PDA

View Full Version : How many yards in a 1 ton?

CNYScapes
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
How many yards of topsoil and stone do you guys haul in your 1 tons?

We have a 2006 chevy 3500 dump i have not put more than 4 yards topsoil or stone in it, that seems to be about all it will handle. And my 99 F550 dump will take about 5 yards. I know thats over weight but I dont have to worry about DOT around here.

I am just wondering how much weight you guys put in yours?

JB1
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
around 4 tons.

CNYScapes
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I am wondering how many yards, not tons. Thats how most people buy topsoil and stone around here when buying in small quantities.

PerfectEarth
01-01-2008, 11:06 PM
I put about +/- 4 yards of topsoil on my 550 dump.... And just because you don't have to worry about DOT does not mean you have a right to be overloaded and unsafe.

A yard of topsoil is 2,000-2,500 lbs.

AllanAustreim
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
two to two and a half yds is all I would put on a 1 ton. 1 ton trucks are the most abused trucks out there. Just because it will fit in the box doesn't mean it can handle it, you can cause excessive wear and tear hauling heavy loads with too small of a truck.

mag360
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I am wondering how many yards, not tons. Thats how most people buy topsoil and stone around here when buying in small quantities.

4yds of stone is about 6 tons. 1.5tons per yd.

LindblomRJ
01-02-2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.marenakos.com/How%20to/conversioncoverage.htm

Gravel Rat
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I have had 4 yards of wet topsoil on one of my 1 tons it was heavy as h*ll the truck was loaded. The topsoil was 2000lbs a yard because it was so saturated with water. My F-Superduty (F-450) I had 4.5 yards on it and the soil was even heavier definatly close to 9000lbs.

I won't haul what I used on a one ton truck I actually will never use a 1 ton truck again. Only F-450 and larger a 1 ton dump should be illegal to even use.

Noot Dogg
01-03-2008, 07:46 PM
We put on average 5 yds in our one one. The allison tranny handles it fine and then put a D-max behind that and you can haul anything. We have had dirt falling over the sides already and the truck kept going.

PROCUT1
01-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Its all fine until you have an accident and you get your butt sued off.

Gravel Rat
01-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Thats why I say I won't do what I did years ago today there is too many people out on the roads. Get in a accident then you will get some time in the grey bar hotel. You have to run legally loaded no overloads.

Noot Dogg
01-04-2008, 06:56 AM
That is why you register it just under CDL weight. Ours is registered at I think 14000#. That way we can haul alot. And as for accidents, I have been driving one ton dumps since I was 16 on the road and have never been in an accident. That would be 12 years leagally.

supercuts
01-04-2008, 08:26 AM
That is why you register it just under CDL weight. Ours is registered at I think 14000#. That way we can haul alot. And as for accidents, I have been driving one ton dumps since I was 16 on the road and have never been in an accident. That would be 12 years leagally.

wow, im scared, do you not get it?? 5yds of topsoil plus the weight of the truck is over 14k#. im scared with 5 in my f550. thats alot of weight. if you do get into an accident id hate to see what happens to you

AAXteriors
01-04-2008, 08:30 AM

It doesn't matter how long you have be driving it all depends on the idiot that cuts you off or pulls out in front of you and you cant stop. Just ask tthomass about the person that cut him off and he knows what he is doing.

Noot Dogg
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I cant help that GMC can hold more weight than a FORD can. I think that is something to say when a guy can say he has been driving for 12-14 years and say he has not been in a single accident. And 95% of his driving is in the work truck hauling something. But what do I know, I am just a young pup compaired to everyone else.:mad::mad:

Victor
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I cant help that GMC can hold more weight than a FORD can. I think that is something to say when a guy can say he has been driving for 12-14 years and say he has not been in a single accident. And 95% of his driving is in the work truck hauling something. But what do I know, I am just a young pup compaired to everyone else.:mad::mad:

That's great that you think you're truck can haul 5 yards man. What you need to understand is that YOUR opinion that your truck can handle that amount of weight doesn't matter at all. The DOT employees opinion who fines your pants off DOES matter. The state trooper's opinion DOES matter when he tickets you for loading your truck over it's GVW rating.

I know that YOU"RE impressed with how long you've been driving one-ton dumps, but do you think mentioning your experience with driving them will get any cop, or DOT inspector to cut you a break? Of course not. Just because you haven't had someone pull out in front of you, so close to you that you hit them, doesn't mean that it won't happen to you today, or tomorrow. You've got to look at the big picture man. If you don't, you're really asking for trouble. Just trying to help you see the light.

You can always fool other people, but you can't fool yourself. You know that I'm making good sense, whether you choose to admit it, or not. I'm telling you these things in an attempt to help you.

Noot Dogg
01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I am not going to disagree with you when you say some idiot could pull out in front of me, cause it is very true. And i will also agree with you and the whole cop thing. But as long as it is not over the bulk head or you have a tarp on it usally, and I say usally they wont mess with you. But, there is a chance they could. I guess that is a risk I am taking. I dont always run over loaded just once in a great purple moon. When people order topsoil I tell them it comes in a 4yd truck, every once in a while some one wants 5yds. Now instead od charging for 2 deliveries (depending on where they live) I will throw it all on and deliver it, within reason. So i do agree with you 100%. And as for me never in an accident, knock on wood i guess.

GravelyNut
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Its all fine until you have an accident and you get your butt sued off.

Yep! I'd bet that your legal limit would be more like 2 - 2.5 yards at most. 11,400 GVWR - 6600 lb truck = about 4800 lbs. Rock here is right at 1 to 1 so that gives you ~2.5 yards.

GravelyNut
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM

First off, if you are running overweight, you haven't been driving 12 years legally. Second, I do and have been driving a legal vehicle in the Class B range for over 30 years. And never have had an accident in one. Does that make me better than you, no. Just because of your time behind the wheel till now doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. If your state allows you to decide what the vehicle's GVWR is, then your state needs to change its laws to conform to Federal rules. The truck came from the factory with a rating, and that is what it should be registered at. If it is a Chevy 3500HD, as an example, then it isn't a 1 ton either. 14000lbs is not what determines whether it is required to have a CDL to operate. It is the use of the vehicle in most states plus being over 26001lbs GVWR. Or hauling a trailer that is rated for over 10K with a vehicle that is rated for 26001. Or hauling certain chemicals. Or any vehicle the Federal Gov't deems a commercial vehicle. Having the dump bed or a flatbed on it can also void your insurance, depending on the company, if you are not commercially insured for the truck.When the DOT guy sees the ins as commercial, he'll match it to the license too. Weigth over the 26000 total and bingo, CDL license Class B or better or a fine. Matters not what it is registered at. And you could also be fined for overweight.

Here's Florida's rule book for CDLs.
http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/cdl-handbook.pdf Most states have the same sort of setup.

Within a year mine will be from Ohio. Books are almost identical as they all follow the Federal law.
Ohio's is here: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/cdl.htm

Your states is here: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/docs/cdl-vol1.pdf

And some state concider any vehicle over 4 ton empty ( other than a bus ) as a Commercial Vehicle.

mattfromNY
01-04-2008, 03:10 PM
How many yards of topsoil and stone do you guys haul in your 1 tons?

We have a 2006 chevy 3500 dump i have not put more than 4 yards topsoil or stone in it, that seems to be about all it will handle. And my 99 F550 dump will take about 5 yards. I know thats over weight but I dont have to worry about DOT around here.

I am just wondering how much weight you guys put in yours?

I would have to disagree with you about the DOT. I am just south of you, near Cortland. This past fall a local guy was stopped pulling a mini ex. with his truck, he had it chained down and all, but the chains werent in the correct pattern (criss cross in front and rear, bucket/ boom chained seperately), $2600 in fines later he found out that you DO have to worry about the DOT around here. Just b/c you havent been stopped yet.... :hammerhead:
Just think to yourself 'What would I do if some jerk that was overloaded and couldn't stop ran over and killed my little girl, or my wife...'

Matt.

supercuts
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM

its not about holding more, my truck has bigger breaks, heavier duty tires 12ply, and stronger suspension. so, i think mine can haul more. what is scary is that you truely think its no biggie. if you ever got into an accident, even if they pull out infront of you, you could be screwed.

Gravel Rat
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
What the DOT looks at is the axle weights. You Chev 1 ton has a rear axle load capacity of 9000lbs if your over that weight when the DOT scales you let the overload fines fly. Front axle has a capacity of 4800lbs you overload the front axle more overload fines.

Sorry Noot Dog your clueless. What you are doing with a 1 ton is illegal and dangerous. Good luck to ya I hope you don't kill anybody. Maybe you should be reported to the DOT it may give you a eye opener :laugh:

Come to a area like mine where the braking power of the truck is just enough to stop the truck legally loaded at the manufacturers gvw. Decending a 10% grade with 4 tons in a 1 ton takes skill I have done it I won't do it again. With my F-450s 4 tons the truck is able to decend the hills controllably with the F-350s it was hand on the door handle ready to bail.

Get into residential driveways where the are even steeper than highway grades. Some places putting a manual transmission in first gear isn't low enough you freewheel down the driveway like the truck is in neutral.

Too many people on the roads today talking on cellphones or not paying attention or what ever. They have no idea where in the h*ll they are on the road. Cut you off or pull out infront of you or suddenly jam on the brakes. You try keep a buffer zone bettween you and the car in front of you and some frigging idiot pulls into the space.

If you have to jam on the brakes your done because your overloaded the braking capacity on the truck is far far maxed out. You just rear ended a car.

A another scenaro is you have some kid that darts out into the road in a residential neighbourhood you just made road kill because you couldn't stop with your overloaded 1 ton.

Last thing to say get a proper sized truck to haul the loads you want or get off the road simple as that.

SiteSolutions
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
That is why you register it just under CDL weight. Ours is registered at I think 14000#. That way we can haul alot.

Your truck weighs around 7,000 pounds empty, correct?

The GVWR of the truck, regardless of how big a plate you bought for it, is around 11,400 according to GM's numbers.

Add two yards of top soil at about 2500 pounds each, and at 12,000# you are already exceeding the GVWR of the vehicle.

4 yards is nuts. 5 yards unthinkable. Get a medium duty truck.

GravelyNut
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
What the DOT looks at is the axle weights. You Chev 1 ton has a rear axle load capacity of 9000lbs if your over that weight when the DOT scales you let the overload fines fly. Front axle has a capacity of 4800lbs you overload the front axle more overload fines.

Sorry Noot Dog your clueless. What you are doing with a 1 ton is illegal and dangerous. Good luck to ya I hope you don't kill anybody. Maybe you should be reported to the DOT it may give you a eye opener :laugh:

Come to a area like mine where the braking power of the truck is just enough to stop the truck legally loaded at the manufacturers gvw. Decending a 10% grade with 4 tons in a 1 ton takes skill I have done it I won't do it again. With my F-450s 4 tons the truck is able to decend the hills controllably with the F-350s it was hand on the door handle ready to bail.

Get into residential driveways where the are even steeper than highway grades. Some places putting a manual transmission in first gear isn't low enough you freewheel down the driveway like the truck is in neutral.

Too many people on the roads today talking on cellphones or not paying attention or what ever. They have no idea where in the h*ll they are on the road. Cut you off or pull out infront of you or suddenly jam on the brakes. You try keep a buffer zone bettween you and the car in front of you and some frigging idiot pulls into the space.

If you have to jam on the brakes your done because your overloaded the braking capacity on the truck is far far maxed out. You just rear ended a car.

A another scenaro is you have some kid that darts out into the road in a residential neighbourhood you just made road kill because you couldn't stop with your overloaded 1 ton.

Last thing to say get a proper sized truck to haul the loads you want or get off the road simple as that.

Exactly.

Not knowing the year of his, I checked mine. 11,400 GVWR, front 4670, rear 8550, CVWR is 21500 for a 2001 3500 dually. A 3500HD cab and chassis is only rated for a little more .

Here's the data from GMC on the 2007 3500HD pickup:

WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES (pounds unless otherwise noted)
Regular Cab Extended Cab Crew Cab
Long Box Long Box Long Box
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), lbs. (2WD, single rear wheels) 9700 9900 9900
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), lbs. (4WD, single rear wheels) 9900 9900 9900
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR), lbs. (2WD, dual rear wheels) 11400 11400
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), lbs. (4WD, dual rear wheels) 11400 11400 11400
Curb weight, lbs. (2WD, single rear wheels) 5092 5623 6045
Curb weight , lbs. (4WD, single rear wheels) 5937 6271 6436
Curb weight , lbs. (2WD, dual rear wheels) 6273 6421
Curb weight, lbs. (4WD, dual rear wheels) 6093 6537 6694
Max Payload, lbs. (2WD, single rear wheels) 4608 4277 3855
Max Payload , lbs. (4WD, single rear wheels) 3963 3629 3464
Max Payload, lbs. (2WD, dual rear wheels) 5127 4979
Max Payload , lbs. (4WD, dual rear wheels) 5307 4863 4706

hosejockey2002
01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I think our young friend here may be embellishing a little bit on what he is hauling. 5 honest yards of topsoil will weigh 10-13,000 lbs. This would give him a truck weight of 18-21,000 lbs. That severe of an overload would most likely break something. 5 yards of mulch, OK. 5 yards of topsoil, no way. I once hauled 10 yards of damp topsoil in a tandem Kenworth dump truck and I was grossing almost 48,000, meaning that topsoil weighed over 26,000 lbs.

SiteSolutions
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe he is thinking 5 scoops? With a 1/3 yd bucket?

capetrees
01-04-2008, 06:57 PM
There is no such thing as a truck that is factory built to handle the load the body can carry. Every 1 ton can take more than the GVWR and guys do it. 6 wheel dumps rated for 33K are all overloaded to around 38-40K. Ten wheelers are always overweight and trailers too UNLESS you're hauling by the ton and delivering by the ton. Delivery by the yard and hauling by the yard will always make a driver put more in the truck in order to make more. Sounds bad but thats the way it is. If everybody in here drove their trucks legally, their rates would be much higher to cover the fuel and driver wages. And the DOT cops can't pull everybody over so the chances are taken.

Gravel Rat
01-05-2008, 04:47 AM
A tandem axle dump you can overload a little a single axle 5 ton you can't. A single axle dump runs out of braking power quickly. A 1 ton is no different. The newer 1 ton dually cab and chassis are a little better being 4 wheel disk brakes but the older trucks with rear drum brakes are horrible.

A regular 1 ton your still dealing with 16 inch or 17 inch rubber it does the job but definatly no comparision to 19.5 rubber. Chevy usually uses a 225/75R16 tire which no way is designed for gvw heavier than 12,000lbs.

The only truck with 16 inch wheels that could handle the weight is the old Ford "F-Superduty" they were the first version of the F-450 they have a gvw of 15,000lbs. The big drawback of them is the 16 inch rubber it doesn't last long on those trucks. You had to run the best tires you could get.

I had 3 F-Superduty trucks they hauled good loads. If I could have found a 97 with a 161wb PSD 5spd with 100,000kms I would buy one.

I read somewhere that now that Chev/GMC sold the medium duty truck line to Cornbinder GM is going to make a 3500HD again with 19.5 wheels like the previous 3500HD that they built before they started the 4500-5500.

GravelyNut
01-05-2008, 09:45 AM
A tandem axle dump you can overload a little a single axle 5 ton you can't. A single axle dump runs out of braking power quickly. A 1 ton is no different. The newer 1 ton dually cab and chassis are a little better being 4 wheel disk brakes but the older trucks with rear drum brakes are horrible.

A regular 1 ton your still dealing with 16 inch or 17 inch rubber it does the job but definatly no comparision to 19.5 rubber. Chevy usually uses a 225/75R16 tire which no way is designed for gvw heavier than 12,000lbs.

The only truck with 16 inch wheels that could handle the weight is the old Ford "F-Superduty" they were the first version of the F-450 they have a gvw of 15,000lbs. The big drawback of them is the 16 inch rubber it doesn't last long on those trucks. You had to run the best tires you could get.

I had 3 F-Superduty trucks they hauled good loads. If I could have found a 97 with a 161wb PSD 5spd with 100,000kms I would buy one.

I read somewhere that now that Chev/GMC sold the medium duty truck line to Cornbinder GM is going to make a 3500HD again with 19.5 wheels like the previous 3500HD that they built before they started the 4500-5500.

The truck of mine came with LT215/85R-16 Wrangler Badyears. Badyears because after 1 year the would go out of round. Dealer replaced 4 under warranty. Now running the Firestone Transforce LT215/85R-16's and don't seem to have the same problems. And cost about half of what the Wranglers cost.

BrandonV
01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I remember in college I took a metal fab class just for fun and drove my then truck to the shop one day, I had a then new F550 and some redneck that I'm sure didn't finish got into an argument w/ me that his 2500 chevy could out tow mine... well it was a one way argument really, I told him that in all likelihood he probably could pull close to what mine would, probably couldn't stop it but hey who cares about stopping power

SpruceLandscape
01-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I think that maybe this thread took a turn for the worst...
To answer the question of VOLUME rather than weight... it would depend on the size of the dump bed on the chassis. obviously a 8' dump body won't hold close to what a 11' or 12' will. If you have sides on your dump body, you should be able to get (volume wise) anywhere from 8-12 yards of material depending on the length and the height of the sides. If you have a dump body already and are trying to determine how much it will hold completely boxed up and filled to the brim, just multiply the length in feet, times the height in feet, times the width. Then divide that by 27 (how many cubic feet in a yard) and you will have your answer.

mrsops
01-05-2008, 01:13 PM
i have a ford f-750 the bed is 14 feet long the height from standing inside the bed is about 4 feet and the width is like 7 i fit 11 yards of mulch in there now thats mulch. the truck is rated only for 26,000. top soil or gravel i can get about 6 7 yards with out being over weight. plus the bed is aluminium so its lighter

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-05-2008, 02:19 PM
anytime i have to get topsoil, i ask em to go 3 yards light which is depending on the moisture of the soil around 3 tons, I never put more than that in our truck, drum brakes SUCK! mulch, around 5-6 yards is all i can fit and that seems about

topsoil 1 yard ~ 1 ton
mulch 1 yard ~ .5 tons

GravelyNut
01-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I remember in college I took a metal fab class just for fun and drove my then truck to the shop one day, I had a then new F550 and some redneck that I'm sure didn't finish got into an argument w/ me that his 2500 chevy could out tow mine... well it was a one way argument really, I told him that in all likelihood he probably could pull close to what mine would, probably couldn't stop it but hey who cares about stopping power

The only times a driver of an overloaded truck worries about it is when an 18 wheeler pulls out in front of them. And then it's too late. Or if they have any kind of accident and the guy shows up with the scales. Or when The Man pulls him over for a check. I see trucks getting stopped just about every day. Florida Comm Vehicle Troopers are out every day down here. And on a slow day, they pull 3500's too. Even more so the ones with trailers in tow. And guess who got weighed at a weigh station even with an empty open trailer. Semi got to roll thru, but I had to stop and get weighed.

Victor
01-05-2008, 03:10 PM
It sounds like they must have been slow that day to give you such a hard time.

AceFinish
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Leaglly you should be hauling between 3-5 yards depending on the moisture content of the soil or stone you are hauling. But if you feel comfortable driving a a truck that is overweight and feel that you can do it in a safe manner load it as heavy as you want. I feel comfortable running overweight cops really don't bother us in our area and I feel that I can safely handle our trucks with a large amount of weight on them.

SiteSolutions
01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your feelings.

casco73
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Man your pretty sure of your self its that cocky attitude that really hurts people you better knock on would or the the road gremlins will sneak up on you and take away that perfect non accident driving record. the best of drivers in the world have had accidents and most accidents are from someones stupid mistake but you won't have to worry your a perfect driver.
:dizzy:

KTM
01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I just got done reading this entire thread, I can't belive what some of you say that you haul in 1 ton dumps. We own a subdivision and sell the topsoil that is extra from the roads and lots. We have a Chevy Kodiak 26,000 GVWR truck and load it with a Case 721 loader with a 3 yard bucket 2 scoops in the truck. I could not imagine hauling more than that with that truck. 5 yards in a one ton? I dont think alot of people know what a yard is.

capetrees
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
It's like I posted earlier. If you haul for yourself and haul by the yard or ton, you'll put as much as you can into the truck to make the money. Employees that haul and are paid by the hour don't need to overload the trucks. But you can bet the owners wish they could put more in to make the trips worth more..

capetrees
01-07-2008, 11:05 PM
For instance, my 1 ton, with sides built up and enclosed to make a bigger box, can hold nearly 10 yards of wood chips. The weight I don't know. My 6 wheel Mack rated for 34K usually is loaded with 10 yards of material. Sometimes I will go light on the materials I know are heavy like clay or wet loam. But 10 yards of anything is 20K anyway and then the weight of the truck is 16.8K. Almost always overloaded, not that I haul that often. But if I did it according to GVWR stictly, I can only carry about 8 yards max. That kills a guy on fuel. Sorry, but thats the biz where I am.

KTM
01-07-2008, 11:28 PM
When you haul 20k on your tandem Mack you are 3k overweight, on a tandem that is not that bad since the GVWR seems light for a truck like that, but 5 yards on a 1 ton dump truck? that is way to overloaded

blackoakstone
01-08-2008, 01:51 AM
We run a couple of C30 1 tons. The dump (14 ft. bed) handles about 3 yards topsoil with good braking. We haul 4 tons on stone loads. The flatbed (8 ft. bed) easily hauls 3 tons of stone straight up and downhill.

I also have a C60 single axle dump. The first trip I took to the quarry, the guys overloaded me with 7 yards. Thought they were helping me out. Ridiculous. No brakes. Flat tire. Timing thrown out (way out) of whack. Plus it sounded like someone was shooting a shotgun from one muffler and someone else shooting a 9mm from the other. Had no idea the seriousness of the situation until I was on the highway. Required a roadside call. Very lucky I didn't have much traffic. Not good to overload your truck. Scary to think that people out there are running so much over the legal limit while I have family on the same road...

Please be careful for your own sake.

Noot Dogg
01-08-2008, 03:55 AM
I am sorry I ever started in this thread. People, Give it up, Every man for themselves. If I want to haul 20 yds in a one ton, than so be it. If I think I can handle it then so be it, but if I get caught then it is my ass going to the slammer!!! So can we drop it and talk about some thing else??

JB1
01-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I am sorry I ever started in this thread. People, Give it up, Every man for themselves. If I want to haul 20 yds in a one ton, than so be it. If I think I can handle it then so be it, but if I get caught then it is my ass going to the slammer!!! So can we drop it and talk about some thing else??

Give'm hell Noot. Remember don't argue with boy scouts.

Noot Dogg
01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Well it's the truth. They sit there and go from fact to fact. Just give it up. Not everyone is perfect like those guys I guess. But what do I know I am just a little 28 year olds punk that doesn't know my ass from a hole in the ground!!!!!

supercuts
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
are we really still arguing over this??

Victor
01-08-2008, 08:47 PM

The whole point we're trying to make to you Noot, is that it's not just YOUR butt you're putting in harm's way when you choose to grotesquely overload your truck like that. Anyone who's sharing the road with you is also in danger because of you overloading your truck. You could harm THEM. You could kill THEM.
If it was only you that was at risk, I don't you'd see nearly as many responses as you've seen. I don't care how long you've been driving one-ton trucks. There's only so much you'll be able to do to control your truck if you blow a tire at the wrong time, or if a spring perch breaks because of being overloaded. If you're on too steep of a hill, you could liquify your brakes and be unable to stop. I just hope someone else doesn't pay a huge price, because of you refusing to do the right thing.
Good luck to you and here's to hoping you make the right choice.

barefeetny
01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
i had a 78 chevy one ton, big block, 4 speed with a newer stlye 8'dump body.

8400 pounds unloaded with two full tanks of fuel

the local quarry loader an I had a discussion once about not overloading me

we both worked in tons.

one day he was not at work and I held up four fingers and pointed to the sandy loam pile. local delivery less then 1 mile from the plant.

the new loader driver shook his head no and held up 2 fingers

i responded with 1 finger and then 4

he dropped 4 yards of damp sandy loam into the back of the truck

it was the only time the helper spring ever bottommed out on the rubber

pulling out of their i was highly out of compliance and i gave a twenty one gun salute thrugh the tailpipe trying to hold the truck in gear.

this was after i took off 1 board and shoveled alot off

just not worth it...

if you need that much let them deliver a triaxle

or make two trips

Nate

Noot Dogg
01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
This is BS in here, you people don't know how to read?? What do you want me to say?? I am done talking about this stupid thread. I said I don't do it all the time and I know that there are other people on the road that could be injured or killed if one of the worst case scenario's would happen. So enough is enough lets drop it now!!!!! I hope you all can understand that now.

naughty62
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Check vehicle tag for gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) .Thats the max weight allowed including the cargo.(gvw) factory weight,usually dry (no fuel).Some of the Manufacters include frnt axle weight rating and rear .Most 3500 series ,one ton duallies can not haul much over 4-6k #.dont skimp on tires Get a high weigh rated tire.The d.o.t. can weigh each tire or set , each axle or whole vehicle.They usually pay special attenton to the steerig axle.Most of the time it pays to haul our own materials even if We have put a guy in truck all day .dont know about the F550

Tom B.
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Have any of you guys excessively overloading 1 tons checked your ball joints lately?

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Chevs are worse for ball joints with a A arm suspension the weight of the truck the steering and all the movement there is allot of stress on 4 ball joints. On a Ford 2wd the balljoints are more stable because of the twin I beam same with a 4x4.

Chevy has one of the worst front end suspensions for a 1 ton truck 2wd or 4wd. It is a smooth ride but you have so many moving parts to break or wear out. All it takes on a Chevy is one worn ball joint to pop and you loose control and crash.

It is amazing how some people like Noot Dogg thinks its okay to haul loads in his 1 ton that grossly overload the truck. I can't see why you have the CDL rule in the states.

Victor
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
This is BS in here, you people don't know how to read?? What do you want me to say?? I am done talking about this stupid thread. I said I don't do it all the time and I know that there are other people on the road that could be injured or killed if one of the worst case scenario's would happen. So enough is enough lets drop it now!!!!! I hope you all can understand that now.

How many times would you have to play hop scotch in freeway traffic to be risking death? We do get it Noot. The fact that you KNOW you could kill someone, but still do it doesn't make the situation more acceptable man. The fact that you don't do it all the time doesn't mean that it's ok either. The fact that you do it at all is the problem man. Doing it at all is as dumb as dumb can be.

GravelyNut
01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Chevs are worse for ball joints with a A arm suspension the weight of the truck the steering and all the movement there is allot of stress on 4 ball joints. On a Ford 2wd the balljoints are more stable because of the twin I beam same with a 4x4.

Chevy has one of the worst front end suspensions for a 1 ton truck 2wd or 4wd. It is a smooth ride but you have so many moving parts to break or wear out. All it takes on a Chevy is one worn ball joint to pop and you loose control and crash.

It is amazing how some people like Noot Dogg thinks its okay to haul loads in his 1 ton that grossly overload the truck. I can't see why you have the CDL rule in the states.
Now how often have the ford drivers checked their bushings on their suspensions. They wear too and can fold right back. Seen it happen. I see your point in checking ball joints but that also applies to all suspension parts on all makes. And Yes, I've seen a 1ton Dodge lose its ball joints too. It was lucky that it happened in a low speed turn. And had no load on it at the time.

Key point is, keep it legal and they will last longer. One of the first things that gets checked when a vehicle hauling a load is involved in an accident is, what it weighed VS it GCWR or GVWR.

AceFinish
01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
How many times would you have to play hop scotch in freeway traffic to be risking death? We do get it Noot. The fact that you KNOW you could kill someone, but still do it doesn't make the situation more acceptable man. The fact that you don't do it all the time doesn't mean that it's ok either. The fact that you do it at all is the problem man. Doing it at all is as dumb as dumb can be.

Look you guys all need to chill out we all know that running overload can be unsafe but you can be overload and be safe if you have the ball and the brains to do it with. Look let's quit fighting like little school girls. We have all ran overloaded by a little or by a lot because if you have not done then your not making money and you know as well I know that is the truth. And the guys who say they never have that is BS and you know it. We are not trying to be unsafe or show how big we by doing that were trying to put food on our table in econmical way by not taking food off somebody else table by charging sky high delivery.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 07:40 PM
It all depends on the DOT officer investigating the accident if you were overloaded or not. If your truck is tagged (licensed) for more weight than what the manufacturers gvw is and you get in a accident and you have a 1 ton tagged for 14,000lbs and its actual gvw is only 12,000lbs your "technically" overloaded by 2000lbs. As I said it all depends on the DOT officer if they go by the manufactures rating or the tagged rating.

What the DOT will really look at is the manufactures axle ratings (GAWR). If the vehical was overloaded on either two axles or both axles you are still in deep chit. DOT doesn't care if you beefed the suspension up with air bags or extra springs it didn't come from the factory that way. Another thing the DOT is going to look at is brakes and did the truck have the braking power.

Here in Canada the reglations changed a few years ago to any truck with a gvw greater than 11,000lbs you need a NSC (motorcarrier plate). That means you have to abide by all the DOT rules. So if you get caught with overloads etc you can and will be put through the ringer. You get enough points against your NSC number you loose it and get it back after 6 months or a year or never. Once you loose your National Safety code (NSC) number you can't owner/operate a truck heavier than 11,000lbs. You can own a 1 ton but it can't be used for work.

As for the balljoints on a Chev 2-4wd and Dodge 2wd 1 tons you pop a balljoint the spindle falls over the wheel flops around and your out of control.

With a 2wd you have a coil spring with pressure on it once a balljoint lets go the spring spreads the A arms apart and instantly the wheel starts flopping around.

With a Ford 2wd and 4wd and Dodge 4wd you have to pretty much sheer off a ball joint before you loose control. You have a C knuckle the weight of the truck rides mostly on the bottom balljoint the top one keeps the wheel in the proper upright position.

capetrees
01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Suddenly EVERYBODY is a saint onthe roads.

Pleeeeeeze!:rolleyes:

GravelyNut
01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
It all depends on the DOT officer investigating the accident if you were overloaded or not. If your truck is tagged (licensed) for more weight than what the manufacturers gvw is and you get in a accident and you have a 1 ton tagged for 14,000lbs and its actual gvw is only 12,000lbs your "technically" overloaded by 2000lbs. As I said it all depends on the DOT officer if they go by the manufactures rating or the tagged rating.

What the DOT will really look at is the manufactures axle ratings (GAWR). If the vehical was overloaded on either two axles or both axles you are still in deep chit. DOT doesn't care if you beefed the suspension up with air bags or extra springs it didn't come from the factory that way. Another thing the DOT is going to look at is brakes and did the truck have the braking power.

Here in Canada the reglations changed a few years ago to any truck with a gvw greater than 11,000lbs you need a NSC (motorcarrier plate). That means you have to abide by all the DOT rules. So if you get caught with overloads etc you can and will be put through the ringer. You get enough points against your NSC number you loose it and get it back after 6 months or a year or never. Once you loose your National Safety code (NSC) number you can't owner/operate a truck heavier than 11,000lbs. You can own a 1 ton but it can't be used for work.

As for the balljoints on a Chev 2-4wd and Dodge 2wd 1 tons you pop a balljoint the spindle falls over the wheel flops around and your out of control.

With a 2wd you have a coil spring with pressure on it once a balljoint lets go the spring spreads the A arms apart and instantly the wheel starts flopping around.

With a Ford 2wd and 4wd and Dodge 4wd you have to pretty much sheer off a ball joint before you loose control. You have a C knuckle the weight of the truck rides mostly on the bottom balljoint the top one keeps the wheel in the proper upright position.

Point of interest, there are no coil springs on my 1 ton, 2WD Chevy dually suspension. Only thing the upper A-arm does is keeps the spindle from tilting in or out too much. Not a load carrying unit. Shocks, sway bars, torsion rods, and arms ( on the front so you can't call them trailing arms like on a Ford ) are all on the bottom A-arms.

GravelyNut
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
And GravelRat:
An annual safety inspection is required:

1. on a truck, which does not tow a trailer if:
* the truck's actual weight, registered gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating exceeds 4,500 kilograms (9,920 lbs).
OUCH!!!! Now what does it cost to get it done?

bishoplandscape
01-10-2008, 02:16 AM
5 yds in a 1 ton id like to see that send us a picture next time. I think legal here would be 2 maybe 2.5 but who cares whats legal. I know the DOT here in Michigan would red tag that truck so fast and the fine would be insane. Here they can charge you up to 2.00 a pound. Topsoil here is about 2600lbs per yd. Two yds over weight would bring a fine over 10,000 good luck to you who run that heavy but i like the house i live in.

barefeetny
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
i blame the manufactuers

they all show trucks doing things they never should be doing to sell them

i remember them dropping a load of rock into the back of a chevy dually from like 12 foot up and then hopping it over a washboard road

seen fords stopping airplanes

and the tundra commericaials awsome in case i ever need to yank a shipping container up a cliff

if joe camel made kids smoke then the manufactuers make people do dumb things with their trucks.lol

i did flat tow a 1969 f700 fully loaded about 200 yards off the road to a service station with a s10 pickup... even in 2 wheel drive low range that would have made a great commercial.

in all seriousness allthough we may all know right from wrong and make our choices, there is probably at least 1 new driver who will have to make that choice.

now he has some info to make it...