PDA

View Full Version : Pet Waste Anyone??

LawnCare_EMT
12-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Howdy, I was E-Mailed yesterday and had a new customer ask me to come to her house just to pick up her pet waste in her backyard. Business is kinda slow and she is interested in a lawn contract for the spring :dancing:. Anyone else do this kind of service and how much do you charge??

Whitey4
12-31-2007, 08:38 PM
I am going to offer it. During the cutting season, (small properties) for those who I do apps and maintenance for, it's only 5 bucks. I don't want the stuff on my equipment. During the off season, it's 15 bucks. My customers are all very closeby. If I can get 20 houses with almost no travel time, it takes less than 4 hours and brings in $300 a week in the off season. Better than moving snow, if ya don't mind the smell and there is no equipment to worry about. I do it in my own yard with 2 dogs, so I'm used to it.

I will charge 20 for non-lawn care customers. Takes 5 minutes. Opens some doors for more work too, hopefully. I'm a solo, so this sort of thing is easy to do. Heck, I only charge 25 for cuts and edging.... picking up poop is easy money. And yes.... 20 a weekly visit is the going rate around here... and people pay it. I call em chitaphobics!

Grits
12-31-2007, 09:44 PM
I have thought about it. But I am afraid I would feel like a complete ******* picking up poop out of someone's yard.

echeandia
01-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I have no interest in picking up dog doo. I had one customer whose dog went in a 10 x 10 area but they never picked it up. I did not mow there and I told them I wouldn't until they got it cleaned up. They never cleaned it and I never mowed that area.

grassnazi1
01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I do it on occasion... The problem being is it can be pretty time consuming. Case in point. Once customer...3 dogs... wanted it done for ten bucks and there was easily 5 months of crap from last winter. Now I usually charge per man hour and schedule it for 35-45 minutes. somewheres between 35-45 bucks to clean up a yard. This guy was crazy, so he didn't want it done. this year, after paying an extra $5 bucks per cut each week, he was inclined to pay the $45 bucks to have it done once in December and again in the spring coming up. So get a good buck for it, because no one wants to do it. I also tie up the bag and place it in there garbage containers, I dont tow dog crap.

echeandia
01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
These guys (http://www.poopertrooper.com/) charge $17 for one dog.

Whitey4
01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I do it on occasion... The problem being is it can be pretty time consuming. Case in point. Once customer...3 dogs... wanted it done for ten bucks and there was easily 5 months of crap from last winter. Now I usually charge per man hour and schedule it for 35-45 minutes. somewheres between 35-45 bucks to clean up a yard. This guy was crazy, so he didn't want it done. this year, after paying an extra $5 bucks per cut each week, he was inclined to pay the $45 bucks to have it done once in December and again in the spring coming up. So get a good buck for it, because no one wants to do it. I also tie up the bag and place it in there garbage containers, I dont tow dog crap.

Wow... 3 dogs over an entire winter? As a solo, that is too much crap even for me! I only offer weekly agreements. Then it doesn't take much time at all. I also throw it in the customer's garbage pails in tied plastic bags.

Big C
01-01-2008, 04:35 PM
That's why I'm gonna keep my full time job......no crap for me dude!

dave k
01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
At least they aren't asking you to pick up dog pee! LOL Sorry I just couldn't resist.:rolleyes:

Grits
01-01-2008, 07:10 PM
These guys (http://www.poopertrooper.com/) charge $17 for one dog.

:laugh: They also charge $90 per hour (and they proudly advertise it). More than most lawnboys! That's awesome.

Lance L
01-02-2008, 03:18 AM
im going to offer it... this year, i hate mowing lawns for people that dont know how to pick it up, one of my favs is a 2 acre, so mow it all with the z and they have a great dane, omg some stinky crap... even if i dodge it all... dont know if the guys will like it but once a lawn is maintained probably 5-10 mins a dog

maybe something similar to the website... 15(we arent spraying the pop stains...) for the 1st dog and 5 for each after that. maybe a little more for bigger dogs.

yardmanlee
01-02-2008, 08:14 AM
I dont pick up after anyones dog, but I will charge extra if they dont !!! you'll be suprised how many people will get out there to save 5 dollars per cut

Exact Rototilling
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
No other LCO in my area is offering this so I see this as a marketing combo payup up sell. If they are a weekly mowing client it will be $5 to $10 extra over the cut per dog and per size of the dog. I'd rather pick this up than clean a strangers toilet.

I've been picking up my own dogs $#it for well over 30 years. Not sure how to price it in the off season due to all the snow you need to dig up with it. I save all the empty dog food bags from the entire year just to throw out soiled nasty snow. I'll worry about that later. Just need to charge accordingly somehow.

Last mowing season one of my clients never picked it up and I quickly grew tired of running over it with the mower & it took maybe an extra 5 min to just pick it up to be done with it. I'm not looking forward to the first spring time mow. I'm expecting the back yard to be nearly completely covered. Regardless I view it as a customer satisfaction issue. The client is super happy with my work and paid me a substantial bonus on my last mow in the fall. I'm even thinking of advertising this service as part of the spring clean-up package. payup

What I do wonder is if there is some crazy red tape requirement on disposal for commercial operators. Packing with all the poop in your trailer would be a serious draw back especially in my enclosed trailer. I will do everything in my power to put it in the customers trash can. :dizzy:

wooley99
01-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Probably can't cart the stuff anywhere without a HAZMAT certification and approved transport/disposal of biological waste. It depends on your state's laws and EPA. You can chuck it in your client's trashcan. Another difference between what a commercial company can do and what a homeowner can.

DaveinSWFL
01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
There is a company in my area that is called, Doggie Butler. I see their trucks quite often. On the back the truck says "Your dogs buscuits are our bread & butter". Man that job would stink. Literally!

landscaper22
01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
None of that for me. The problem I see with offering this service to customers if they are not your regular mowing customers is that you really are not making any profit. Even if you charge $20, as high as gas is now, it would not be worth a trip. Maybe if you pass right by the place it would not be so bad. But if you have to make a special trip, you are losing. I would tell them sure I will do it. I charge $35 per man hour (one hour minimum) plus a disposal fee of $10. (just make up a fee to get some extra). Even then, I wouldn't do it.

RedCastle
01-04-2008, 12:17 AM
it is a great up sell and like mentioned before can lead to more work. I plan on offering the service. I know one compnay in the area that does and it has taken off...

Jay Ray
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm way down South and looking for a snowblower so I can get in the doggie business, go fast mushroom picking, and blow it in the neighbor's yard. Just kidding!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Exact Rototilling
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm also considering a dog walking service for guilt ridden dog owners. :walking:

jdmcat
01-09-2008, 05:09 AM
I dont pick up after anyones dog, but I will charge extra if they dont !!! you'll be suprised how many people will get out there to save 5 dollars per cut

i agree, i would much rather charge someone $5 for not picking up after their dog than charge them the same $5 to do it for them. what next, you want me to change grandpa's depends?