PDA

View Full Version : trailer drag

rcracer
12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I was looking for some advice. I have a 07 chevrolet swb v-6. I just bought a 6 x 12 trailer with ramp on the back of it. Heres the thing when I get up to about 50 or 60 the ramp creates such a drag that the truck barely pulls itself. And that is empty. I mean I know the v-6 is gutless but I didnt think it would be that bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :usflag:

topsites
12-28-2007, 06:31 PM
I've always been able to do at least 55, even with my first 28-year old truck...
I'm talking that old thing might've had a v-8 but it was super worn, too.
Now it might take 5 miles to get up there, or however long it takes, just take it easy.

My newest d2500 has a 5.9 Liter V-8 and that speedo goes to 120+...
It probably has a governor but other than the odd ooops I don't think I've ever had it much past 60-65, 70 at the absolute most.
And once that trailer of mine is loaded I can burn rubber and it still don't move but so fast, with the throttle floorboarded it still won't even keep up with cars, so I just take it easy, don't make much sense anyhow.

That's all part of inertia, I've got about 4 tons the truck has to move, v6, v8, v12, it ain't gonna MOVE but so fast, and then there's the reason for it you have to think about stopping... For an 18-wheeler they recommend following distances of 10-15 seconds, that's a 1/4 mile at 60mph, I myself follow at around 8-10 seconds distance from the car(s) in front, because it takes so much TIME to move and stop these things.

So for the most part gutless is normal when towing, it don't drive like a car.
Nor do you want it to, slow might be the best way to learn, it really is the only way you're supposed to drive when towing.

Or you can either get a 3/4 ton or buy an aluminum trailer, but you still have to drive slow, even if you've got the power it just wears the crap out of everything but bigger trucks do have more giddyup.

rcracer
12-28-2007, 06:36 PM
very true and thanks it just seems like I cant even run in overdrive on a straight stretch. It is an automatic and even on flat ground it always shifts down.:usflag:

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Keep it out of OD.

rcracer
12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah its just aggrevating and i think it is going to hurt my gas mileage. I mean if I can get the same mileage from a v-8 why keep the 6

topsites
12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I can't do much O/D'ing in mine either and it is frustrating but just how it is, best to click the button and let it be, rpm's of 3000 or so is not that big of a deal just keep up on oil and filter changes, trans fluid and filter every 10k also (messy but well worth it). For a 6-cyl you might even glean 3500-4000 rpm's but I'm not sure where your redline is, assuming it's at 5000 I wouldn't go much past 3500, if it's 6000 then 4k should be fine, if that's what it takes to do 50-55.
Or just do 45, heck with it.

Check the oil frequently, change it and the filter every 3,000, religiously.

So it does hold you back but that's normal for a first year, even my 2nd truck wasn't all that but in ways I miss those days, in later years everything gets so dang expensive... My mpg is 11, so if you're getting even 14-16 be glad, be very glad.

corey4671
12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
with my Z71 I ahd to keep it in 3rd to tow my trailer and that was with the 5.3 V8 so don't think that just stepping up to any old V8 will solve the problem. When I traded for my 3/4 ton with the 6.0, it was the differnce in day and night. Although I know I shouldn't do it, I can't tell any differnce in running the truck in OD without the trailer as I can pulling the trailer. I just put it in OD and click the tow/haul button and head on down the road. Rear end gear ratio makes a differnece as well. My Z71 had 3.73's while the 2500 has 4.10s. Bigger torque and umph and the gears gives it more guts.

Growing up on a farm where we were constantly hauling hay and livestock and crops, I would NEVER NEVER have a truck with a V6. I had to learn the hard way about 1/2 tons as well. They just are not built to be pulling moderate to heavy loads day in and day out. DOn't get me wrong, they have their place..picking up a few bags of feed, maybe towing the boat or sea doo to the lake but not towing these lawn care trailers on a daily basis. Been there, done that, got the t shirt...no thanks.

dgZtrak737
12-28-2007, 07:25 PM
I use to have a chevrolet swb, 2wd with the 4.3 V6. I also had 308 gears. And I pulled a 16 ft trailer with 2 JD 737 Ztraks Trimmers and a pressure washer. My problem was stopping. NO it isnt going to run a race with that load, but it will pull it. When I broke my partnership and went to mowing by myself, I used a 6X12 Trailer. I had no problems. My gas mileage was about 15 Pulling. NOW I have a 4.8 V8 in a 2006 Chevrolet SWB 2wd my gas mileage is about 13. I suggest if your going to get a V8 in a chevrolet get a 5.3

p.s I also pulled a small tractor and bush hog with my v6. I was a very very very good truck. It did more than it was suppose to. I never had transmission problems and when I traded it. It had 175,000 miles on it.

corey4671
12-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I use to have a chevrolet swb, 2wd with the 4.3 V6. I also had 308 gears. And I pulled a 16 ft trailer with 2 JD 737 Ztraks Trimmers and a pressure washer. My problem was stopping. NO it isnt going to run a race with that load, but it will pull it. When I broke my partnership and went to mowing by myself, I used a 6X12 Trailer. I had no problems. My gas mileage was about 15 Pulling. NOW I have a 4.8 V8 in a 2006 Chevrolet SWB 2wd my gas mileage is about 13. I suggest if your going to get a V8 in a chevrolet get a 5.3

p.s I also pulled a small tractor and bush hog with my v6. I was a very very very good truck. It did more than it was suppose to. I never had transmission problems and when I traded it. It had 175,000 miles on it.

yeah but it is to be expected in north alabama to try and do more with a truck than it is built to do :laugh:

rcracer
12-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks a million for all the help. I will just use the truck I mean it has a warranty anyways. It will get desent gas mileage and for my first year I am lucky to have a nice truck. I should be thanhful that is what 6 years in the Air Force will do for you. I am due to get out February 5 just in time for the mowing season.:usflag:

corey4671
12-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks a million for all the help. I will just use the truck I mean it has a warranty anyways. It will get desent gas mileage and for my first year I am lucky to have a nice truck. I should be thanhful that is what 6 years in the Air Force will do for you. I am due to get out February 5 just in time for the mowing season.:usflag:

thanks for your service :usflag::usflag:

rcracer
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the thank you and for your appreciation.

Grits
12-29-2007, 12:07 AM
What is the gate made out of? Is it solid or expanded steel?

rcracer
12-29-2007, 01:40 PM
The gate is made out of expanded steel with the holes in it. I didnt think it would create such a drag.:usflag:

cantoo
12-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Maybe see if you can split the gate or shorthen the height. Anything you can do to reduce the drag will help. Maybe you can get away with only mesh were the wheels ride? I try to make all of my gates removable so that when I have a long haul I remove them and just use ramps that day.

KGR landscapeing
12-29-2007, 02:18 PM
i pull my enclosed down the freeway 60 its like pulling a house down the road but u dont even know its there. i have a 5.4 V8 thou. just keep ur distance keep ur eyes moving ahead mirrors u get the idea. make sure everything on ur trailer is secure so it takes an extra min just do it. How heavy is the trailer u have? whats it rated? o and thank u for serving this country

Grits
12-29-2007, 04:01 PM
The gate is made out of expanded steel with the holes in it. I didnt think it would create such a drag.:usflag:

That is strange. I have no idea what the problem would be then. Your truck should pull it (especially empty) with no problem.

dgZtrak737
12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
yeah but it is to be expected in north alabama to try and do more with a truck than it is built to do :laugh:

:laugh: Your absoultley right about that..... We get our use out of a truck thats for sure. TIE IT DOWN GAS IT AND GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txgrassguy
12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I started with a diesel Mercedes Wagon, an old F150 and a 5'X8' trailer.
Fast forward almost six years and I have two F350's, one is a cab and chassis with a dump on it, and a Dodge Dakota - five trailers and over twenty different mowers/tractor + implements and a whole bunch of equipment.
Best move I ever did was the late model '05 F350 cab and chassis with the 6spd and V-10.
Best thing every thing is paid for but the cab and chassis and at 1.7%apr on the note I see no reason to pay it off early.

GravelyNut
12-29-2007, 07:25 PM
thanks for your service :usflag::usflag:

What he said.:usflag:

As far as the tailgate, that is nothing new. Trailer dealer called it a parachute and that is about right. 16X6' trailer is being enclosed at 4' above the deck for hauling and so that it hides behind the truck out of the slipstream. As far as the OD goes, back in 2001 Truck Trends took Chevy, Dodge, and Ford 3500/F-350 4WD DRW Crewcabs with 8 liter engines and automatics and tied a 10,000 lb trailer on the back of each. Only the Chevy could tow the load up the grade without having to downshift like the Ford and Dodge had to do. All were geared as close as you could get from the manufacturer (Chevy had the 4.10 ). I have fun on I-77 with my truck when it has about 1 to 1.5 tons in the back. Uphill, 5 % grade, 7 miles long, left lane if clear, OD all the way and passing cars with the cruise control and A/C on. With trailer I run into traffic in the middle lane. :(

suzuki4life
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
i used to pull a loaded (3000lbs) 16x5 trailer with my s10 blazer, 4.3L v-6 and it would be great even up to 70mph, i had a 5 speed but it still pulled great just take it easy and forget about gas mileage, i never got over 8mpg with a loaded trailer

rcracer
12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
sounds great I believe the trailer weighs about 600 lbs. I think the gate sticks up higher than the ruck so I think that is alot of the reason there is alot of drag. thanks for all the help. I will suck it up and deal with it. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to maybe cut a little off the gate?:usflag:

topsites
12-30-2007, 11:21 AM
sounds great I believe the trailer weighs about 600 lbs. I think the gate sticks up higher than the ruck so I think that is alot of the reason there is alot of drag. thanks for all the help. I will suck it up and deal with it. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to maybe cut a little off the gate?:usflag:

Yes, but I can give you some tips that will help:

Buy and install, DIY:
Oil and filter change.
New pcv valve, and breather element.
New fuel filter.
New spark plugs, splurge and get double platinums.
New high performance (minimum 8mm) wires, recommend Accel brand, Taylor is as good and slightly less but cost about 50-80 bucks.
New high performance cap and rotor (cost about $15, make SURE you get high performance because OEM looks the same and so does Heavy Duty / Extra Duty).
Trans fluid and filter change (messy but worth DIY, cost is $80-120 for a mech).

Now if you're in the mood to do some modifying I'd be for getting a Mr. Gasket air filter (it is open and round) and replace your air intake with this.

If you can afford it, go with synthetic motor oil, 10w-30... But if you can't just the oil and filter change will do good.

You'll spend 2-300 but I can almost guarantee you will feel the difference.

rcracer
12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
sounds good I have been wanting to get a cold air intake filter but I will look into what you recommended. I am ready to cut some grass

lawnshark2420
01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Jeremy i work on trucks and trailers, that gate is a parachute! most likely you need to stick it out till you can get something with a v/8 or bigger. my v/8 has a little drag pulling the 16 footer but im loaded 3 mowers etc... good luck.

rcracer
01-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Is there anyway I could cut it down a little or would that be a waste of time? Thanks for the help!:usflag:

jdmcat
01-09-2008, 06:34 AM
very true and thanks it just seems like I cant even run in overdrive on a straight stretch. It is an automatic and even on flat ground it always shifts down.:usflag:

NEVER TOW IN OVERDRIVE! if you do you will become the tranny shops new best friend

mattmus4357
01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I have an '05 Dodge 1500 with the 3.7 liter V6 and it easily pulls my 16' trailer loaded with a 52" Grasshopper, 42" Troy Bilt, two trimmers, two blowers and all my tools. I would think that your truck would pull it, even with the gate sticking up.

rcracer
01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I went and picked up my new equipment today and my truck didnt do to bad. I seem to be overly paranoid when it comes to vehicles. I am going to jjst use it until I can get a v-8 or something bigger.:usflag:

nickscuttingedgelawn
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
I also have a 4.0 liter V-6 in my ford sport trac and pull a 7 x 17 foot trailer with it weekly and the best thing I can say is push the button for overdrive and let it do its thing I can do 55 no problems but a that speed I see about 10 mpg compared to my normal 15 mpg withoutthetrailer. Your gate shouldnt create that much drag, have you checked the trailer wheels to make sure they spin freely and that the bearings are greased.

hope this helps

rcracer
01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I never thought to check the wheels and bearing grease. It is a new trailer so I figured it would be good. I will look into it though. The truck should be good it's just that I went from the Dodge Hemi with 345 hp to the v-6 with 195. No worries though it will do fine. Thanks for the help

cantoo
01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Do a little thinking here.
Stand in the wind with your hands up.
Stand in the same wind and hold a piece of plywood 4'x4' and see what happens.
Now think what would happen if the wind was twice as strong.
You drive 25 miles per hour hauling the trailer with the expanded gate on it. Pulls easy because the wind is going thru the holes in the expanded metal. Now increase your speed to 50 miles per hour and the holes in the expanded metal can't let all the air flow thru so it creates more drag. Increase another 10 mph to 60 miles per hour and the holes in the metal now act like a 4'x6' piece of plywood with no holes. Of course this takes more power to pull.
If you don't understand this then when you are driving down the highway roll down your window and put your hand out. Turn it sideways then turn it flat, slowly open and close your fingers. Notice any differences?
Cut the gate down if you can or hinge it to reduce drag.

Grits
01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I never thought to check the wheels and bearing grease. It is a new trailer so I figured it would be good. I will look into it though. The truck should be good it's just that I went from the Dodge Hemi with 345 hp to the v-6 with 195. No worries though it will do fine. Thanks for the help

There's your problem. You may not be used to the V6. Should have kept the Dodge.

stuffdeer
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
That is strange. I have no idea what the problem would be then. Your truck should pull it (especially empty) with no problem.

Exactly. My little S-10 with the 4banger will pull my 5x10 loaded with a Z and 21" and handhelds + gas at 70 to 75 no problem..

LawnMastersTx
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I use a 2005 F150 V8 with a 14 foot trailer. I have on a Scag Turf Tiger and 2 other smaller mowers plus the small equipement (weed eater, edger blower, gas) I can hit 80 if i wanted to in it.

What is the type of ramps that you are using? My ramp allows for a lot of wind flow through it. Helps cut down on drag and up gas mileage, but can be slippery when wet.

mtwcutt
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
First off again thanks for your service. Like several have said never pull in overdrive. I have been towing bass boats and lawn equipment for some time and they will eat up a transmission in a hurry in OD. Cousin is a mechanic at Hudiburg Chevrolet and he preaches the same thing "do not tow in OD". Heat is the main culprit. If you had a heavy duty with a transmission cooler and all it may be different. I have the 5.3L and have not towed in OD and have right at 100,000 miles on it now and no problems. Your 6 cylinder should do fine. Are they still using the 4.6L or something like that? It used to be pretty tough for a 6.

rcracer
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
I believe it is a 4.3 it gets 18.6 mpg in town when im not towing anything. The gate is like most that I have seen on any other trailer with the small diamond shaped holes in it. I just want to clear my first question up. I just didnt think that the gate would affect the power of the truck as much as it did. I am not trying to complain I was wondering if this was normal. All in all I like the truck and it will do the job. I just can't expect to haul balls down the interstate you know what I mean. But I will keep it out of od when I am pulling. I appreciate the advice on that.:usflag:

racer56
01-11-2008, 02:34 AM
We picked up a Dakota during the off season and also a 6.5' by 12' trailer with a 4' gate. Just pulling the thing home I felt like I would fly threw the windshield just by leting off the gas. The gate is a killer and we drive 3 days a week 30 miles one way. I thought about cutting the center section out of the gate and leaving the top rail and bottom rail connecting the 2 halfs. Anyone tried this and if so was it worth it? Having the gate reduced in the middle wont hurt the funtionality of the gate for me. I didn't know if it would help much once we put equipment on it.

cantoo
01-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Simple test. Take the gate off and go for a drive?? Compare to gate on.

racer56
01-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Night and day with the gate on or off. I was just thinking removing some of the middle part of the gate where we will never have to drive one. Like making the tailgate 2 tailgates with a secton gone in the middle. I didn't know if anyone had tried that type of thing to save trailer drag.

TheLandyman
01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
i have a 98 dodge with a 318 thats pushing 300 hp (its a fun truck not a work truck) my the ramp of my trailer kicks its ass empty, then i have a 93 ford with a 351 very well tuned that ramp again kicks its ass

rcracer
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah it creates tons of drag but you have to be able to drive the lawn mowers up on it. There's no need to drive fast anyways though. Good luck did anybody know if you could cut a section out of the middle. It seems like it would weeken the gate alot though.

racer56
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I would like to know if cutting a section out of the center helps enough to justify it. We could cut the center section out and make 2 seperate gates. This would be the gate coming off easier for me to lift so thats a plus right there.