PDA

View Full Version : Tire rotation question

DoetschOutdoor
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm on my second set of MT's and seeing as how they are not cheap at all, I would like to see this set last some time. My question is, how should I rotate them? I've got 5k on them now and they have been rotated three times keeping the tires on the same side just moving the front to back and so. Is this an acceptable pattern? With only 5k on them, I cant tell if they've worn at all and most of the tits are still on them. Anybody got any other ways of doing it or ways to make them last? Thanks in advance

grass_cuttin_fool
12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
I use the front to back and cross method ( X ) also...this works good unless you have directional tires

wayne

TXNSLighting
12-31-2007, 12:21 PM
youve rotated 3 times in only 5k miles? why? you dont need to do it but every 6 thousand miles. i got 40k out of my muds and never rotated them...ha!

DoetschOutdoor
12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
youve rotated 3 times in only 5k miles? why? you dont need to do it but every 6 thousand miles. i got 40k out of my muds and never rotated them...ha!

That may seem like alot of labor/time but it really isnt that bad. 2 days ago, I washed/waxed my truck and rotated the tires in a little over an hour in my free time. My first set of MT's didnt last very long at all due to not rotating enough and keeping the truck aligned properly so Im looking for ways to make these last. I was told by several people and shops to keep the tires rotated about every 2k miles. It seems like alot but I can rotate the tires in 15 minutes and if thats what it takes then...

T.E.
12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Rotating the tires will help get the most milage out of them. I try to rotate them every 5k miles. I've been told front to back, and back to front. I was also told the back can be crossed to the other side on the front.

Later, Tony

backhoe1
12-31-2007, 08:09 PM
The standard way to rotate tires is to go front to back, back to front and cross on the drive axle. (4x4 would consider the rear) ie: on a pu you'd go rf to lr, lr to lf, lf to rr, rr to rf.

Grass Happens
12-31-2007, 09:40 PM
The standard way to rotate tires is to go front to back, back to front and cross on the drive axle. (4x4 would consider the rear) ie: on a pu you'd go rf to lr, lr to lf, lf to rr, rr to rf.

When I took my alignment and suspension class, that's how we were taught.

Gravel Rat
12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
How about getting a 4 wheel wheel alignment your wheel alignment might be off. Mud tires don't last very long and depending on the brand and tread design they peal off like toilet paper. My brother has 235/85R-16 ya stockish tires on his Dodge Cummins its a work truck he only gets 20,000kms (13,000 miles) out of mud tires. The same size commercial light truck tires on my F-350 and F-Superduty (F-450 16inch wheels) I only got 18,000kms (11,185 miles) out of steer tires and 36,000kms (22,370 miles) out of the duals.

If you have a diesel P/U or a 3/4 ton to 1 ton it doesn't matter what you do its going to peal off steer axle tires. With the diesel P/U trucks pulling heavier trailers or carrying a decent load put tires through extreme stress. There is so much power in the new trucks the rim pull on the tires is enough to distort them when the power is applied.

TXNSLighting
01-02-2008, 09:36 AM
235's??! those are tiny!!! like i said i got 40k out of my mud tires.

SiteSolutions
01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
If it's that big a deal to you, which it seems to be, I would say rotate once every 5000, or maybe every oil change, and have the alignment checked when you do. Have the balance of the tires checked, too, especially if you feel any vibrations. Seems to me that alignment & balance issues will have a bigger impact than rotating them every two weeks.

That and the number one thing you can do to make them last: don't burn them up! Don't spin them and don't corner hard. Cause if you baby them, they will last even if you are a little slack in your maintenance. And if you don't take it easy on them, they won't last even if you rotate them twice a day.

Jason Rose
01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
This may seem silly... But your vehicles owners manual will give the correct tire rotation method for your truck.

DoetschOutdoor
01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I think I should be good to go on this set. I dont burn these tires off. Went through that stage a few years ago when pops would buy me new tires. Dont have that luxury anymore... They really dont ever give me a chance to burn them off either bc their always gripping. I am going to rotate about 5k or whenever I get the chance. I go to a shop and they usually want to charge me for a full hour of lift use so I will probably just rotate when I do oil changes at 3-4k. Got an alignment right when I got the tires and no vibrations, truck drives straight, etc. All of you guys that say your getting 40k out of mud tires, are your trucks IFS or solid axle? I know the IFS isnt the greatest in the world and prolly contributed to my last set wearing badly. Thanks for the suggestions

TXNSLighting
01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
it was a dodge so straight axle.

RedWingsDet
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I have 26k on the stock tires from Chevy. I haven't rotated them once since new, but I am this next oil change (next week). I still have about 65% of tread left.

DoetschOutdoor
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
You talking about mud terrains?