PDA

View Full Version : Edging vs Trimming

rjgolfer
01-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I see guys here in the Kansas City area don..'t use edgers.....seems they use their timmers to edge sidewalks/driveways.
Do most of you have edgers or do you use your trimmer's????

KS_Grasscutter
01-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I use a stick edger about 95% of the time. It produces a perfect edge consistantly all the time, where as with the trimmer it's real easy to mess up... Around here most people use stick edgers.

rjgolfer
01-01-2008, 11:59 AM
That was my concern..easy to mess up!! It seems it would be a lot easier to produce a straight clean line using the edger vs trimmer. What kind of edger do you have??

Young Lawn Boy
01-01-2008, 12:08 PM
i dont even own an edger. i was taught to just use a trimmer and i dont really know any other way.

once you get used to the trimmer i also think that it might be faster

BUCKEYE MOWING
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
EDGE-IT !!! A great tool that makes your life much easier.

KS_Grasscutter
01-01-2008, 12:14 PM
That was my concern..easy to mess up!! It seems it would be a lot easier to produce a straight clean line using the edger vs trimmer. What kind of edger do you have??

FC75 Stihl. Works great. Sometimes a little more power wouldn't hurt though.

Happy Frog
01-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I use an Edger. With the power I have on the PAS-265, I hardly have to touch the throttle to get a perfect edge.
I have yet to see anyone get such an edge with a trimmer...

rjgolfer
01-01-2008, 01:47 PM
i dont even own an edger. i was taught to just use a trimmer and i dont really know any other way.

I agree it would probably be faster...but being new in the business I want to do the best job I can and make sure I cut in a straight line so it looks great. Sure your lawns look great too but you have a few years experience on me:)

Happy Frog
01-01-2008, 02:21 PM
No matter what some may say, you cannot get the same edging quality with a string trimmer.
It has to do with using a string vs. a blade: the blade will give you a cleaner edge.
Do you want better quality or save some time?
Here is the question you need to answer for yourself.

Happy Frog
01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I use an Edger. With the power I have on the PAS-265, I hardly have to touch the throttle to get a perfect edge.
I have yet to see anyone get such an edge with a trimmer...
I meant, I barely have to touch the throttle...

Whitey4
01-01-2008, 02:50 PM
It is way too easy to make a mistake with a string trimmer, especially if the soil is dry. I've seen guys make WWI trenches with a string trimmer on dry soil! On the other hand, I've seen guys that edge really well with it too. I don't seem to have the knack. Using a stick edger is easier on the arms, so for me, it's a stick edger.

rjgolfer
01-01-2008, 03:06 PM
No matter what some may say, you cannot get the same edging quality with a string trimmer.
It has to do with using a string vs. a blade: the blade will give you a cleaner edge.
I definetley want quality over speedand willing to speed the little extra time. I just think the edging with an edger looks better than edging with the trimmer. Just my opinion.

rjgolfer
01-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your opinion. I would rather deliver quality and spend to little extra time to edge with an edger vs trimmer.

SNAPPER MAN
01-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Me and my guys use the trimmers almost all the time to edge. After a few years doing it with a trimmer it is so easy and I can get it really really straight. I have an edger too but it almost never comes off the trimmer rack. Once you get good edging with a trimmer it is more convenient and doesnt take as much time as an edger becuase since you already have to trim just edge while you do that so you dont waste the time going to the trailer to get the edger. Just my personal opinion and what works good for me.

lawnshark2420
01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Edge It !!!!

Patriot Services
01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I always use a stick edger and a big one at that. If it is a new or neglected account I will even break out the McLane walk behind and shovel up the cutting. St. Augustine does not edge well with a string trimmer and you go through alot of line. During the growing months I edge every week. It sets the quality apart from alot of lco's that I have seen that don't even bother to edge and leave 6" of grass creeping across the hardscape.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Grits
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Stick edger. I will ocassionally use the trimmer to edge with, but only if the edge isn't that bad. But it is rare. I like the look of the stick edger.

LAwnpro13
01-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Stick edger every week....as fast as you can move, you can stick edge perfectly....IMO

rjgolfer
01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Stick edger every week....as fast as you can move, you can stick edge perfectly....IMOThanks for the opinions.....think I will look into buying a stick edger. OK with spending a little extra time to get a nice look!

LAwnpro13
01-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Your more then welcome. I have a Echo and a RedMax stick edger and they are both good machines. I like the Echo a little better just for power and weight, but both are good.

I have a big walk behind JD edger and it has not been out of the shop in almost 2 years, as I have not found any amount of overgrowth the sticks can't handle perfectly. Only edge i use a line trimmer on is asphalt, everthing else is blade, every week.

Midstate Lawncare
01-03-2008, 10:05 AM
the majority of you are saying stick edger.... is this somthing you could do on a monthly basis or every two weeks and use the string trimmer the rest of the time? Remember, I am from Illinois, most grass in my area is blue/rye mix or fescue mixes, not alot of zoisa or "creeping" varieties of grass. I haven't seen one lcc in my area use an edger come to think of it. btw this is my first year offering mowing.

rjgolfer
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
the majority of you are saying stick edger.... is this somthing you could do on a monthly basis or every two weeks and use the string trimmer the rest of the time? Remember, I am from Illinois, most grass in my area is blue/rye mix or fescue mixes, not alot of zoisa or "creeping" varieties of grass. I haven't seen one lcc in my area use an edger come to think of it. btw this is my first year offering mowing.Same thing here in Kansas City..I am new to the business but have not observed anyone using edgers...only line trimmers. Maybe due to our blue grass???...very little "creeping" varieties here as well. Love the look of a STRAIGHT edged sidewalk but not sure I can do that with a trimmer.

Midstate Lawncare
01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Same thing here in Kansas City..I am new to the business but have not observed anyone using edgers...only line trimmers. Maybe due to our blue grass???...very little "creeping" varieties here as well. Love the look of a STRAIGHT edged sidewalk but not sure I can do that with a trimmer.

I have 1 year "real" commercial mowing under my belt and 5 years commercial chemical experience. I didn't touch an edger last year(mow year)....did all of it with a string trimmer.....tore some grass up too. You're right on the straight line look... how much actual time would it take more than string trimming though. I use my lawn as kindof a ruler.... sidewalk in front 85 ft, side ??? 100 ft +. would probably take 20 minutes with stick edger???? takes 5 with a string trimmer. Probably somthing to do once per month. how about you florida guys, do you use edgers because of the type of grass? or because people pay more down there. I have 12k sq ft, takes 25 min to mow trim and blow off w/ 1 guy no bagging(60 in gravely 260 z diesel), I'd charge $30 .....easy to mow.

rjgolfer
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I have 1 year "real" commercial mowing under my belt and 5 years commercial chemical experience. I didn't touch an edger last year(mow year)....did all of it with a string trimmer.....tore some grass up too. You're right on the straight line look... how much actual time would it take more than string trimming though. I use my lawn as kindof a ruler.... sidewalk in front 85 ft, side ??? 100 ft +. would probably take 20 minutes with stick edger???? takes 5 with a string trimmer. Probably somthing to do once per month. how about you florida guys, do you use edgers because of the type of grass? or because people pay more down there. I have 12k sq ft, takes 25 min to mow trim and blow off w/ 1 guy no bagging(60 in gravely 260 z diesel), I'd charge $30 .....easy to mow.I will use MY yard for "training":) Ok messing up my yard a little but would hate to screw up a customers yard. Since this is my first year I will probably invest the extra 10 minutes and stick edge to get the look I want and practice with the trimmer on my yard.

Midstate Lawncare
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I will use MY yard for "training":) Ok messing up my yard a little but would hate to screw up a customers yard. Since this is my first year I will probably invest the extra 10 minutes and stick edge to get the look I want and practice with the trimmer on my yard.

the only problem I see with edging every time is the extra time, and next year your customers will "expect it" for the same money.

rjgolfer
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
the only problem I see with edging every time is the extra time, and next year your customers will "expect it" for the same money.Good point..but just starting out I want to differentiate my services,.....and this might be one small way of doing that.

Midstate Lawncare
01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Good point..but just starting out I want to differentiate my services,.....and this might be one small way of doing that.

in my area, that would do it. I think I will offer edging too, just not every trip without the payup

Patriot Services
01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I have 1 year "real" commercial mowing under my belt and 5 years commercial chemical experience. I didn't touch an edger last year(mow year)....did all of it with a string trimmer.....tore some grass up too. You're right on the straight line look... how much actual time would it take more than string trimming though. I use my lawn as kindof a ruler.... sidewalk in front 85 ft, side ??? 100 ft +. would probably take 20 minutes with stick edger???? takes 5 with a string trimmer. Probably somthing to do once per month. how about you florida guys, do you use edgers because of the type of grass? or because people pay more down there. I have 12k sq ft, takes 25 min to mow trim and blow off w/ 1 guy no bagging(60 in gravely 260 z diesel), I'd charge $30 .....easy to mow.

Here in Florida it is a weekly MUST from March to Nov then maybe 2 or three times a month. In other words when you mow you edge. You can edge as fast as you walk after an initial line is established. Takes me 2-3 minutes per yard and is just a part of the service, not an add on. St. Augustine, Bermuda, Bahia, Zoysia all look like crap if you don't edge. Many times you have to run around the beds too if they don't have barriers as these grasses will quickly invade them. :usflag::usflag::usflag:

ed2hess
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Good point..but just starting out I want to differentiate my services,.....and this might be one small way of doing that.

When you are inexperienced with the use of a trimmer for making edges it is probably better to use the edger. It sometimes takes our guys a few months to make a good edge. Practice Practice.

rjgolfer
01-04-2008, 05:49 AM
When you are inexperienced with the use of a trimmer for making edges it is probably better to use the edger. It sometimes takes our guys a few months to make a good edge. Practice Practice.Thanks...will plan on practicing on my own yard first:)

Happy Frog
01-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Like some said before, once line is established, you will trim as fast as you can walk.
The edger gives you a clean cut into the soil to establish and maintain the edge. You cannot obtain the same result with a trimmer, period.

NC Greenscaper
01-04-2008, 08:34 AM

If you worked for me and it took you 20 minutes, you'd be back to applying chemicals :confused:. My stick edger takes the same amount of time as a string trimmer as fast as your little feet will move. The cut with me and most I've seen looks much better than that of a trimmer.

LAwnpro13
01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I have found that I can easily edge twice if not three times faster with a stick then with a line trimmer. And there is NO comparing quality of the edge between the two. Stick is ONLY way to go IMO.

ed2hess
01-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Like some said before, once line is established, you will trim as fast as you can walk.
The edger gives you a clean cut into the soil to establish and maintain the edge. You cannot obtain the same result with a trimmer, period.
Trimmers do good enough........and are widely used in our area. The only time an edger is used is when we have long long sidewalks and curbs where the trimmer get too heavy. The edger throws up too much trash/dirt to get rid of quickly on large properties and when it is wet it just won't really work. And besides we got too darn much equipment on trailers now don't need more.

itsallaboutthestripes
01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Edgers are for the guys that don't have the skills to use a trimmer. I love to see guys that edge every week with a stick edger the lawn looks great having that 5 inch gap between the grass and the concrete.

rjgolfer
01-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Edgers are for the guys that don't have the skills to use a trimmer. I love to see guys that edge every week with a stick edger the lawn looks great having that 5 inch gap between the grass and the concrete.I have edged my yard with an edger for years and there is NO 5 inch gap between concrete and yard. In fact just the opposite....nice tight cut next to sidewalk looks great! The 5 inch gaps I see are from guys going wild with the string trimmer.

Midstate Lawncare
01-05-2008, 12:36 PM
If you worked for me and it took you 20 minutes, you'd be back to applying chemicals :confused:. My stick edger takes the same amount of time as a string trimmer as fast as your little feet will move. The cut with me and most I've seen looks much better than that of a trimmer.
LOL. so how long should it take? 26o + lin. feet? once the cut is established? with a stick edger. little feet? lol.

Edgers are for the guys that don't have the skills to use a trimmer. I love to see guys that edge every week with a stick edger the lawn looks great having that 5 inch gap between the grass and the concrete.

I have the skills to use a trimmer and I still tore stuff up. that 5" gap is usuaully a curve that fits a string trimmer. btw.... wich one are you?

Serrano_Landscaping
01-05-2008, 03:06 PM
String trim 100%.

Im here to make money. All my customers are high end, they dont have any problems. well after 5 years of string trimming you'll get really good at it.

lawnscapesLLC
01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I only break out the walk behind edger once or twice a year. Or on a new customer that has not been edged in awhile. Once the edge is established it's all string trimmer. If your skilled with the trimmer you can make it look perfect.

jiggz
01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I have always used a trimmer..Kawi is extreamally well balanced.. and i can put down a GREAT edge with it..recientally i bought a redmax and couldn't edge with it for **** LOL it kept wanting to walk into the turf cause it vibrates ALOT more . but after about a day i was kicking out some sweet edges.. and belive me i pride myself on my edges.. so if you do it enough youll get just good as a stick edger.. ((ive never used one)) but i cant see them being anymore perfect then mine. i was edging like 250 lawns a week though.. maby i just got real good at it :weightlifter:.. for me it saved alot of time going back for equpt i really didnt need... I will say this though If you need to establish a real overgrown edge a stick or walkbehind is the ONLY way to go.. youll be there for awhile with a trimmer

jiggz
01-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I only break out the walk behind edger once or twice a year. Or on a new customer that has not been edged in awhile. Once the edge is established it's all string trimmer. If your skilled with the trimmer you can make it look perfect.

hey man i grew up in Cherry Hill..heh, you on the east or west side?

freshprince94
01-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Here in Florida it is a weekly MUST from March to Nov then maybe 2 or three times a month. In other words when you mow you edge. You can edge as fast as you walk after an initial line is established. Takes me 2-3 minutes per yard and is just a part of the service, not an add on. St. Augustine, Bermuda, Bahia, Zoysia all look like crap if you don't edge. Many times you have to run around the beds too if they don't have barriers as these grasses will quickly invade them. :usflag::usflag::usflag:

this is exactly true. here in florida, edging with a stick edger ia just automatic. no one edges with trimmers except homeowners. occaisionaly u see a lawn that has not been edged but thats usually the lco that is out of the biz in a few months.

itsallaboutthestripes
01-06-2008, 09:37 AM
LOL. so how long should it take? 26o + lin. feet? once the cut is established? with a stick edger. little feet? lol.

I have the skills to use a trimmer and I still tore stuff up. that 5" gap is usuaully a curve that fits a string trimmer. btw.... wich one are you?

I only use a trimmer and can lay an edge that looks as good or better than a stick edger. People talk about large ares to edge we edge 7 blocks of town homes every week. Takes 4 guys 3 hours of trimming to do all buildings, trees fence that separates the properties and all concrete edges. After a while you will figure out how to edge with a trimmer and will leave the edgers at the shop.

Valk
01-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I edge ALL concrete walking backwards...is much easier to see my line...and the projectiles are then (mostly) moving away from the operator.

TheYardBoys
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM

i agrre i did use trimmers for the first two years of my business. And i thought they were the fastest and best way to edge sidewalks. Well that changed when this summer i bought a Stihl edgeer. Since then i havent looked back to edging with a trimmer. Yeah.