PDA

View Full Version : IH buys GM medium duty truck line

ksss
01-01-2008, 01:51 AM
I found this on the net. Surprising to say the least. Sorry I don't have the link. I am not sure what this means to medium duty GM owners. I guess IH will take over building the truck and I hope that they don't monkey with it too much. I like my 5500. There is room for improvement but if I wanted an IH I would have bought one. I actually looked into an IH they were 20K more money for an equivalent truck.

Fieldman12
01-01-2008, 03:34 AM
It kinds of does not surprise me that GM sold them. They just sold the Allison Automatic transmissions a while back also except the one in the pickups. You would think they would be money in trucks for GM but I guess not. I have a budy I was talking to tonight that said he does not like his 5500. He said it has had 18 injectors put in it so far and it is a 2007. I guess the money is in the big trucks like KW and Peterbilt.

janb
01-01-2008, 04:38 AM
yes, this is probably "Too Bad" for GM owners who are loyal and prefer them. It looks to be one of those "corporate" $$ things... GM doesn't see an immediate way to make big profits in this division, tho it may have been a nice money generator and beneficial to long term company engineering / economic diversity. Obviously it was better to sell and get immediate dollars to impress stockholders. IH has not been too competitive, and certainly not the design leader. It is like the Dell computer of truck manufacturers. Leverage the R&D of other companies, and buy the most affordable components, even if it may be a cluge. (not that Dell is bad... but... it IS MUCH cheaper to run that type of business model)

Kind of like WalMart... If it doesn't churn out quick revenue, they don't stock it.

My ex-employer is doing similar things, selling very prime real estate and leasing back space for high $$. Looks good for short term finances... but it's essentially 'funny-money'; with long term negative to book value. a-kin to 'spray paint' rebuilds in our industry, or booking advance sales... (that doesn't last long...).

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:48 AM
If had replaced 18 injectors I would not be happy with either. I have had two warranty issues with mine. What does suck is if it does need work I have to take it to a med. duty dealer which is about 60 miles away. Major PINA. The 4500 and 5500 are nearly identical the 4500 can be worked on by any dealer the 5500 by med. duty dealer only. That is stupid. The pluses are it is a very solid platform. Unlike the Ford and Dodge it is med. duty truck to start with. You can sure tell when you tow heavy with one. The other is its off road ability. Amazing is all I can say. I have a huge logo on mine, looks awesome, very good for projecting a positive business image. The downside: The interior was done on the cheap, rough riding, mileage sucks without help from a programer.

qps
01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
how about some pics of your stuff ?????...:weightlifter:

Scag48
01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
how about some pics of your stuff ?????...:weightlifter:

Yeah, I agree. Let's see those square nose beuties!

tnmtn
01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
i have been looking at the 5500's for a while. just can't seem to pull the trigger. what gets me is the gcvw for a 550 isn't much more than a 3500. i know the truck can tow heavier but for some reason they leave it low. the 3500 with the dmax/allison has been amazing to me with the 3.73 gearing. it would seem a 5500 with the 5.13 would be that much better for the heavier loads. it has me leaning strongly toward an international in the next couple months.
good luck,

ksss
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM
The GVW is considerable 11,900 vs 19,500. Your right the GCVW is not as great 18000K vs 24000K (these numbers are approx.). There is a huge difference in the way they handle a load. I have both so it is easy to compare. The 5500 is much heavier duty, although not as comfortable. I wanted the capacity of the 5500, combined with room (crew cab) and 4X4. Not as many options with that kind of criteria. I will post a picture of it.

SiteSolutions
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
yes, this is probably "Too Bad" for GM owners who are loyal and prefer them. It looks to be one of those "corporate" $$ things... GM doesn't see an immediate way to make big profits in this division, tho it may have been a nice money generator and beneficial to long term company engineering / economic diversity. Obviously it was better to sell and get immediate dollars to impress stockholders.

GM has been in deep 5h1t financially and selling things off is what happens when you can't pay your bills. I don't think they are doing this to pad anyone's wallet; they are doing it to survive.

Fieldman12
01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I come from a GM family. Most of my family members are retired from there. GM is trying hard to stay on top in the US as number one. It is obvious there main focus is cars, and then pickup trucks and as you can now see not any farther than that when it comes to bigger trucks. GM claims with all these changes that they will be really strong in the next ten years. Who knows what the correct thing for them to do is. I just feel especially with the Allison sale that they sold one of the better things they have.

ksss
01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Hopefully this will post. Not a great picture I have better I just cant locate them.

tnmtn
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
if the gcvw is 24,000# and you take away the tare weight of the truck it doesn't leave much. maybe 12-13000#. this just doesn't make sense. again i agree about the capabilities of the truck but would hate to get in an accident with 12,000 pound load plus the trailer weight. seems a lawyer would have easy pickins. my goal is to be able to carry 2 attachments on a flat bed and tow a dingo(3000#) and the backhoe(9300#) on the same trailer. even though i know the 5500 could do this no problem it just seems the ratings shoot you down. the ability to have 4 wheel drive would be great as well.

Fieldman12
01-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I like the Case skid steer on the side of the truck.

SiteSolutions
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
if the gcvw is 24,000# and you take away the tare weight of the truck it doesn't leave much. maybe 12-13000#. this just doesn't make sense. again i agree about the capabilities of the truck but would hate to get in an accident with 12,000 pound load plus the trailer weight. seems a lawyer would have easy pickins. my goal is to be able to carry 2 attachments on a flat bed and tow a dingo(3000#) and the backhoe(9300#) on the same trailer. even though i know the 5500 could do this no problem it just seems the ratings shoot you down. the ability to have 4 wheel drive would be great as well.

I think maybe there is confusion over the combined rating and the gross rating? That truck probably can't tow the maximum while carrying the maximum, but I bet it can tow maximum and still carry a lot, or carry the max and still tow a lot. I bet you could tow 10,000 pounds with it and still carry a half a load in/on the bed. I've done that with my old 26,000# truck often enough.

I can tow/haul around 10k with my 350; you're right, it wouldn't make sense for a much bigger and more expensive truck to have nearly identical performance.

ksss
01-01-2008, 07:52 PM
As far as legal load, DOT here anyway looks at the weight ratings of the axles, factors in length of trailer if applicable as long as you dont exceed the weight ratings your legal. The rear axle has a 13,500 rating and the front is 8K. If I recall the weigh rating on a 3500 is 4K although I may be wrong. You would have no problem hauling your hoe, a Dingo and attachments. I carry a 12.5K excavator and my 7K 440 and haul them both at the same time with a gooseneck trailer. I have never had an issue with DOT saying I am overweight. The trailer is a 24K gooseneck.

tnmtn
01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
ksss, great lookin truck.
i agree the truck can tow it and have no doubt it can tow 24,000#. but, if the gcwr is 24,000 that does include the tagged weight of the trailer and tow vehicle. this is why someone without a cdl can't tow an over 10,000 # tagged trailer even if it is empty. doesn't make sense and i am sure the axle weights can be fine with the proper weight rate trailer. just wish GM had given it a higher rating. again i'm not worried what a DOT officer would say about it as much as a pencil pushing ambulance chaser. i know some of the 5500's have a 30,000#gcwr, had something to do with which transmission i believe. also, i know it is common practice for people to tow heavier than rated loads whether by gooseneck or on the bumper. guess the answer would be to find out if there is any legal relevance to what the gcwr says. if it has no bearing then as opposed to axle weights then no problem. maybe they could then refer to it as suggested gcvwr.
good luck,

qps
01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice truck....just need a crew to put in it now:drinkup:

ksss
01-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Nice truck....just need a crew to put in it now:drinkup:
Naw, I just store the laser, and grade reader in the backseat anyway.:waving:

qps
01-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Naw, I just store the laser, and grade reader in the backseat anyway.:waving:

Smart man.....let's see the pic's of the other stuff...I showed mine...you show yours..:waving:

dozerman21
01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Sharp looking truck. Those Kodiaks look really good with 4WD. Now you just have to update your vinyl decal to the newer style Case graphics...:cool2:

dozerman21
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
By the way KSSS, any idea what kind of fuel milage you get when you're pulling both machines? Also, what kind of brakes do you have for the trailer?

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:25 PM
By the way KSSS, any idea what kind of fuel milage you get when you're pulling both machines? Also, what kind of brakes do you have for the trailer?

My mileage is about 7-8 fully loaded. As far as the brakes on the trailer, I am not sure what size they are, but they are electric. I know the graphics are out of date. I may have to find another cool (subjective I know) graphic showing the updated graphic scheme. That one came out of a CASE propaganda mag.

dozerman21
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info. That's pretty descent milage for that amout of weight. You know as soon as you update your graphics, Case will come out with something different!:laugh:

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:40 PM
It only gets 13 unloaded and about 9 when pulling just an excavator or just the 465 skid steer. When I picked it up from the dealer I got 7. I promptly got on the net and located a programmer. With the lowest power setting (it is a Pacific Performance downloader) it gives me the above numbers. I cant imagine not having the programmer. I was plenty pissed when it took me half a tank of fuel to go 60 miles when I brought it home. It is at least now tolerable. The capacity of the truck makes it worth the cost. I have a custom toolbox which fits over an L shaped fuel tank on the back of the flatbed now. That photo was taken prior to pulling a float in the 4th of July parade. I took everything off of it. The truck is a like a cat on icy roads, very stable with a load. Pulling back and forth to Mt last year over the Divide about 25 times and never a problem.

allinearth
01-02-2008, 06:55 AM
I love that graphic. Makes the truck look ten x sharper. It already was sharp but the case is an eye catcher.

talus
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Dang that's nice KSSS. Definitely an eye catcher. I haven't pulled the trigger on mine yet. Hope to have it by the spring. That's a lot of weight you tow. I guess I won't have any issues with a 9000lb ctl and 4500lb trailer. Holy crap that thing must be as long as a freight train.Gotta go supercross is comin on. Thanks.

ksss
01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
No you wont have any problems with that kind of weight. Hopefully your favorite motorcross rider does better than my Redskins did today. Heartbreaking:cry:

dozerman21
01-05-2008, 10:54 PM
No you wont have any problems with that kind of weight. Hopefully your favorite motorcross rider does better than my Redskins did today. Heartbreaking:cry:

Redskins fan? Really? They must have been your team growing up since you're so far away. They were in good shape until they missed that short FG.:hammerhead: I feel your pain... I had to witness Vandershanks 30 yard wide right kick 2 years ago against Pittsburgh!:cry:

Sorry... I can get carried away talking football. Go Colts!!

About that sharp looking Chevy...:usflag:

hosejockey2002
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Hopefully your favorite motorcross rider does better than my Redskins did today. Heartbreaking:cry:

Boy, that's just too bad.... GO HAWKS!!!!!

ksss
01-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Redskins fan? Really? They must have been your team growing up since you're so far away. They were in good shape until they missed that short FG.:hammerhead: I feel your pain... I had to witness Vandershanks 30 yard wide right kick 2 years ago against Pittsburgh!:cry:

Sorry... I can get carried away talking football. Go Colts!!

About that sharp looking Chevy...:usflag:

Since it is my thread I have no problem hijacking it. I have been a 'Skins fan since I was old enough to follow football. How he missed that FG is beyond me. He has been a good kicker. Overall we could have won that game. We needed to play a better first half, had we done that it would have been ours to win. Well I guess there is always next year.

P.Services
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM
ksss your truck is awsome!!!!! i want it with a mulch dump on it.