PDA

View Full Version : How to kill moss on sidewalks?

Acute Cut
10-17-2001, 07:56 PM
I did a search and was surprised not to find anything. Maybe i did it wrong. I recently started a new contract and they want me to kill off the moss that is growing on thier corregated cement. This includes an entryway for cars, 15 steps or so from street, and other various small spots. What do yall use to kill off and keep the moss gone? Any tips or advice is helpful. Thanks

KDJ
10-17-2001, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a job for................. Mr pressure cleaner

GroundKprs
10-17-2001, 10:01 PM
Roundup kills moss. A sterilant will keep it away, but I don't know of any that will not wash some out of sidewalk cracks into turf areas.

dhicks
10-17-2001, 10:12 PM
Power wash and a diluted solution of bleach will keep it under control.

geogunn
10-17-2001, 11:33 PM
dhicks is right. bleach will do it at about 1qt/gal concentration.

no need to pressure wash unless you need immediate results.

after dead, the moss will fade away.

GEO

joshua
10-18-2001, 01:19 AM
they make a product called moss attack, works great and only focusses on moss. don't have to worry about ruin off in the lawn.

awm
10-18-2001, 07:09 AM
call your co. ag agent, theres a formularto make it your self .
involves copper sulphate or something like that.
seems like my memory dont save that stuff like i pretend it use to:confused: please excuse its early ,not half thru w first cup yet:)

AVRECON
10-18-2001, 09:56 AM
Use hydrated lime if you don't want to do the other stuff mentioned above. Just make sure it is hydrated lime not the regular stuff.

Scraper
10-22-2001, 09:51 AM
deck cleaner works just fine....let it soak in a bit then hose off

Guido
10-22-2001, 06:06 PM
bit of bleach. It's cheap and it works, what more could you ask for. I'm sure there are better more costly ways, but I'm not a applicator, so I won't reccomend anything I'm not educated about.

superfert
10-22-2001, 08:32 PM
You can try a product call SCYTHE herbicide this product is made by Mycogen Corp. It is considered a fatty acid, the activie is called pelargonic acid. You should be able to find this at a LESCO branch or any dealer that might carry Mycongen products. Try mixing this product with Round up or others like that. Close your eyes and wa la fast burn down of plant material. Good luck.

awm
10-24-2001, 08:57 PM
i never knew bleach would work. appreciate the tip.

Ssouth
01-25-2002, 01:47 PM
I take care of a clay tennis court and have problems with moss in areas where the court is shaded. Will spraying bleach be sufficient. I have also heard that copper sulfate will kill moss. Has anyone ever used copper sulfate and if so does it work well?

groundsguy1970
01-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Take it from a fellow dweller of Mosstown........ZINC SULFATE.

BigJim
01-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Yes good old fashioned bleach as suggested above works fine,add some liquid dishwashing detergent as a sticking agent and the less dilution the better it works,you can buy it so cheap at a supermarket you can use it undiluted,its the basic ingrediant in most "mosskiller" products sold down here.Spray it on neat ,on a sunny day.Iron sulphate will turn the concrete a nice shade of brown,copper sulphate will kill grass and plants where it runs off,as well as worms too!.Chloride of lime is also very effective if you are allowed to buy/use it there but it needs care in application.Whatever you use always do a small test patch first to check its going to work OK.Most mosses are types of fungus so a garden fungicide can help stop them reoccuring,thats also why Roundup type weedkillers wont stop them.Be careful with the bleach too if you spray it on, it makes white spots on clothing and dont let it drift on plants or cars etc,and wear a face mask, Hope that helps some..

Hookset
01-26-2002, 02:40 AM
A friend of mine has been putting pot ash on his moss and says it kills it. I think it can be found where you buy fertilizer. I have noticed that is an aditive in some fertilizer. The only draw back would be having to clean the side walk once it died.