PDA

View Full Version : pintle hitch pros/cons

JRS Landscaping
12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
what are the pro and cons of a pintle hitch setup

Victor
12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Pintle hitches are much stronger than ball hitches.

ken gustafson
12-30-2007, 10:28 PM
The pro's are... many times stronger...like maybe 10 times. Great tracking on uneven surfaces, Much easier to hook up to. Have not had any of my friends ask to borrow any of my trailers. In my case very easy to manipulate with my bulldozer. Less moving parts...nothing to go "wrong". 99% of everything in the military uses either lunette/pintle setup or King Pin setup...must be a reason for them....can think of more but you can get my picture. Just better....Ken

Tim03
12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
"Have not had any of my friends ask to borrow any of my trailers"

I had to laugh when I read this as an advantage!

Dirt Digger2
12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
stronger, safer, easier on the truck...those are 3 pretty good reasons for me

AI Inc
01-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Pros, stronger , much easier too hook up a heavy trailer by your self.
cons , they bang around alot.

yardmanlee
01-01-2008, 09:11 AM
how many use the combo hitch ?? I have one on my 1 ton dump to pull my trailers and if I rent a chipper or have to pull a larger trailer for a skidsteer

muddstopper
01-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I use the combo hitches on all my trucks, its much easier than swapping hitches if I rent another trailer or piece of equipment. I have removed the pintel hitches from all my trailers because I got tired of the banging on stops and startups, but I only tow 7000lb trailers. My larger trailers are gooseneck type. Nobody wanting to borrow a pintel hitch trailer ranks right at the top as a advantage, disadvantage was everybody also wanted to borrow my hitches to use my trailers. :hammerhead:

bobcat_ron
01-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Pintles are very hard to steal as not many thievs have a pintle set up or to take the time to set it up, they can handle much higher weights and twisting forces, but they can bang around more as time goes on, the gravel trucks use an air bag behind the hitch to take up the slack.

ken gustafson
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Because I never noticed the noise that was mentioned by everyone I decided to find out. In delivering a load of firewood yesterday...I turned off my electric brakes to the trailer. Yes...finally heard some noise but wow very minor and I live in the hills. I just never turn off my brakes...I adjust them between when I have a load and when I don't have a load. Brake jobs are not cheap either but the noise is not that big of thing...to me. Thought I was going deaf and I know I am hard hearing...wife tells me so. Ken