PDA

View Full Version : Bed Edging Question For New Guy

bigw
01-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Can someone tell me what is the correct way to edge a new flower bed from scratch,how deep etc..and what do you do about the grass in the bed area? do you use plastic?remove it? and what about edging sidewalks/drive ways at what depth do you edge those? I know i sound dumb but hey if i dont ask i wont know!!

capetrees
01-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Edging the new flower bed is up to you in terms of where the edge will be. Cut in the soil about 3 inches to get the grass roots cut. Anything in the beds gets pulled up or sprayed with roundup or similar. Keep the trench open and fill it with mulch to keep the roots from growing into the beds again or even better, try to install an edge material, steel edging, pt 1x4 or similar, to keep the grass out of the beds in the future. In terms of ongoing maintainance, pull the weeds up as best as you can, roundup the rest and apply mulch to ****** weeds from growing. Another material you can apply early and every three months after is a product called Preen. It prevents annual weeds from growing.

dave k
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
A good way on beds without seeing the existing beds is to rent a bed shaper from a rental shop or use a flat faced shovel, on the drive I use my stick edger and just go about 1/2" onto the ground, you could go deeper but it will wear out your blades faster, alot of people have success just using their string trimmer, I could never get the hang of it myself. Good luck young man.

bigw
01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys any other tips on making a new flower bed

capetrees
01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Good thick layer of loam with plenty of compost in it. Composted cow manure is ok as is peat moss but naturally composted compost, from a materials company, will give the beds a great base. And mound the beds slightly above the lawn level. This will allow for the beds to be seen from a distance. And of course, continuous color throughout the year with tall in the rear and shorter towards the front.

LAwnpro13
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Trench edge...only way to go. The bed edger runs a trench about 4" deep and 6" wide where ever you run the machine. It mounds the dirt up on the bed side of the trench, so it raises the bed up and makes elimanating the cut-out grass fairly easy. You can rent them at most rental companys for about $50 - $75 a day. Cost is worth ever dime. To buy a new one is between $1500 and $2200. Unless you are doing edging at least once a week, every week, rent as needed.

We did a time study this past summer (prior to buying the edger) doing it with a sidewalk edger / shovel and doing the exact same amount with a trench edger. the time ratio for the same work to the same specs, start to finish was the trench edger used 1/12th the amount of labor (hand edging 10 feet in a given time, trench bed edger 120 feet in the same amount of time). Now the bed edger was operated by the factory rep. shovels by my experienced laborers with exceptional quality and strong backs. I wrote the check for $2100 LOL

bigw
01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Trench edge...only way to go. The bed edger runs a trench about 4" deep and 6" wide where ever you run the machine. It mounds the dirt up on the bed side of the trench, so it raises the bed up and makes elimanating the cut-out grass fairly easy. You can rent them at most rental companys for about $50 - $75 a day. Cost is worth ever dime. To buy a new one is between $1500 and $2200. Unless you are doing edging at least once a week, every week, rent as needed.

We did a time study this past summer (prior to buying the edger) doing it with a sidewalk edger / shovel and doing the exact same amount with a trench edger. the time ratio for the same work to the same specs, start to finish was the trench edger used 1/12th the amount of labor (hand edging 10 feet in a given time, trench bed edger 120 feet in the same amount of time). Now the bed edger was operated by the factory rep. shovels by my experienced laborers with exceptional quality and strong backs. I wrote the check for $2100 LOL

you talking this

BeautifulBlooms
01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I will vouch for the brown manufacturing bed edger (also known as trenchmaster) as shown int he picture.

$2000-$2500 new
rentals if you can find one 60-$100 per day probably.

Buy one used if you can find one.

LAwnpro13
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Thats the one and only TRENCHMASTER, great machine, but costly. Projections are the one I bought in July 07 will have paid for it self by May of this year in labor savings. And the bonus is it REALLY makes a great looking, professional edge on beds.

EJD Lawnpride
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
We use that bed edger all the time. We just rent as needed. It does a really nice job. It gets tiring after a while though, especially when edging beds on hills. It really leaves a nice edge. You just have to watch for the belts becoming loose. It seems to be a problem with them.

LAwnpro13
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM
About every 8-10 hours of operation I have to pull the slack adjuster in just a little, seems to work haven't thrown a belt yet. Blew two off and up when I got a 4 inch tree root though:hammerhead:

Always have a spare set with me now:drinkup:

ed2hess
01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Just curious about how many sq. ft. will be in this bed?

bigw
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Just curious about how many sq. ft. will be in this bed?

if you are asking me i was just curious,im not actually doing one right now,just trying to learn.

ed2hess
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
if you are asking me i was just curious,im not actually doing one right now,just trying to learn.

Well most flower beds are small and could be done with less equipment than is discussed in the previous answers. You can use a trimmer to outline the bed and cut all the grass/debris down. Then it is easy to use a irrigation shovel of pick to scrap off the remaining stuff. Then break the soil with a spade and rake up remaining debris. Then use small Echo tiller to till up the bed and add in the soil ammendments.

STRINGALATION
01-03-2008, 12:23 AM
glad to see a noobie wants to do a natural edge. alot a whole lot of people here will just dump mulch and let it spill in the grass all year.. you still got your boys to the wall