PDA

View Full Version : Buying My First Truck Monday

DSLND
12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Guys,

I talk to a lot of you outside of the foums, and to those who follow me here on LawnSite, or any other site know that I am a young, motivated landscaper.

While browsing through the local classifieds the other day, I ran over a vehicle that looked to be a good deal, so I e-mailed the guy for some pictures. Then, on Christmas day, I received some pictures.

Ends up it's a 1999 Chevy 2500HD (newer body style), 4x4, 107k miles, white w/gray interior, extended cab/short bed. It also has a non original radio (brand unsure at this time) all terrain tires, tinted windows, and the FlowMaster dual exhaust!

So Thursday, my dad, and I went up to look it over, and take it for a drive. It was a beautiful truck, and my dad and I both loved how it drove. I knew I wanted that truck and dad agreed. I called up, made an offer and he accepted. We are going Monday to the bank, to get the title transferred over, then to go pay the tax on the vehicle, and order my custom plates:weightlifter:

I paid $9700 for the truck, and $280 for the title transfer, tax, and personalized plates. Total investment $9980.

I get the truck about 5:00 Monday, so i'm not sure if i will be able to get great pictures up, but quality pictures will follow Tuesday morning for sure!

I'm totally excited to go pick the vehicle up, and even though i don't get my permit for a few months, I can still drive it around my house (very rural area)
and I will have my permit before next year's mowing season, so that way grandma just has to sit and enjoy, and I can do the driving and the work!

-Mitch-

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Congrats on your first truck!

what motor does it have?

107K miles??

DSLND
12-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Congrats on your first truck!

what motor does it have?

107K miles??

Thanks. It has the 6.0L V8 and it has some extra filter attachment (will get exact specs. Monday) that advances the truck's gas mileage by a few miles per gallon. He said he can get about fourteen to fifteen miles per gallon city driving, and has gotten up to twenty on the highway.

Yes, 107k miles.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

lawnman456
12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
i bought my gmc 98 2500hd extended cab for $7500 with 52k miles. it seems a a little high with over 100 k miles. but as long as your happy, that's all that counts

KS_Grasscutter
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks. It has the 6.0L V8 and it has some extra filter attachment (will get exact specs. Monday) that advances the truck's gas mileage by a few miles per gallon. He said he can get about fourteen to fifteen miles per gallon city driving, and has gotten up to twenty on the highway.

Yes, 107k miles.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

Sounds like you picked out a nice one. The 366 (6.0) is a great engine. Have one in our dump truck on the farm, has LOTS of power. You'll have to get us some pics...

DSLND
12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnMan: Sounds like a great deal you got on your truck! I didn't mind paying what I did, being the truck had new All-Terrain tires, new radio, and the flowmaster exhaust.

Eric (KS): Thanks. Pictures will follow either Monday night (if it's not too dark) or Tuesday morning.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

Swampy
12-30-2007, 05:27 AM
You probably will regret the short bed but hey you got to start some were, nice pick up though.

topsites
12-30-2007, 10:04 AM
True, blue book on it is lower, but the truck I bought was worth about blue book fair low and I immediately got to put in 1,500 worth of parts and labor (mostly parts and DIY too) to get it right, by the time it was all said and done it was still within blue book fair high...

You get what you pay for, that age and model truck is worth about 6500 in good condition, but far more if you got it from a dealer or excellent, and if it's ready to go after an oil change, maybe a trans fluid and filter, I tell you it can be worth it. The tires? LOL, the cheapest are like $100 each, + labor, one set of tires for mine runs 500 easy, for starters, nice ones you can spend a grand.

It really can be worth paying a little more, maybe that 3/4 ton wasn't used but so hard, mine saw construction work, and it was up north so it has extensive if light rust damage, see...

Then those 3/4 tons are not easy to find, I do think it's a bit much for a first truck but then if you're not but so mechanically inclined it might be a better choice there as well, I had to do a LOT of work to mine, probably spent 2 weeks fooling with it before I even took to get it inspected, then it cost me another 150 LOL.

To be honest, to find a 3/4 ton at or near blue book, in the shape and configuration you want, a 3/4 ton?
6 months to a year of looking, and shopping around.

So you pay for it one way or another, pretty much.

btw it's a very powerful engine, drive it nice you'll see 10-11mpg trailered.

DSLND
12-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys!

I ran the truck through KBB and it came in at around $8900. But the way i figure it is that the new tires (BF GoodWrench All Terrain), new power steering pump, FlowMaster exhaust, the extra filter attachment in the engine, and only 107k miles. So to me, I think that $9700 was a great deal. Some of the dealers around here are outrageous; I found a 1998 Chevy K2500 w/87k miles, regular cab/long bed and he wanted $13k! Another dealer wanted $12k for a 2000 K2500 regular cab/long bed w/104k miles.

I bought this truck out of a private party, and for $9700, i'm going to take that and run! As far as the "too big of a truck for me" concern, I want something I can grow into, not out of. My brother has a S-10 (:dizzy:), and we have tried using that for my business, but two wheel drive and a little engine is not something that would work in my business.

Pictures will follow Tuesday morning!

-Mitch-

J&R Landscaping
12-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Not sure if I would have gone for a short bed truck but hey, you know what will work for you! Sounds like you got a great deal on it as well! For 1 thing, there's always plows and other stuff on ebay in huge amounts for that style truck!

NBI Lawn
12-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Ends up it's a 1999 Chevy 2500HD (newer body style), 4x4, 107k miles, white w/gray interior, extended cab/short bed. It also has a non original radio (brand unsure at this time) all terrain tires, tinted windows, and the FlowMaster dual exhaust!

-Mitch-

Congrats on the purchase. I dont think there was a HD in 99' it is probably what later became the 1500HD. I dont think the HD's were out untill 01'.

NBI Lawn
12-30-2007, 12:32 PM

-Mitch-

Congrats on the purchase. I dont think there was a HD in 99' it is probably what later became the 1500HD. I dont think the HD's were out untill 01'

Military Lawns
12-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Sounds like a decent deal and I know that you will like the truck. My only concern is that it has 107k miles. However, I use to have an 86' Pontiac Trans Am that had 268k when I finally traded it in. So, I wish you well and please post some pics of that truck when available.

DJ-

windsory
12-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Congrats Mitch. On eBay and AutoTrader comparable trucks are going for 9-11k so I'd say you did pretty good, $6500 is dreaming for a truck like that. Now let's just see some pics.

DSLND
12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys.

We are headed tomorrow to go transfer the title and go pick up the truck.

Pictures will follow Tuesday morning.

-Mitch-

deere615
12-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Congrats Mitch! I would have gotten the 8ft bed but that me I am glad your happy! Mine had 111,500 when I bought it so you should be fine. Have fun with it, I can't wait for pics on tues. Welcome to the chevy Family:weightlifter::weightlifter:

PlatinumLandCon
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Mitch, I want to give you another welcome to the chevy family. I just picked up a '90 Silverado 4x4 diesel and LOVE it already. I'm 16 so its pretty reasonable on insurance and repairs for a small operation like I currently have (currently being the key word, I'll most likely upgrade in spring '09 which I'm sure you will too). I'm going to switch it over to WVO to save even more green.

I can't wait to see pics!!:clapping:

KS_Grasscutter
12-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Mitch, I want to give you another welcome to the chevy family. I just picked up a '90 Silverado 4x4 diesel and LOVE it already. I'm 16 so its pretty reasonable on insurance and repairs for a small operation like I currently have (currently being the key word, I'll most likely upgrade in spring '09 which I'm sure you will too). I'm going to switch it over to WVO to save even more green.

I can't wait to see pics!!:clapping:

How much did you have to give for it? I am looking for a mid 80s to mid 90s truck right now. Prices vary a LOT around here. Looked at a real nice 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 today, think it was a 97-98, they wanted almost $8,000 for it. Little out of my price range at this point.

corey4671
12-30-2007, 10:54 PM
welcome to the bowtie brigade young Mitch. That is the perfect size truck for you to start with and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Yeah, probably paid a little on the high side IMO, but it's ok. SOunds like a good solid truck, however, when you get that 20mpg with the 6.0 let me know...I have the same motor and it ain't gettin 20 mpg with a tailwind going downhill! :laugh: Maybe with the 3.73 rear end as opposed to the 4.1o in mine.

KTM
12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
We have a 99 2500 with 4.10's and a 03 HD with the 3.73's the 4.10's kill the mpg and I never notice it being an advantage towing. 6.0 are pretty good at towing for a gas engine we tow 12000 lbs all the time and they do just fine, but it is pretty flat around here. anybody have the pre 03 knocking engine? our 99 sounds pretty bad, always has though ive seen them with 250k that still run good. Iam just worried about when we go to sell it

mike lane lawn care
12-30-2007, 11:47 PM
you got one hell of a good deal, my 99 sierra new body style 1500 costs $9k with 110k on it, of course mine is the SLE and had every option under the sun, inclusing Onstar. the first year onstar was ever avliable.

PlatinumLandCon
12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
How much did you have to give for it? I am looking for a mid 80s to mid 90s truck right now. Prices vary a LOT around here. Looked at a real nice 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 today, think it was a 97-98, they wanted almost $8,000 for it. Little out of my price range at this point.

I picked it up for $2500 and it has 246k km (152k miles) on it. Its is pretty good mechanical shape other than a few suspension/steering things I had to replace. Anything I replaced is something that will typically wear out regardless of which truck its on since its a '90. It is also a 1-owner (checked it out with DOT and its true).

02DURAMAX
12-31-2007, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys!

I ran the truck through KBB and it came in at around $8900. But the way i figure it is that the new tires (BF GoodWrench All Terrain), new power steering pump, FlowMaster exhaust, the extra filter attachment in the engine, and only 107k miles. So to me, I think that $9700 was a great deal. Some of the dealers around here are outrageous; I found a 1998 Chevy K2500 w/87k miles, regular cab/long bed and he wanted $13k! Another dealer wanted $12k for a 2000 K2500 regular cab/long bed w/104k miles.

I bought this truck out of a private party, and for $9700, i'm going to take that and run! As far as the "too big of a truck for me" concern, I want something I can grow into, not out of. My brother has a S-10 (:dizzy:), and we have tried using that for my business, but two wheel drive and a little engine is not something that would work in my business.

Pictures will follow Tuesday morning!

-Mitch-

Im sure you ment BF GoodRich and not goodwrench:laugh:........CONGRATS!!!! on the new truck and cant wait for pic's

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 09:25 AM
yeh i dont think there was an hd in 99. and i know its not going to get 20mpg. but good luck with it! i hope it will treat you well! get us pics!

All_Toro_4ME
12-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Any idea on the hp for the truck? Sounds like you made a good choice.

PlatinumLandCon
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I've got BFG All-Terrain T/A tires on my truck and they're SWEET. They're LT285/75 R16 (33" tall)

DSLND
12-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I am not expecting good gas mileage, at all so we will see. The truck has the 6.0L V8 364 and has the 4:10 gear ratio.

We will be picking it up later today, so I have am going to be anxiously waiting ALL DAY! :dancing::dancing:

Pictures will follow bright and early tomorrow morning!

-Mitch-

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 11:23 AM
o wow 4.10's you definataley arent goin to be gettin anywhere near 20. cant wait to see.

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 11:26 AM
I've got BFG All-Terrain T/A tires on my truck and they're SWEET. They're LT285/75 R16 (33" tall)

i dont wrote off the BFG all terrains. the muds are good. but i just had a bad experiance with the a/t's. actually 3. mine and 2 friends trucks. we all bought em at the same time. and all started hating them at the same time. one of my firends tires only lasted 18,000 miles. i took mine off before 5000k. and others only got 15k. and they threw rocks at high speeds. i dont recommend. but some like em! i like the nitto a/t's. and my truck has the brigdestone a/t's and theyre quite nice.

GravelyGuy
12-31-2007, 11:53 AM
they threw rocks at high speeds.

I have noticed this with my BF's that came stock. It's enough to scare the crap if they hit the right spot.

PlatinumLandCon
12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
i dont wrote off the BFG all terrains. the muds are good. but i just had a bad experiance with the a/t's. actually 3. mine and 2 friends trucks. we all bought em at the same time. and all started hating them at the same time. one of my firends tires only lasted 18,000 miles. i took mine off before 5000k. and others only got 15k. and they threw rocks at high speeds. i dont recommend. but some like em! i like the nitto a/t's. and my truck has the brigdestone a/t's and theyre quite nice.

Mine came with the truck and have about 90% tread so I can't complain. The nittos are apparently great. I don't think I'll still own my truck long enough for it to see a new set of tires. I plan on upgrading the truck in '09 anyways.

DoetschOutdoor
12-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Sounds like you and your buddies got a bad bunch of tires. There will surely be people that are unhappy with the all terrains but most absolutely love them, at least the many that I've talked to. I got 50k outta mine and I bought the truck with 37k so who knows how his tire rotations, pressure, etc were before I bought it. Several of my buddies have gotten 60k on both full size and smaller trucks. As for them throwing rocks, wouldnt it be true of most non street tires to get stuff like rocks thrown up? I would think that the more aggressive pattern would be an easy place for stuff to get wedged until you get up to high speed. I've got the mud terrains and I only wish they threw rocks like the all terrains. They throw anything and everything.

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
i know the majority throws rocks, but these seemed to hold them til alot higher speeds and then threw em. bad for the paint.

02DURAMAX
12-31-2007, 12:46 PM

i agree with you i hate those tires!!!!!!!!!

Lawn Enforcer
12-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Congrats on the purchase Mitch! I know the feeling of waiting to pick up your truck-my Dad was talking with the guy at Fastenal for almost a month, making offers, then they had to go through the district office to approve the offer and other crap like that. Enjoy the truck man! I hope all goes well with it.:clapping:

DSLND
01-01-2008, 12:42 PM
As Promised.... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2081423#post2081423

-Mitch-

PlatinumLandCon
01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
YEAHHHH nice truck!! That thing is 10x nicer than mine:cry:. Good luck with everything man!

DSLND
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
YEAHHHH nice truck!! That thing is 10x nicer than mine:cry:. Good luck with everything man!

Thanks! Do you have AIM/MySpace? We could chat there.

-Mitch-