PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Film alternative?

Green Boys LawnCare
01-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative to fluid film. I'm sure it's good stuff, just not very cheap. Thanks

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
my dad once told me........." you get what you pay for........."

LindblomRJ
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
my dad once told me........." you get what you pay for........."

True.

Depending on the application. WD-40 is an option for some things.

But Fluid Film impresses me.

cantoo
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Green Boys, I'm the first one to rag on Dano about the cost of Fluid Film but like DRM says " sometimes you get what you pay for". I have tried almost every type of spray lube out there and keep going back to Fluid Film. It sticks and stays where it's needed. You just have to do alittle searching to find a good price. Over here TSC has had it on sale for 40% off several times in the last couple of months. I missed the first sale ( some ahole bought all they had in stock) but got a couple of cans the second sale (only 3 cans left) for the sale price. Next time I'm sending my brother in law to the store to buy it all, he lives 1/2 block away from the store. The stuff grows legs in the shop and in my trucks. I'm thinking of making some WD40 labels to paste over the Fluid Film ones so no one takes it. I've never used it under the mower deck but have heard it works good there too.

Restrorob
01-01-2008, 06:38 PM
What's cheaper, Buying Fluid Film or replacing worn/corroded/rusted parts ?

Most other brand penetrating/lubricating sprays are mineral spirits based and evaporate shortly after applying, Fluid Film does not/will not.

Which is the better deal ?

bigmower1
01-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I never used fluid film. Is it a spray and what do people use it on?

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
$5.05 a can....

www.mcmaster.com
The part number is.....12055K74

44DCNF
01-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector.....dries to more of a waxy coating so it may be more appropriate for some applications, or not. I'm not saying one is better or cheaper than the other but there is one alternative.

tamadrummer
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
$5.05 a can....

www.mcmaster.com
The part number is.....12055K74

Holy cow, I pay $14 a can at my dealer. I have a couple cans but I will be going to McMaster for my FF needs next time.

And to answer the OP, a little goes a long way and doesn't harm any of the plants we work around. For that, there is no alternative

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-06-2008, 06:24 PM
it's only the greatest corrosion protector and rust inhibitor ever,,,,

backhoe1
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
What do you mean, It's not that cheap they're giving away free samples right here on this website. Don't get much cheaper than that.

jt5019
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I ordered two cans of fluid film online and one can wont even spray for me :hammerhead:

Dano50
01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
it's only the greatest corrosion protector and rust inhibitor ever,,,,

:weightlifter: Now that just makes me smile. :)

Dano50
01-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I ordered two cans of fluid film online and one can wont even spray for me :hammerhead:

PM me and we'll talk about the problem with your can. Thanks!

DUSTYCEDAR
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
i love it and it makes a big difference in fighting rust but i do keep it under lock so it dont walk

Breezmister
01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I got a can over the summer from here and it was great at preventing rust on newly sharpened blades that sit around. But how is it in the cold under 32 degrees ? Will it get thick and hinder free movement ?

cantoo
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
A Day in the Life of a can of Fluid Film.
Busted the drive shaft on my 3 point hitch snow blower, had to strip everything down to weld up the shaft Fluid Filmed all the bolts and nuts. Reassembled everything then Fluid Filmed the chute and turning brackets. Works great now.
Bought a smashed 4 wheeler. Disassembled the front end used Fluid Film for lube on the puller I made to straighten the A arms. Used Fluid Film to lube everything then reassembled what I could until new parts get here Tuesday.
Son worked on snowmobile with sticky throttle cable, again Fluid Filmed the cable. Works fine now. Nephew working on his dirt bike used my Fluid Film to lube his chain.
And now you know why I go thru so much Fluid Film.

bigmower1
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Did any of you people ever try Dura Lube? Its not too expensive and works great. Thats what I always used.

wanabe
01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I tried the free sample this fall, and I am not impressed. I cleaned all my concrete tools up for the winter and sprayed them with Fluid film. The other day I needed my tools again, and guesws what, solid rust! My garage stays somewhat damp, and it subject to temp changes as it is not heated or cooled. Ended up using scotch brite and WD40 to remove all the rust. What gives?