PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat 763 and the mystery noise

tallrick
12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Sometimes it amazes me how these con artists live with themselves! Got a call from a landscaper that I serviced the Bobcat last year, it was making a clanking and clunking noise that sounded like metal scraping metal. He took it to a few people who gave various excuses from a bad hydraulic pump to a water pump, to a bad turbo (LOL). Turns out it was the alternator pulley comming loose. Keyway ate up the shaft and nobody was open for a replacement. As a last resort I welded the shaft and cut a new keyway, and installed a new key. Put it all together- noise gone. Probably not the best repair, but he was in a hurry. The pulley sheaves seem to fit tight on the shaft but the keyway is a bit worn. This is almost as crazy as the whistling Bobcat with a bad head gasket.

Construct'O
12-30-2007, 02:51 AM
Sometimes it amazes me how these con artists live with themselves! Got a call from a landscaper that I serviced the Bobcat last year, it was making a clanking and clunking noise that sounded like metal scraping metal. He took it to a few people who gave various excuses from a bad hydraulic pump to a water pump, to a bad turbo (LOL). Turns out it was the alternator pulley comming loose. Keyway ate up the shaft and nobody was open for a replacement. As a last resort I welded the shaft and cut a new keyway, and installed a new key. Put it all together- noise gone. Probably not the best repair, but he was in a hurry. The pulley sheaves seem to fit tight on the shaft but the keyway is a bit worn. This is almost as crazy as the whistling Bobcat with a bad head gasket.

Your pretty darn handy there guy.To bad your so far south i could use you.Bigger iron,but bet you would pick it up.Good job,that guy should feel luck.:usflag:

Scag48
12-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Would you fly out to WA on basically 2 minutes notice for work? :drinkup:

kreft
12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Good job :thumbsup:

tallrick
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the compliments, you guys are great! I am just glad to help out the owner/operator from time to time by providing a service. You bet those guys are grateful, and pay promptly for the repairs. Instead of taking the machine to a shop and having it sit there till a technician can look at it I start digging in as soon as its here. If I can't fix it I let the owner know as soon as possible and don't charge anything. Sometimes I even go to the job site to evaluate problems, but will not do a major repair on a skid steer anywhere but my place. Lately I seem to be getting work every weekend, maybe because work is slow everyone wants to get their machines serviced? I am currently negotiating a barter with an owner of a weatherhead crimping machine, and would start making up replacement hoses as well.

I work at a desk M-F 9-6 at our office, so it's a change of pace to actually do something physically productive on weekends. The equipment repair was just an outgrowth of my past work as a mechanic for a construction company and my hobby of restoring obsolete machinery. I don't advertise but somehow people know me. As for the bigger iron I am hoping to get into that as well, a future project will be to restore an old track loader or dozer. My only regret is that I don't get to run machinery anymore on a job other than my own. Probably for the better, as after I run anything I give the owner a list of things to check.

Construct'O
12-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a D6R that you could do a little restoration on:) New air ride ,seat,CD radio combo,with surround sound!

Marine-band radio install.

My new XW 11' 6" semi-u blade that is still setting out back of the shop.Some undercarriage work,but other then that it's good to go!:usflag:

tallrick
12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a D6R that you could do a little restoration on:) New air ride ,seat,CD radio combo,with surround sound!

Marine-band radio install.

My new XW 11' 6" semi-u blade that is still setting out back of the shop.Some undercarriage work,but other then that it's good to go!:usflag:

You make me wish I lived in your area! If I did I would already be on my way.