PDA

View Full Version : 1 Ton Trucks

AtoZ
01-01-2008, 12:31 AM
OK Here we go...

Just a quick thought before I ring in the new year.

Looking into buying another tow rig and small dump truck. I've decide to get a one ton due to cost. I currently have a 06 F-150 crew, 05 V-10 F-250 and a 03 6.0 F-550. Local towing handled by the f-250, long distance handled by the f-550.

I've pretty much decided not to buy another Ford. Mainly due because I've never had anything else. I drove an 08 1 ton chevy dump with a 10 foot body with an auto Duramax. Cheap Price - $34,000 out the door. Tons of power great tranny... Hated sitting 10 inches off the ground. Visibility was very poor, and cab was cramped inside. Other than that great diesel truck...

Drove a 08 F-550 with a 12' dump, auto 6.4 diesel. $43,000 out the door. I have a bad feeling with all this " great technology " under the hood. Drove ok, good visibility, feels and drives like a truck... I only worry about maintenance issues down the road.

Drove a new 10 miles, 2007 Dodge 1 ton cab & chassis with the 6.7 cummins and 6 speed manual. Loved the truck, like a Ford but better. I'm biased towards the Cummins... The Dodge 5500 and Sterling Bullet are out due to the $15,000 cost difference. I can rig it with a 12' Contractor body with fold down sides, tool boxes, and just about everything else I want for about $40,000...

Anybody have any thoughts or dislikes with the new 6.7 Cummins? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

muddstopper
01-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I have two friends that bought the 2007 cummins dodges this year and both dont like their truck. I havent driven either truck and only passing along what they claim. Both friends traded in older dodge cumming trucks for the newer model, both like the older trucks, but claim newer trucks dont have good pulling power. Both are talking about trading for a Ford. Take it with a grain of salt, as I said, I havent driven either truck

I had a 2005 4500 duramax with allison, good truck but had issues with dealer on warranty problems. (JFI, If you buy from JackyJones Chevrolet, they wont do the warranty work on the trucks they sell). Nothing major, leaking tranny line, leaking axle seal. I got tired of fighting with the dealer and traded the truck for a 2007 F450. 6.4 diesel. So far the Ford seems to have more power than the Duramax, but it just drives funny. Seems to scoot instead of turn, maybe something I will get used to. I do like the cab on the F450 better than the 4500 Chevy.

AtoZ
01-01-2008, 11:43 AM
No issues with the 6.4?

How about MPG?

KTM
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
IF you want info on the new Dodge 6.7 check out cumminsforum.com great site! Some people say they love the new engine and others hated it so much they went and found a pre emmissions 5.9 .IF I was buying one I think I would try to find a pre 07 emmissions truck no matter what brand you decide on.

hosejockey2002
01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I was considering a 1 ton dump until I really started checking into what they weigh empty compared to their GVWR. I saw a 1 ton Chevy Duramax with a 12 foot landscape box cross a scale weighing 9500 lbs. empty. This gave it less payload then my 2500HD pickup with dump insert. If you don't care about being overloaded then buy one and load her up. If you go with a 450/550 or 4500/5500 series truck then you have decent load carrying capacity.

tthomass
01-01-2008, 02:51 PM
You have all of the small support trucks you need. How about an International or Freightliner etc with a 14-16' dump. Heavier and better built trucks that will last longer. Their built heavier and will handle your current work easier. If height is an issue get a low profile and the bodies can be easily equiped in whatever fashion you want.

You're looking at $30,000 for a custom truck as I mentioned, done up with a little bling to promote your image and done right.

supercuts
01-01-2008, 04:27 PM
No issues with the 6.4?

How about MPG?

on the highway im lucky to get 15mpg, around town 10-13 and it seems to be dropping. my turbo has been making noises when slowing down, i need to bring it in. it went it for an alignment the first week i had it and it still pulls. starts and runs like a gas engine, even in the cold. turns good, kinda has a wierd pulsing feeling on pumps. it has about 1800 miles now so it still might be breaking in.

all and all. i kinda wish i found a nice 03 with a 7.3 that was clean, mint with low miles cheap. too bad you cant find a low miles 03 for much less than i paid for my new one.

tthomass
01-01-2008, 05:24 PM
on the highway im lucky to get 15mpg, around town 10-13 and it seems to be dropping. my turbo has been making noises when slowing down, i need to bring it in. it went it for an alignment the first week i had it and it still pulls. starts and runs like a gas engine, even in the cold. turns good, kinda has a wierd pulsing feeling on pumps. it has about 1800 miles now so it still might be breaking in.

all and all. i kinda wish i found a nice 03 with a 7.3 that was clean, mint with low miles cheap. too bad you cant find a low miles 03 for much less than i paid for my new one.

You'll be broken in around 20k. If like the DMAX's........improved mileage figures in the 10-15k range. I've got a DMAX but with only 6k.

AtoZ
01-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I totally agree that a International/Freightliner will outlast any truck made by the big three. In fact I purchased an 2001 International 4700 with a 16' Contractors Body with a 230 hp DT 466 about 2 months ago. After I got it back from Minnesota I took it to my local International dealer for a preventative engine scan. I was shocked to learn my 100,000 mile certified truck had 10,000 hrs on the engine which translates to well over 300,000 miles. Two weeks later, the third time I used it, I was hauling 3 tons decorative rock and my Kubota tractor to Bellevue, which is about 20 miles south of me, I scorched piston #1. A total engine overhaul was now in order. For a complete overhaul and a brand new valve job = $8,000...

All this less than three weeks after I purchased the truck. I still hadn't received the title in the mail yet. I told my dealer they could pay for the complete overhaul or come down and pick up their truck and give me a 100% refund. After 2 weeks of bickering they picked up the truck and gave me a check... Boy was I relieved!!!

I have now decided that my best option would be to can the medium duty truck and in 1 - 2 years buy a slightly used tandem dump and put a 16' contractors body on it. Looking for at least 350 hp to 400hp. I need high horsepower due to the small mountains around here. 230 hp was not enough in the International.

A one ton will be able to pull whatever I need to in the meantime, and still be able to haul at least 3 tons no problem. A new Medium duty truck can cost from $55,000 to $85,000... I'd rather have something I could never outgrow, a 400 hp Tandem Peterbilt with a Contractors body. I figure with less than 10,000 miles a year on the big tandem, I should have at least 25 years of service...

Gravel Rat
01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't buy a new Dodge 4500-5500 untill they prove themselves. Sterling really hasn't built small trucks and Dodge hasn't really built a truck bigger than a 1 ton in decades.

A 1 ton has no legal payload so it might not even be worth spending the money on a truck that can't haul anything.

TXNSLighting
01-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I have two friends that bought the 2007 cummins dodges this year and both dont like their truck. I havent driven either truck and only passing along what they claim. Both friends traded in older dodge cumming trucks for the newer model, both like the older trucks, but claim newer trucks dont have good pulling power. Both are talking about trading for a Ford. Take it with a grain of salt, as I said, I havent driven either truck

I had a 2005 4500 duramax with allison, good truck but had issues with dealer on warranty problems. (JFI, If you buy from JackyJones Chevrolet, they wont do the warranty work on the trucks they sell). Nothing major, leaking tranny line, leaking axle seal. I got tired of fighting with the dealer and traded the truck for a 2007 F450. 6.4 diesel. So far the Ford seems to have more power than the Duramax, but it just drives funny. Seems to scoot instead of turn, maybe something I will get used to. I do like the cab on the F450 better than the 4500 Chevy.

no such thing as an 07 6.4...

TXNSLighting
01-02-2008, 09:33 AM
dont buy the dodge! you will be unhappy. ford or gm is the only way to go. and all the new diesels look scary under the hood, not just the powerstroke. their all goin to have maintenance scares once you pass the 100k mile mark. i bet youll see alot of them on the dealer lots when they get those kinda miles. probably not goin to be worth much. i wouldnt want to replace those multi thousand dollar emmision systems. no thanks! i think since the gov required that crap on there, they should put a lifetime warranty on it! none of us wanted that expensive fuel mileage robbing crap!

muddstopper
01-03-2008, 10:31 PM
no such thing as an 07 6.4...

Mistyped, trucks an 08 and nows has 500 miles on it. But for future reference, the build tag says the truck was built in Feb 07.

Someone asked about fuel mileage, I havent checked, but it aint looking good. Then again, the truck only moves when its loaded or towing, grossing around 24,000lb.

plumbguy
01-03-2008, 10:33 PM
No issues with the 6.4?

How about MPG?

I average 13.9 - 14.2 with my 6.4 ps

AAXteriors
01-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Do the bigger trucks like the Internationals have all the emission crap on them like the medium duties do?

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Mistyped, trucks an 08 and nows has 500 miles on it. But for future reference, the build tag says the truck was built in Feb 07.

Someone asked about fuel mileage, I havent checked, but it aint looking good. Then again, the truck only moves when its loaded or towing, grossing around 24,000lb.

wow you got one of the first trucks off the line. they started building them mid feb. yeh love that early release. they did the same thing with the 07 yukon and tahoes. its been rumored the new f-150's will have that dang early release. that reall affects the value of the trucks badly.

TXNSLighting
01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Do the bigger trucks like the Internationals have all the emission crap on them like the medium duties do?

a few do. all will by 2010.

plumbguy
01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
you cannot tell my truck is a diesel from the exhaust fumes. It burns super clean. Big time emissions.

AtoZ
01-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Just drove the new cummins diesel home - love it!!!

Foz
01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
AtoZ

Which truck, chassis cab or pickup

Need to upgrade my half ton if I am going to get serious

capetrees
01-06-2008, 05:51 PM
With no profile as to what you do, it's kinda tough to recommend which way to go.

mag360
01-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Just drove the new cummins diesel home - love it!!!

Excellent choice. Gravel rat and texan will be mad though.

How do you like the standard exhaust brake on those hills you were talking about?

AtoZ
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I bought a 2007 Dodge Ram with a 6.7 Cummins diesel.

84" cab to axle
4x4
6 speed manual
loaded with everything but power windows and locks

It had 5 miles on the odometer when I bought it. The exhaust brake is very cool. The 12' dump body and other items are being added in about 2 weeks - have to order everything... The exhaust brake looks to be a very valuable asset on the truck.

I looked at all the trucks out there, Ford, GM, Dodge, International and so on... I liked Dodge the best and have always wanted a manual in a truck. I plan on keeping it for a long time so that's why I picked the manual. I shouldn't have any problems. I also needed a truck to take some of the towing strain of of my F-550.

The Chassis Cab comes with 305 horsepower and 610 lbs torque. I haven't really driven it at all but I anticipate 18 to 20 on the highway and 10 to 12 while towing. I usually pull between 10-18,000 lb trailers...

The true test for the Dodge will be in the next 6 months when I start putting it to work. It's getting a 12' dump body with engine mounted PTO. A coal shute, 6' & 3' underbody truck box, chrome nerf bars and whatever else I can think of... I'll post a picture of the chassis on Monday... Oh - it has 3.73 gears and runs just a tick over 2,000 rpm @ 70 mph...

BobcatBoy06
01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I def think you made a good choice buying the new dodge, I think its going to be one heck of a truck for you. Hopefully in the fall of the year we can add a new 4500 0r 5500 to our fleet of trucks, we have been out looking at a few and from what I have seen so far they are very impressive.

AtoZ
01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Drove a 5500, loved it!!!

Only one problem - it was $12,000 more than my 3500...

hosejockey2002
01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
AtoZ, what's the truck's GVWR and how much will it weigh when the box and hoist are installed? Also, has your dealer been pretty good helping you get the upfits arranged for your truck? When I shopped for my truck I found that the local Dodge dealers had no work trucks on their lots and they weren't especially interested in ordering them and upfitting them for work.

AtoZ
01-06-2008, 11:41 PM
The GVW is 12,000 lbs. With the dump body and all the other additions, It should be around 10,000 lbs. That gives me a legal payload of about 2,000 lbs. Extremely small I know but I can easily put 3 tons of weight with absolutely no problems. My F-550 dump weighs 12,000 lbs empty but it has a GVW of 19,000 lbs. I usually don't haul more than 12,000 lbs... My dealer was very knowledgeable and had about 15 diesels sitting on their lot. They have an upfit company that does work for them, but I have a different company that does all of my custom work. There is a big difference in quality and longevity when it comes to truck bodies. Also dealing with a reputable body upfitter that will stand behind their workmanship is priceless...

I will be able to haul a small but respectable load with the Dodge but the real treat is that it will tow any load I put behind it with safety and efficiency at the helm...

GVWR - Don't be stupid!!! Keep it under 30,000 lbs...

AtoZ
01-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Just to give you an idea they are selling 2007 Dodges with the following options -

Cummins Diesel
10' dump body fold-down sides
Automatic
4x2
60" cab to axle
All for the low low price of $31,500

Local GM dealership with about the same options plus 4x4 for $34,100 out the door...

TXNSLighting
01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
theres a reason their cheap. and if your expecting that kinda mileage, your going to be dissapointed. the new emmision friendly diesels wont allow good fuel economy.

mag360
01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
theres a reason their cheap. and if your expecting that kinda mileage, your going to be dissapointed. the new emmision friendly diesels wont allow good fuel economy.

The duramax was the cheap one that he test drove. He bought the dodge because he liked the feel of it better.
Agreed on the mileage---only a small percentage of 6.7 owners are reporting that kind of highway mpg.

Foz
01-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Drove a Dodge 3500 crew cab with 6.7 Cummins today. Nice truck, quiet, rode well, like the engine brake. Looking for something to startup with. Going to do mostly plantings & hardscapes, maybe a little mowing (very little, too cut throat).

Thinking of installing a TruckCraft aluminum insert. Should allow almost 4,000 lbs of payload which is much greater than having a chassis cab with dump box installed. Learned years ago that you won't make $$ trucking. So I would have most of my materials trucked for me. The dump insert will be for convenience only.

TXNSLighting
01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
The duramax was the cheap one that he test drove. He bought the dodge because he liked the feel of it better.
Agreed on the mileage---only a small percentage of 6.7 owners are reporting that kind of highway mpg.

im talking about build quality... and he said the cummins was 31, duramax was 34...

TXNSLighting
01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Drove a Dodge 3500 crew cab with 6.7 Cummins today. Nice truck, quiet, rode well, like the engine brake. Looking for something to startup with. Going to do mostly plantings & hardscapes, maybe a little mowing (very little, too cut throat).

Thinking of installing a TruckCraft aluminum insert. Should allow almost 4,000 lbs of payload which is much greater than having a chassis cab with dump box installed. Learned years ago that you won't make $$ trucking. So I would have most of my materials trucked for me. The dump insert will be for convenience only.

just dont do the dodge, youll be happy at first but it will start falling apart soon. and the 6.7 cummins isnt near as good as the 5.9!

AtoZ
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Are the 2007 Duramax's worse than the 2001 Duramax's ???

AtoZ
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh, in case you were wondering - a dealer can sell a vehicle for any price they want to. It's a business too... They watch their bottom line and margins also. Do you really think a dealer can sell a vehicle for $34,000 and be at rock bottom pricing? What about the dealer that sells 500 of one type of vehicle for $31,000... Get with it, pricing means nothing... Most people get ripped off when they purchase a new vehicle, because the dealer says they can't go any lower than invoice. If that's the case go somewhere else that wants your business...

GravelyNut
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Oh, in case you were wondering - a dealer can sell a vehicle for any price they want to. It's a business too... They watch their bottom line and margins also. Do you really think a dealer can sell a vehicle for $34,000 and be at rock bottom pricing? What about the dealer that sells 500 of one type of vehicle for $31,000... Get with it, pricing means nothing... Most people get ripped off when they purchase a new vehicle, because the dealer says they can't go any lower than invoice. If that's the case go somewhere else that wants your business...
Word!!!!!

My $34000 truck went out the door for $27000. Dealer would have sold me a diesel one for $34000 with a list of over $42000. And that was without the discount for the GM card.

mag360
01-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Yep. Catch them at the right time and apply a little pressure and the price goes way down.

TXNSLighting
01-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Are the 2007 Duramax's worse than the 2001 Duramax's ???

no? theyre 10 times better.