PDA

View Full Version : Employee problems

Grapevine
10-17-2001, 09:28 PM
Ok here's the scenario.. I have 2 employees, good guys hard workers. One of them about a month ago did something to his back. We were pruning, nothing too strenuous on a Saturday and he said his back was sore. He called in sick on Monday through Thursday. I told him over and over to see a doctor, (he has full Health coverage) but he wouldn't. He comes back on Monday of the next week (I paid him for the week, $800.00 take home) Everything going fine until yesterday when he does it again. This time he goes to the emergency room and will be out for the remainder of the week and who knows after that. To make a short story long, my question is do I pay him while he's out and what are the repurcusions of a Workers Comp case if that should happen ? I've never had an employee do this before... No offense to anyone, but I would appreciate only hearing from full timers with employees

LoneStarLawn
10-17-2001, 09:46 PM
Dang I had the answer since I was faced with this at a previous job, but since I have no employees I can not answer.

lawnboy82
10-17-2001, 10:00 PM
You personally do not pay. File a claim with your worker's comp insurance people and they will take care of it; pay his salary / pay his med bills.

Runner
10-17-2001, 10:00 PM
Do you have workman's comp on him? If you have it, use it. By the way, if you're paying 800 a week, takehome, with full medical benefits, matbe I'll just come down and work for you. Can you use someone with college education, vast knowledge in turf diagnosis and treatment, maintenance operations management, mechanics, mastering of all aspects of machine operation, and about twenty years experience? Oh yeah, I keep myself athletically fit, too.:D

dhicks
10-17-2001, 10:19 PM
Fire your two workers and give me and Runner a job. I'll even bring my own equipment.:D :blob3:

Albemarle Lawn
10-17-2001, 10:57 PM
Your workman's comp premium must be really high if you are reporting $800/ week as his income.

It sounds like you are paying him too much to begin with. Though I own a lawn care operation, my degree is in economics. It is a proven theory that people work harder when they are poorer. Conversely, someone overpaid will tend to be lazy.

My hunch is that you have bad weeks where your employees make more $ than you do. Many of these weeks is my hunch. (For example....THIS WEEK!!!).

If you have worker's comp it is time to contact your insurer and file a claim. Let them take over, this is why you are forking over a huge premium each year.

Ken

Grapevine
10-17-2001, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the input boys, but I think I'll leave comp out of it until I need them. Are you guys seriously not making $800.00 a week ?... Whew!.. Ken, lets not forget around here we have about a 30-35 week season, you've got to pay people a living wage and $28,000 a year with Health is just about a living wage. I may not be an economics major, but don't you fret we make a nice living and do just fine, but I appreciate the concern.

Albemarle Lawn
10-17-2001, 11:41 PM
And an occasional $800 day.

I was saying BAD WEEKS where the employees make more. They happen, because no matter who makes a mistake the cost is always shouldered by the owner or his insurer. My employees get paid, even for the days when the break a mower spindle on a tree stump, etc.

Ken

lawrence stone
10-17-2001, 11:54 PM
Hey grapevine for that kind of money I will come up to MASS and work for you 3 days a week. I can live in your driveway in my camper van.

awm
10-18-2001, 07:24 AM
ill be setting on your front steps monday morn. just say the word.
please:)

Grapevine
10-18-2001, 07:49 AM
You'd be amazed, we can't find people to work in this area. I ran an ad in 3 newspapers and had very little response, and the ones who did just got out of prison. $18-20 an hour for a good solid employee who shows up runs and fixes equipment is not out of line. Let's face it , this work is hard and if you find somebody good, you have to hold on to them.
Ken, an occasional $800 a week ?.. That should be the minimum per day, not the exception. I don't care how bad my day is, none of my employees are making more than me.

smburgess
10-18-2001, 03:01 PM
I think you are REALLY asking for trouble. What if he doesn't get better? Emergency room visit, doctor visits, $800 a week (I'm amazed), you're already well over a grand or two out of your pocket. I cannot fathom why didn't turn it into WC when he went to the emergency room the first time. Even if your WC insurance would go up because of the claim (which is doubtful), you've spent way more than that already.

David Gretzmier
10-20-2001, 01:43 AM
Grapy- there are only two types of folks who make workman's comp problems for you- the ones who aren't actually hurt and want to screw you and the system, and the ones who are actually hurt but get no help from the business. If you keep your guy happy and pay his medical and most of his salary, you may be ok. If you don't have workman's comp, then you better pay his medical and some of his salary. a claim from him could shut you down. It should be noted that on workman's comp you don't get your entire salary, you get like 70-90% of your take home. I have had folks get hurt for me before, I bent over backwards to help with deductables, salary and cards. My employees are treated as friends. Daveg

Grapevine
10-20-2001, 07:10 AM
My wife talked to Comp insurance on Friday and said that rates would not increase with a claim...? They say because we've never had a claim that all that would happen is, we would lose our 5% a year in premium deductions ( which I didn't know I was getting anyway) Hey Gretzy, of course I have Workers Comp. what are you kidding ! The problem is the minute you go into the emergency room, the first thing they ask you is "did this happen at work" and if you answer yes then your health insurance no longer covers you... one more thing I didn't know. Smburgess, you know why I didn't go to Comp right away ?.. It's because I'm an idiot , thats why. It must be all the horror stories you hear and it scared the crap out me

GrassChopper
10-20-2001, 08:47 AM
I am doing something wrong. 800 a week to two employees and you make mor ethan they do? You gotta be pulling in 10-12k per month. I would have to charge 50.00 per cut to each customer to do that.

I'm moving to Taxacussetts, Grapevine are you hiring?

dmk395
10-20-2001, 10:02 AM
Grapevine,

I am in MA also and can relate to your worker problems. Just curious though, this guy who makes 800 a week, what do you bill him out hourly at?

Grapevine
10-20-2001, 06:38 PM
Grasschopper, I've been in this for 14 years.. In a 9 month season we average about 20,000 per month. My philosophy is , if I'm making money the people who work for me are making money, it's the only way to keep good help. I'm also not one of those bosses who wears the collared shirt, I do the same crap work as everyone.. it's the only way I know. The guy who hurt his back has worked for me for 5 years and is more than just a worker to us, he's worth the money.

Sean Adams
10-20-2001, 06:41 PM
My employees are treated as friends. Daveg

That is great to hear Dave. I hope everyone read this. Rules are rules are rules. If you have a good one (employee) do whatever you have to in order to keep him/her around. If it means pay more, then pay more. If it means pay bills, then pay bills. As long as you know your numbers and are comfortable with your profit, then do what you have to do.

Sean Adams

cos
10-21-2001, 06:28 AM
No offense,

How do you, yourself make money if you are paying these guys this amount of money for cutting grass? Since this guy is out of work, can I take his place?

mower
10-21-2001, 12:41 PM
I know this is my first post but i've been reading here and plowsite for awhile. I think some of you don't realize the cost of living in this area is very high. Also the construction industry is booming so people have plenty of work to keep them busy. I'd like to work for you but i'm just a kid in high school so I guess that means no $800 a week for me.

cos
10-21-2001, 01:34 PM
I'm moving!!!!!!!

dmk395
10-21-2001, 05:04 PM
Lets not forget I am rather sure this guy has some overtime built into the 800 a week.

LoneStarLawn
10-21-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by dmk395
Lets not forget I am rather sure this guy has some overtime built into the 800 a week.

He paid him for the week he didn't work. I wouldn't think overtime would be included since he didn't work.