PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Renovation

fordnut
01-01-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a lady in my church call me to cut her rye grass.While I was there she said she wanted me to plant her yard in bermuda this year.She tried centipede last year without much success, then she planted the rye this past fall. It's a real good stand of rye.I took a soil sample and sent it off.My question is what should I do with the dead rye grass when its time to plant? One more question, whats the best way to plant bermuda? I have Lesco renovator and a spreader -which one?...thanks

Tadams
01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
You can buy common bermuda at Home Depot or Lowes but it is not gonna be as good of quality as hybrid bermuda. Hybrid bermuda can only be installed in a yard in sod form. The seeds in hybrid bermuda are sterile and will not germinate and grow. That being said there are a couple of different ways that you can go. First need to find out if she wants hybrid sod or common seed. You can plant the seed when the soil temps start to warm up in the spring. The soil temps should be around 70 degrees for the seed to germinate. The rye grass will start to dye out in the spring about the same time the bermuda will start coming up. If she wants the sod you have a couple of more options. You can spray the area with a non-selective weed killer and wait about a week. Then you can till or use a harley rake to prep the soil. Then lay the sod. This is the best way to put down sod. However, bermuda sod is very aggressive and will grow through anything with it's very fast spreading stolons and rhiozomes. We have skipped the harley rake or tilling and laid the sod right on the dead grass. We have cut the grass very very short and then laid the sod right on top of the old grass. This isn't the best method but it is the cheapest and fastest and it does work.

allinearth
01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
There are some improved varieties of bermuda available in seed. They are not as fine bladed as the hybrids but much better than common. A seeded centipede lawn usually takes a year to finish under less than ideal conditions.

dave k
01-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Princess 77 is a hybred bermuda, it was used on the super bowl years ago, there are others as well.