PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS85 problems

Mikol
12-29-2007, 05:27 PM
While working at full speed ,all of sudden it shuts off. then when I go and try to start it back up, nothing.I have to let it sit for a couple of hours.then it works fine.can any one help. Thanks

p.s I am no mechanic but it seems like something is causing it to flood.

Ridin' Around
12-29-2007, 05:52 PM
check for spark at the plug when it is dead, a good spark checker will eliminate that problem or point it out in a hurry. If the plug is not getting the signal to fire it would seem flooded. (wet plug) A bad coil can cool and fire again in some cases.

Roger
12-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I had a similar problem with my FS85 a couple of years ago. It was the ignition module that had gone bad and needed replacing.

I would ask how old, now many hours of use, etc. But, electrical problem often don't follow usage patterns (e.g. some last forever, some don't last very long).

LawnTamer
12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
I might also suspect a bad coil. I had a Maruyama edger that would do that, new coil fixed it right up.
I am no mechanic though.

AmsoilPower
12-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I do believe Stihl has a lifetime warranty on their ignition modules. It is at least worth asking the dealership.

Roger
12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I do believe Stihl has a lifetime warranty on their ignition modules. It is at least worth asking the dealership.

I think you are correct. However, in the "heat of battle" when I wanted to back running, to think about working through the system to get a warranty payment was the last thing on my mind. By the time the approvals came through, I would have been a few says behind in my schedule, and getting the machine back running is critical.

DavisLawn
12-30-2007, 12:12 AM
pretty sure its a coil.

Mikol
12-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the Quick replies.I will check the coil out.

J.J.
12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
I have a stihl edger that did the same thing, and they replaced the coil and it works fine.

ed2hess
12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I have had some luck with using a volt meter to measure resistance on coil to tell when they are bad. It isn't perfect but seems to work. I measure them cold from the spark wire to cyclinder and it should have resistance. Then when it stops I measure it again and if bad the resistance is usually gone or open. Looking for spark isn't hard if you get into a dark garage.

mowermankevin
01-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Mikol, What did you find out on the Stihl? Sure sounds like a coil, do you have a spark tester? If nothing else unscrew the sparkplug and ground the threaded part of the plug to the metal of the engine block while pulling on the recoil and see if there is spark. Leave the top orange cover off the trimmer run it till it quits and unscrew the plug, ground it again to the engine block, pull on the recoil and see if there is spark, it usually takes 10/15 minutes for the coil to heat up and shut down so see if that helps, but let us know what you found,O.K.?

Mikol
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
First of all Sorry to all on getting back with my results.I thought I had another coil on a old edger that I had.I was going to swamp it out to see if it was my problem.well it was a complete different one.so since I had it taken off from my trimmer. I went ahead and clean it up it was real dirty put it back on and did a complete tune up from changing the plug,new air filter and fuel filter.it started fine.I used it on Thur,and Fri and it work fine.I don't know if it is just messing with my head or it was a fix.I will be using next week so I have to Wait and see. please go ahead tell me what you think. Thanks to all. also I also check for spark I did have it .but the trimmer was cool down.

Mikol
02-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Well I am back and I started to have the same problem.just want to know if anyone can tell me where I can get a replacement coil for my FS85 Stihl Line trimmer.
hELP!!!!!!!!!

grass_cuttin_fool
02-06-2008, 06:09 PM
try your local stihl dealer

wayne

Mikol
02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I thought someone might of know a web-site that has some real good prices.

mowing grass 1111
02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
ebay......

retrodog
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
My 85 just started doing that too, I have it in the shop, and we replaced plug, tuned and cleaned the carb out, and it is still doing the same thing...run for a little while then die and not crank again for a while. Its about 3 years old now.

mowing grass 1111
02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-FS80-COIL-NEW_W0QQitemZ250175856575QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20538QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mikol
02-06-2008, 07:15 PM
retrodog , please keep me up to date on your fs85.I also did a tune up besides Card clean and it ran good for a day or to and started to do it all again.if you read some of the other post from this threads other members told me it could be my coil.

Roger
02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Remember, Stihl does not have online sales, they only sell through dealers. I think any e-bay sales would be from an individual selling out used Stihl parts.

If you are seeking new, the advice a few posts before, see your local dealer. This is a common part and is most likely in their parts inventory. I seem to recall it is about $35.

topsites
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Guys I had this on going problem with my FS-100 and I just took it to my dealer told him it was broke and a few days and $75 later it was fixed, and it was a little much to pay but I am so happy. So if you can't and it won't and several tries later it can't and you won't then this is always an option.

lawnbutch
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
O.K. guys like I've said so many times on these sites, STIHL has a problem and they DON"T want to admit it!!!!! As far as you 85's just dying and if you find the ignition o.k. then take a look at the piston cylinder. I've been told that the cyl. gets warm enough to expand and you lose compression. Let it cool down and it starts and runs fine. Mine has done this a few times.

Now for the FS100. I to have one of these and it is currently at the dealer and they are looking at it to see why it has run like a PAS sense it was new. The last word I got on it was they may just give me a FS110, as the 100 has had a lot of problems over the past few years. Because of the problems I've had over the years with my blower and trimmer Isam NOT a big fan of the Stihl products. I make my living using these tools and when they are not working up to speed I get very angry, there for, Aim changing brands of handhelds. Im going to try the Kawasaki line of handhelds, as this is my new dealers product line.

mowing grass 1111
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Remember, Stihl does not have online sales, they only sell through dealers. I think any e-bay sales would be from an individual selling out used Stihl parts.

If you are seeking new, the advice a few posts before, see your local dealer. This is a common part and is most likely in their parts inventory. I seem to recall it is about $35.

you think wrong.... i just bought a new carb, coil and 2 throttle cables for 2 fs 80 weedeaters that have been sitting in the shop for 2 years .. not running .. all parts bought on ebay brand and are brand new and cheaper than what my dealer wants for a new carb. i know of one dealer about 30 miles from me that is selling new stihl parts on ebay

Mikol
02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the post,I think I just have to brake down and take it to my dealer. once again thanks for all the responses and if any one has any more answers I will keep reading.

Roger
02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
you think wrong.... i just bought a new carb, coil and 2 throttle cables for 2 fs 80 weedeaters that have been sitting in the shop for 2 years .. not running .. all parts bought on ebay brand and are brand new and cheaper than what my dealer wants for a new carb. i know of one dealer about 30 miles from me that is selling new stihl parts on ebay

Carb parts are probably Zama. Zama carbs are most commonly used on many pieces of Stihl equipment, and Zama parts can be had from other sources, inlcuding online or e-bay. So, the carb parts are not Stihl-unique.

The coil and throttle cables would be unique to Stihl. Perhaps I am wrong about my assessment. Can you share the dealer's e-bay store, or his handle from e-bay? I would be very interested in finding another outlet. I have never found Stihl parts online, or from a third-party source. Thanks.

mowing grass 1111
02-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Carb parts are probably Zama. Zama carbs are most commonly used on many pieces of Stihl equipment, and Zama parts can be had from other sources, inlcuding online or e-bay. So, the carb parts are not Stihl-unique.

The coil and throttle cables would be unique to Stihl. Perhaps I am wrong about my assessment. Can you share the dealer's e-bay store, or his handle from e-bay? I would be very interested in finding another outlet. I have never found Stihl parts online, or from a third-party source. Thanks.

i will have to do a search but i think the the ebay store is called little red barn and the guy has a store in harrisonburg ,va where he sells gravely and stihl. i have aslo seen walbro carbs on ebay for the stihkl products

mowermankevin
02-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the post,I think I just have to brake down and take it to my dealer. once again thanks for all the responses and if any one has any more answers I will keep reading.

Have you had time to mess with it yet? All the posts indicate a coil,if you need one PM me,there out there by the boxload 10-15 bucks apeice, my money is on a bad coil, see what the dealer says he'll do for free then get back to us, O.K.?

DENNIS MOW
03-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I have had the same problem with my fs85 it was the coil on it

Landrus2
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
You always can try redmax.:waving:

lawnbutch
03-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Well I got the word on my trimmer yesterday!! I have several Stihl products that will be FOR SALE this spring and will be replaced with other brands. I think their customer service is going to the dogs real fast. I have a dealer that is marketing Kawasaki hand helds and I think I'll give them a try.

Roger
03-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Well I got the word on my trimmer yesterday!! I have several Stihl products that will be FOR SALE this spring and will be replaced with other brands. .....

Please explain the problems and the attempts at remediation. Your post of 2/6/2008 doesn't explain much, and this one doesn't either. Clearly, you are not happy with your Stihl products. Many of us are very happy with Stihl, and we want to understand the problems in detail. "... doesn't work," "... not working right," and other such statements don't provide us with any information that is useful.

yungman
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I have had some luck with using a volt meter to measure resistance on coil to tell when they are bad. It isn't perfect but seems to work. I measure them cold from the spark wire to cyclinder and it should have resistance. Then when it stops I measure it again and if bad the resistance is usually gone or open. Looking for spark isn't hard if you get into a dark garage.

Ask anyone who has the FS85 to measure the resistance from plug wire to engine body and post it here to give a control for comparison so when he measure, he can tell right away whether it is good or bad. A bad coil might present a higher resistance instead of open circuit.

Also plug wire might be broken too, sometimes it connect and sometime it open up. Might have to bend the wire while the engine running and see whether it will stop. Be careful not to get shock. Wear rubber gloves to do that.