PDA

View Full Version : Question for Florida members

hdhillin
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I am trying to get a average price for installing mulch per cubic yard. I have prices mine at $45.00 per cubic yard, and have been told by local companies in Jacksonville that I am high and some have said I am low. I have a 110 cubic yard job and don't want to sell myself short. Any help is appreciated very much.

mowerman90
12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm a little north of Tampa and pay $22 per yd picked up. I charge the same as you for 1 yd installed and don't get any complaints from customers about price. Around here the going price is between $40 - $50 installed. I'd never do a 110 yd install myself but would sub it out to one of the companies that blow it in. Ask around and find one of these companies and sit back and count your cut.

cpel2004
12-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree with mowerman, but you have to think what is the most efficient way to spread a 110 yards of mulch for you and the cusstomers and that would be like mowerman said to outsource it, or else you will not get the job. $45 per yard on smaller jobs is reasonable but not 45 py for a 110 yards. I would also neg on the price of my mulch. For my customer that always put down much at least twice a year I would drop to 35 per yard.

hdhillin
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
The owner of the building has stated he does not want it blown in. I already tried that route. It would have been a great deal for me. I have negotiated the price I am paying per cubic yard. Thanks for the input.

cpel2004
12-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Well you have to tax him then. Go with 45 py at first then you have a drop price. You'll have to know your estimed cost to know how low you can go before losing money.

Sym
12-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I do $45-60 depending on if they are my regular customer (low end) and how much wheelbarrow work there is (high end). I've never done that big of a job though....my largest was 13 yards

tamadrummer
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't have a way to haul bulk mulch. I buy by the pallet. What do is charge 2xs the cost if it is pine bark nuggets which is the most expensive here anyway.

I have been able to talk all out of using colored mulch and also cypress mulch which I simply don't like.

So at $2.65 a bag 3cu/ft bags it comes out to $47.7/yd but I had actually not sat down and done the numbers on it to see what it came out to per/yd until just now.

I will always double the price of the pine bark as far as the install side of the price so I am not adjusting my labor rate to the price of the material. It still takes the same amount of labor to spread a yard of cypress or pine or eucalyptus...