PDA

View Full Version : problem with mazda truck

bdemir
10-17-2001, 08:07 PM
I have replaced the dist cap the rotor spark pugs, wires, fuel pump, and fuel filter and it does not seem to want to start and i can not seem to get a spark from it. The truck is a 1987 mazda b2000. When it does start it sputters and deis out. It had a rusty gas tank but that is now replaced and all of the gas lines blown out. Is there anything i can do to make it work. I am thinking of taking it to a mechanic but the last guy did not want to touch it because of the age of the truck(rusty blots).

Bedros

thelawnguy
10-17-2001, 08:19 PM
Check that the timing belt is ok.

bdemir
10-17-2001, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah, thanks i totally forgot about that.

I will check tommorow. Thanks for the help.

Bedros

ERIC ROBERGE
10-18-2001, 04:38 AM
If you havent put an igniter on within the last 100,000 miles than i would do that first. If it has not gone bad yet , odds are it will soon. It wouldnt be a bad idea to replace the pickup for the same reason.
You can do a quick check on the pickup and igniter by connecting a 12 volt test light from the battery negative terminal to the negative side of the coil. Now crank the vehicle. the test light should flash. If it does the pickup and igniter are working properly. If not one or both are bad.
Also, check for constant power at the positive side of the coil in run and crank. If there is no power there than check for broken wires, bad connections or a blown fuse.

bdemir
10-18-2001, 07:39 PM
Eric,

Thanks for your helpful advice. I will try that this weekend and keep you guys posted on the results.

Bedros

bdemir
10-25-2001, 12:00 AM
Ok i hoocked up a spark tester and there was no spark coming from either the spark plug and no spark coming straight from the coil. I hooked it right on the end of the coil coil wire(wire going from the dist to coil and still no spark.)

I am not sure what an igniter or a pickup is so i will just replace them if they are cheap. Am i on the right track.

Bedros

ERIC ROBERGE
10-25-2001, 06:16 AM
It sounds like you are on the right track. Did you check for power to the coil. Look for two small posts or connections on the coil. One is positive and one is negative. The pos should have power with the key on. The negative will flash while cranking.
The igniter is the device that makes the neg terminal on the coil flash. The pickup (in the dist) tells the computer where the engine is in relation to the next ignition. The computer makes computations based on sensors and tells the igniter when to turn the coil on and off.
I am not familiar with your specific vehicle,but that is the way most older imports work. It is possible you dont have a computer. If that is the case the ignition pickup signal is sent directly to the igniter.
If you are familiar with domestics the igniter is the same as the ignition module. If you cant locate these components than get a chilton or haynes guide. I think they will show you how to test the igniter with a 1.5 volt battery. Dont forget to check the fuses.
And one other thing. An ignition module or igniter has transistors in them. They get VERY HOT pretty quickly after the engine is running. It will burn the fingerprint right off the tip of your finger. don`t ask me how I know.