PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot type aluminum flat bed

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
...anyone know how these trucks stand up to landscaping use? I heard Home Depot auctions off the trucks after so many years. How hard would it be to install a dump cylinder on it?

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 05:02 PM
If you lived around here you could buy one easy! Our local Chevy dealer got a bunch of them in this summer, I guess HD must have traded up and went with chevys now! They still have at least one on the lot, at least what I've seen driving by. They are kinda hard to miss, lol.

As for making them into a dump, probably wouldn't be any harder than turhing any flatbed into a dump (other than the challenge posed by the aluminium). It's not an easy project, but someone with a good welder and the skills can do it. Big drawback (to me) is the size of the beds. They are relitavley small for use as a dump bed. But I suppose it depends on what you plan on hauling.

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 10:11 PM
The dump charges us $38/ton to take tree and yard debris, then up to $21 cu.yd. to buy compost, topsoil, and mulch. I think one of these trucks could haul twice as much as a pick-up. This would cost me less than two runs in a pick-up with only one driver, no helper to unload if it dumps. I just found this dump kit online for these today so I'm curious. I like the bed cause the sides fold down for pallets.

http://www.stealthdumptrucks.com/homedepotdump.jpg

KS_Grasscutter
12-28-2007, 10:21 PM
If you lived around here you could buy one easy! Our local Chevy dealer got a bunch of them in this summer, I guess HD must have traded up and went with chevys now! They still have at least one on the lot, at least what I've seen driving by. They are kinda hard to miss, lol.

As for making them into a dump, probably wouldn't be any harder than turhing any flatbed into a dump (other than the challenge posed by the aluminium). It's not an easy project, but someone with a good welder and the skills can do it. Big drawback (to me) is the size of the beds. They are relitavley small for use as a dump bed. But I suppose it depends on what you plan on hauling.

Actually, I think they still have quite a few (at least 4 or 5) around back. Think they might buy them at wholesale auctions and resale them, because the new trade-ins they keep getting still seem to be Fords.

EDIT:
Here are some more links to dump bed kits, just found these in the last couple days, planning to put a dumping flatbed on a truck in the next couple months.
http://www.piercewrecker.com/dump.htm
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336189_200336189

Gravel Rat
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
You can make a aluminum bed dump but it may need some extra bracing to keep it from twisting. Problem you will run into is P/U truck frames are 37 inches wide and scissor hoists are set for a 34 inch wide frame which cab and chassis are. Your second option could be underslung hoist which uses two small cylinders to dump the deck. Problem with underslung is the bottom of the cylinders hang below the truck frame.

My first choice would be a telescoping hoist but it will take some fabricating. For a small 9 foot deck you wouldn't need a big cylinder. A 2 stage cylinder would probably do the job.

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 10:38 PM
That 5 ton hoist is 10.65" high X 33.59" long when closed. It won't fit under the home depot flat bed. Those trucks ave 34" wide flat frames.

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Scissor hoists don't care how wide the frame is. YOu have to adjust them to fit the bed you are working with. As long as the frame rails are straight (and I don't know how these trucks are built). The 2 center rails for he flatbed should be sitting ON the truck frame rails. The hoist "simply" sits between the rails.

Problem will likely be the frame rail height on the flat bed itself. Most hoist kits need a 6" rail height. Of course the frame rail on the bed could be added on too.

I personally see nothing wrong with the scissor type hoists. For flatbed and p/u bed applications they work great and are very reliable.

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 10:55 PM
That 5 ton hoist is 10.65" high X 33.59" long when closed. It won't fit under the home depot flat bed. Those trucks ave 34" wide flat frames.

What does the length and height measurement have to do with the FRAME WIDTH? As long as the hoist is less than 34" WIDE it would fit fine, other than the height restrictions I mentioned above.

FWIW. I know a local guy that has/had a truck identical to the HD trucks, only his is white. Same truck and bed though, and he has a scissor type hoist under the bed on it.

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I read the installation instructions for the 5 ton hoist. That hoist is huge. It belongs under a F-450 or 550, not a F-350 single rear wheel.

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Different brand... But this is a 5 ton hoist, under a 3/4 ton truck.

You have the remember that the "5 ton" rating is really just a number, it's not the actual lifting capability of the hoist. I probably am getting 4 tons out of mine due to the incresed dump angle I'm running.

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Where can I get one of those? You got more pictures? How much did it cost?

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 11:35 PM
http://www.tafcoequip.com/hoists.htm However I don't see that you can order direct. I *thought* mine was the LL-600, becuase mine requires a 6" frame rail height, but judging by the size of the unit I'm betting mine is the LL-400. From the specs. the absolute minimum lift capacity is about 4.6 tons with a 9' bed (like mine) I got mine originally from a local hydraulic shop.

This hoist was on my old truck, an '88 ford F-250. The hyd. shop did the install on this truck. After about 4 years it was pretty much DEAD (the truck that is) so 2 years ago I bought the Dodge and my step-dad and I Stripped the hoist and pump off of the Ford and put it on the Dodge. Rest assured, not an easy task! Took about 6 "weekends" working on it, mostly outdoors in the winter... Of course that winter was VERY mild for the 6 weeks we were out there!

Anyway. Cost of hoist then was about $1,400, this one may be more now, but I see that the others listed on here are in the same price range. What eats money is all the extra materials needed to level the frame rails and build a hitch on the truck. Plan on another $1,000 for that. If you have to hire the whole thing installed plan $3,000 to $3,500 total, since you already have the flatbed, that's a big savings up front.

More pics... have a bunch of pics, but all are the same! Never got really "detailed" shots of any of the process I guess...

Jason Rose
12-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Wait a minute... are the the aluminium beds on the HD trucks SCOTT brand beds??? I just noticed that they make beds... with fold down sides... http://www.tafcoequip.com/scotbod.htm (2nd from the bottom) "landscape body"

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 11:55 PM
That's alot of homework, welding and fabricating. I need to call those guys about the bolt on kit.

Jason Rose
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Hey, I drove by the dealership today that has the Home Depot trucks on the lot and they ARE the Scott beds! They are also straight rail frames on the truck, so they are essentially hoist ready. If you don't mind that these trucks have few ammentities inside and are orange, they are set up realy nice!

As for the "bolt on" kit. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing... All the kits require welding and some fabrication. Only way to get around the fabrication would be to buy a truck with a standard bed and then put a dump bed insert in it.

Boycea
01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Found one with 45k miles on it for $10,900

http://www.lindersinc.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=dcfaf315404638720080bc285f9ab4bc

supercuts
01-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Found one with 45k miles on it for $10,900

http://www.lindersinc.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=dcfaf315404638720080bc285f9ab4bc

IMO you would have to be crazy to buy one of these trucks for over $10K. by the time you make it dump, im assuming your into it for another few thousand. at that point, you can buy good REAL dump, not a home depot special that has been used and abused. my 00 f550 with 57k miles powerstroke, 12' landscape dump was advertised for $19k had him down to $16k on phone, another $500 for tires and then test drove it, wouldnt shift into 4th gear, he sold me the truck for $10,500 with the bad tranny. $3k for a tranny, truck was $13500 for a serious work truck with a diesel.