PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter for Kohler cv15?

LawnTamer
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi all,
I have a Kohler command CV15 that I bought on line to replace a motor on a mower. Can anyone tell me which Kohler oil filter it requires. I even looked up the owners/service manual pdf from Kohler, it has all the specs EXCEPT which filter to use. GRRRRR.
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Restrorob
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Kohler part# 52 050 02.....

LawnTamer
01-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Thank You Restrorob,
I was hoping to get the answer from you.

:waving:

AmsoilPower
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi all,
I have a Kohler command CV15 that I bought on line to replace a motor on a mower. Can anyone tell me which Kohler oil filter it requires. I even looked up the owners/service manual pdf from Kohler, it has all the specs EXCEPT which filter to use. GRRRRR.
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

The short version is 12 050 01 if space constrictions are a concern.

Bill Kapaun
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Check this link-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=180462&highlight=filter

I posted a list of alternative brands if you want to save a few $

ed2hess
01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Check this link-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=180462&highlight=filter

I posted a list of alternative brands if you want to save a few $

I am noticing that some of these filters are indicating they have an anti-drain back device and that would seem very important. Is that a Kaw thing only or do the Kohler have that on all their engines?

Bill Kapaun
01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Who DOESN'T use an Anti Drain Back Valve? That's the rubber thing under the small (inlet) holes. (better ones are Silicone rubber, which is typically orange, vs Nitrile rubber which is black)
Are you sure you aren't confused with the Pressure Bypass Valve? About the only automotive type filters that don't require that are (in at least some) GM, which have that in the block. There "may" be some others??

ed2hess
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Who DOESN'T use an Anti Drain Back Valve? That's the rubber thing under the small (inlet) holes. (better ones are Silicone rubber, which is typically orange, vs Nitrile rubber which is black)
Are you sure you aren't confused with the Pressure Bypass Valve? About the only automotive type filters that don't require that are (in at least some) GM, which have that in the block. There "may" be some others??

I am talking about small engine filters only....I noticed that Napa gold shows thta silicone rubber device which is their anti drain back device. I assume that keeps the filter from draining back in the crankcase when engine is shut off. The Fran filters don't have an indication on box if they have one or not....bases on what you said above I can pretty much assume all filters have these device including the ones you get from JD Thomas?

Bill Kapaun
01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
"I am talking about small engine filters only...:

Many of these filters also are used in an automotive application. The WIX 51348 is used in a LOT of cars.