PDA

View Full Version : Complete Lawn Program

just1rc
12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Looking for alittle help here in the Kansas city ks area.
I've had my own little lawn service for the past 4 years as my second job
(I work night) and have an average of 25 yards a week and growing each year. More and more of my customers are asking me about fertilizing there yards this season 2008. And I would like to make alittle more money doing this. Here's where ya slap me!!! on my own yard I use Hummert and follow Toby Tobins program. So I guess my question is if I use lesco brand fertilizer what kind of program would I offer my customers? for a 5 or 6 application program.

Thank you for any help
Roger C
Roger's Lawn Care

Marcos
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Looking for alittle help here in the Kansas city ks area.
I've had my own little lawn service for the past 4 years as my second job
(I work night) and have an average of 25 yards a week and growing each year. More and more of my customers are asking me about fertilizing there yards this season 2008. And I would like to make alittle more money doing this. Here's where ya slap me!!! on my own yard I use Hummert and follow Toby Tobins program. So I guess my question is if I use lesco brand fertilizer what kind of program would I offer my customers? for a 5 or 6 application program.

Thank you for any help
Roger C
Roger's Lawn Care

Hi Roger...

Regarding WEEDS, you didn't say whether you're going to buy a sprayer, or whether you're going the (less effective in the long term) and more EXPENSIVE 'weed -n-feed' granular route...

But here's some ideas on straight fertilizer and we can mix weeds in later if you want...

Because you're interested in both services of mowing and fertilization and weed control, I would tend to steer you toward the lower analysis products for the 1st two 'rounds' of the year, at least.

The reason many mowers / applicators do this is to not " cut their own throats " per se if the weather gets too wet and wild in mid to late spring, and they find themselves staring out the window at the swamplands of rapidly growing turf !:cry:

So... With that in mind, I'd recommend Lesco's :
(check with your Lesco rep for the correct A.I. % for Dimension for your climate)

Round 1
DIMENSION 13-2-5 30% sulfur coated urea (scu)

Round 2.... all rounds approx 6 weeks later
24-0-11 50% scu w/ 2% iron 1% manganese

or-(customer option..extra $$$ of course)..Grub control product (Merit or Mach 2) with 24-5-11 ...talk to rep about this. You should sell this to people with history of grubworm issues. (Not MOLE issues.)

Round 3
32-0-10 75% scu 2% iron

Round 4
32-3-8 30% scu 2% iron

Round 5
32-3-8 30% scu 2% iron

Midstate Lawncare
01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Roger...

Regarding WEEDS, you didn't say whether you're going to buy a sprayer, or whether you're going the (less effective in the long term) and more EXPENSIVE 'weed -n-feed' granular route...

But here's some ideas on straight fertilizer and we can mix weeds in later if you want...

Because you're interested in both services of mowing and fertilization and weed control, I would tend to steer you toward the lower analysis products for the 1st two 'rounds' of the year, at least.

The reason many mowers / applicators do this is to not " cut their own throats " per se if the weather gets too wet and wild in mid to late spring, and they find themselves staring out the window at the swamplands of rapidly growing turf !:cry:

So... With that in mind, I'd recommend Lesco's :
(check with your Lesco rep for the correct A.I. % for Dimension for your climate)

Round 1
DIMENSION 13-2-5 30% sulfur coated urea (scu)

Round 2.... all rounds approx 6 weeks later
24-0-11 50% scu w/ 2% iron 1% manganese

or-(customer option..extra $$$ of course)..Grub control product (Merit or Mach 2) with 24-5-11 ...talk to rep about this. You should sell this to people with history of grubworm issues. (Not MOLE issues.)

Round 3
32-0-10 75% scu 2% iron

Round 4
32-3-8 30% scu 2% iron

Round 5
32-3-8 30% scu 2% iron

Dimension is only 1 of a few different pre-emergents, I personally have not had good luck with it. Barricade has never let me down. Weed control is a whole other story.
(grub control) Merit and Mach2 are comparable I have had good luck with both.
Sulfur coated urea (scu) is overrated. don't use it before may 15 and after sep. 15. you will get alot more mowing work, and your, lawns will look impressive.
keeping your apps 6 weeks apart:
rd1-march 1st pre-emergent 19-0-6
rd2-april 15th fert 24-5-11(spot spray weed control)
rd3-june 1st grub control 19-0-6 (spot spray weed control)
rd4-july 15th 24-0-11 50% scu fert
rd5-september 15th 19-19-19/6-24-24(starter fert for repairing summer damage)(spot spray weed control)
rd6-oct 15th 46-0-0 (get a few more mowings out of it)

humble1
01-04-2008, 10:55 AM
just my 2 cents Marcos has always given good advice to me and others, you could also post this on the pesticide thread. Are you licensed, if not you should contact your Dept of Agriculture Pesticide Licensing beureau. You dont want to get pinched, and you dont want to have a situation where you could put yourself in a liability situation.

LawnTamer
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
just my 2 cents Marcos has always given good advice to me and others, you could also post this on the pesticide thread. Are you licensed, if not you should contact your Dept of Agriculture Pesticide Licensing beureau. You dont want to get pinched, and you dont want to have a situation where you could put yourself in a liability situation.

Yes, someone from the Dept. of Ag. could help clarify your state's laws.

Federal law requires that you be a licensed applicator to apply any EPA registered pesticide on other properties, or for compensation. This would include pre-emergents, weed and insect controls. In addition a few states require a license for fertilizer.
Fines can be steep for violators, here the fine is $50-200 per incident. So applying weed-n-feed to 20 lawns would net me a $1,000-4,000 fine.

Marcos
01-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Well, from my perspective on this site and at trade shows, etc I think anyone who's reached the point that 'Just1rc' has in their planning should no doubt know something by now about licensing for pesticide application in their state.

And if they say they don't; in my opinion they're either too LAZY to get one, aren't serious about being a professional applicator, or they're too stupid to realize the consequences of getting caught.

In my opinion there's too much 'buzz' in the green industry about state pesticide licensing requirements for any individual to be completely ignorant of the need for them !

...with the exception of maybe the youngsters coming up out of high school or whatever...

But all the vocational school courses teach kids about licensing.