PDA

View Full Version : Lesco 48 inch leaking oil ....

southfla
12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I got a great deal on a lightly used 48 inch lesco, but noticed a problem.
The unit leakes small to medium amounts of oil from the bottom of the engine. I will try to explain this in words.....

Where the engine meets the frame..when it runs for a while a heats up the problems seems to get a little worse. My main question is should I fix it or continue to add oil... Then unit is very clean and I am not too mech inclined.
could it be a seal of some type and if so, is this hard to fix or should I let a pro do it???

Thanks in advance

JRS Landscaping
12-29-2007, 11:50 AM
i would look around the base of the motor for a crack and see if you can tell where the oil is coming from if its a little crack id just jb weld it if its the shaft seal id go get a price on replacing it . i personally dont like having leaks on my machines so i always fix it. as long as it not leaking alot and you check the oil everytime you run it youll be fine

Restrorob
12-29-2007, 11:56 AM
First you need to use degreaser and clean the engine and frame area of any oil, Test run the engine watching for where the oil is coming from.

The crankshaft seal can be replaced without removing the engine, If it's the pan/sump gasket of course the engine will have to come off.

Neither is hard to repair but depends on your mechanical ability.

southfla
12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the input thus far. I will test run the engine tomorrow as there is no dirt on the machine except the small amount of oil around the base.

Again thanks to both of you for the response