. they totalled it. wierd. and today they have another 08 lariat. looks like it hit a telephone pole. totalled it... no way it was close to 15,000 in damage. very weird.

maybe the adjusters have a deal with the salvage yards.

Smitty58
12-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Accu-cut ,I've seen your truck with the dovetail that's what got me thinking about the dovetail idea. I really don't want to sell it and in fact it's probably now worth a whole lot less than before the wreck so I'm pretty much stuck with it unless I want to lose about $10,000. Only time will tell. So I think I'll look at putting a small dovetail off the back.

Accu-cut do you have any dimensions on yours ,like angle and length of the dovetail? Would you change anything if you were doing it again?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I'll check out the angle and dimensions and post them later. If I were to change anything, I'd make the ramp treads "slideable" to accomodate smaller wbs. For me though, it works very well and is especially handy in tight res or comm accounts.

LindblomRJ
12-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=131965

About post 174 in that area it shows the ramps he made. Might be lighter than a dove tail. When stowed away wouldn't add a lot of length to the back of the bed. I think later on in the thread he adds springs to make deployment and retraction easy.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-29-2007, 08:27 PM
I have foldable ramps, too. Mine open and close as one... and since the middle is open, it is very managable for one person to operate without helper systems. The opening in the middle is also EXTREMELY good for field service of the blades. It's as functional as any bay I've ever used. With a 12 volt impact outfitted with a 7 pole plug, I can change blades in 30 seconds. It's handy for cleaning decks, too.

KTM
12-30-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't mean to steal this thread but would anybody mind telling me what a steal or aluminium flatbed would cost for srw? any recomended brands? I have a 97 dodge cummins that I bought with pretty low miles, I want to give the truck a facelift but the box is kind off crappy so I wouldnt mind putting the money towards a flatbed instead of a used box, thanks.