PDA

View Full Version : KSSS: Some of my stuff/jobs

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:35 PM
I am still working on the resizing picture does not look right but hey I am expanding my limited computer abilities. The picture with the cabin was a job where the material from behind the cabin had to be removed and laid out in the front which was a sheer drop. Nothing technical, I wish I would have taken pictures of it when I was done. It was pretty cool. The bank was stepped down. Moved a lot of dirt.

The other was a big foundation we dug last year. The project is still on going. I will get some pictures of it. This year we dug for the gym, and the garage (2700 square feet), this Spring will be the Pool house. I have no idea how big that will be.

qps
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
yikes...thats a lot of dirt moving....what did they use to hold the wall up behind the cabin????

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
These are from the backhoe rodeo this year. Notice the fanboy T-shirt that way cool operator is wearing.:weightlifter:

qps
01-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Nice looking country side also...love the blues and looks like norway spruce's

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:47 PM
That hill was stepped back. This Spring when the snow is gone we have some more work to do and I will take more pictures. I have no idea how many Ks of dirt I moved but it was a lot. The trees you see on the hill were removed and the step process completed.

qps
01-01-2008, 11:47 PM
must have free t-shirt day:cool2:

ksss
01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
These are pictures from across the way from the cabin. It is very pretty there.

ksss
01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Here is the road leading up to the cabin and one of a big red tractor at one of the farms in the area.

bobcat_ron
01-02-2008, 12:02 AM
oooooh baby, I love these threads!!!!!!

ksss
01-02-2008, 12:16 AM
I have posted these before. One is on the ski hill in Montana and the other is of my 9020B, which is getting a face lift this Winter. The rather bare picture was a before photo of a house site on the ski hill from two years ago. There was 25' of fall in the foot print of the house. There was 15' of fall in the house with the equipment on it. Gives you a whole new appreciate to being able to dig a foundation on flat ground.

ksss
01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
must have free t-shirt day:cool2:

Actually I did get two free T shirts that day but that one I actually came with. It was also the first time I had ever run a 4 stick hoe. I did well on that one ironically enough.

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Good job,now if we can just get "Rock" to get off his rear and post something!!!!!!!

Speaking of rocks you sure have a lot of those nice round ones!

I like the way they posted the>>>>>>>>>" Heres your sign,just nail it to a tree" no use digging a hole and setting a post when you can use a tree.Right!:usflag:

Tigerotor77W
01-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Wow -- pictures of Kaiser's operations! This is incredible!

ksss
01-02-2008, 12:44 AM
You know I never gave that much thought until you mentioned it. Not very "green" is it. Funny some Tree hugger didn't tear it down and put some tar on the tree.

qps
01-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Wow -- pictures of Kaiser's operations! This is incredible!

I think we shamed him into it....nick stuff and nice work shane, it's always nice to see hard work pay off for the guys who are willing to work for it...:weightlifter:

qps
01-02-2008, 01:02 AM
That is some beautiful views....I'd moved from the city in a heart beat and just look off my back porch all day..

qps
01-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Actually I did get two free T shirts that day but that one I actually came with. It was also the first time I had ever run a 4 stick hoe. I did well on that one ironically enough.

I tried to run a four stick hoe one time....it was ugly...:cry:

qps
01-02-2008, 01:11 AM
The 9020 looks good, and I remember you got a decent price on it..with some of those bigger jobs have you ever considered a dozer???

ksss
01-02-2008, 01:17 AM
At times I have but you don't see a lot of dozers at work here. There are a few but not many. Unless I found a smokin deal I doubt I would buy one. The excavator was a great deal (20K) I did have to put a new turbo on it and some other repairs. It was like 4K if I remember right. It is nice to have that capability when I need it and not have to dig 3 holes a week to make a payment on a new one.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 01:41 AM
OK, OK, OK.......since we have 6 storms coming in the next 14 days and it is 9 degrees here, I guess I will try and figure out how to post some pics.........anything to stay out of the cold.....if that doesn't work maybe I will call my psychic advisor in Idaho and see if he will give me quick fix on posting pics assuming he is not pushing snow....

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Lets see if these show up....kind-of a before and after kinda thing....

ksss
01-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Very nice wall. It is obvious that you took a great deal of time selecting rocks that fit together and not just stacked whatever was in reach.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 02:05 AM
back yard patio.......can't see the basketball court we put in below....

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 02:12 AM
here's me in my brand new skid.....I had the strangest feeling.......I felt just like a little kid......the feeling soon wore off and I am back to my regular self....

ksss
01-02-2008, 02:18 AM
:here's me in my brand new skid.....I had the strangest feeling.......I felt just like a little kid......the feeling soon wore off and I am back to my regular self....

But do you still wear a dress?

Commmmon Curt telll us the truth. I wont tell a soul (outside of Idaho or Utah).:clapping:

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Nah, this was at a job site......woman/mother came running out and could not find her little 3 year old child. We looked all over the yard and then finally looked inside the skid steer, and there she was as happy as could be........it could have been a real disaster, but as luck would have it, it just turned into a photo op.

Scag48
01-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Good looking wall, RSG.

qps
01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
That's about how I felt sitting in the gehl I demoed earlier this year:laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Here's an old shot of my little rig....

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 02:35 AM
Here's a shot from my horse pens to the house with the Wasatch Mtns to the east. My better half with one of the critters

ksss
01-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Nice spread Curt.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Here's a pic of my 20 yr. old horse...had him since he was 1 1/2. Traveled all over the western half of the US with him. Cowboyed for a year on him in Arizona, me and him lived together for another year traveling Colorado, Wyoming, Nevada and finally Utah.......he's just a big dog to me....

dozerman21
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Nice pics guys. Sure do love those views... we're pretty flat around here.

RSG- What engine/trans do you have in your dump? How does it do pulling through the mountains?

qps
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Nice pics guys. Sure do love those views... we're pretty flat around here.

RSG- What engine/trans do you have in your dump? How does it do pulling through the mountains?

Hey...why aren't you at work...

GradeMan
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Love the pics guys, Love your yard rsg! What kind of hoe is that? It must be 7 tons? Do you use that hoe pack much? Good thread

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
250 hp in that intertrashional. can't remember the rear end, will look it up, but yea....it pulls my 18,000 plus machine just fine. Put an engine brake on the truck to help with the down hill, and that is pretty spiffy. Don't use the hoe pack as much as I would like, but it is a dandy.....full 360 degree rotation in the head or you can lock it into any position you like. Grade man.......all my stickers get ripped off on all my equipment as soon as I get a piece and I put my logo's on (which you can't see from the pics). That's an old Gehl 802, I believe a year 2000.........almost rebuilt the entire machine. By the end of this winter, only thing not rebuilt or replaced will be engine, main frame, cab.......and of course the driver. I have another barn to the south where I keep other stuff......

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I can't beleive it !!!!!!!! I went to bed early last night this thread was only on page 1,now when i check in it's on page 4.

Great job guys ,about time you got in the real world ! or is it dream world.Looks real to be,but what do i know????

Amazing how much the terrain changes from state to state.That why what works for on guy,doesn't for others.

Dozerman can relate to this one,here's why! Rocks to muddy!:dancing::usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Constructo.......you hit the nail on the head with the different country/equipment thing and that is what makes this site so awesome. We can share what is working or not working for us and learn. See what happens when you sleep Constructo, I felt so ashamed at not posting any pics I couldn't sleep........so I finally bit the bullet and did it. It is amazing to me how stress manifest's itself......when I am busy, I am happy.......with winter slow down I get really uptight.....

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I relate to the "I'm working i'm happy thing " for me it is the same.For most part i love what i do,with that said there are days.

Just think this year is leap year,your have one more day to work!

See posting picture wasn't that hard,really was it? Now thats one more thing you can say!!!! " Hy ! I can do that:cool2:"

By the way nice setup.Hard work does pay off,plus same amount of luck also.You younger guys take note.

An for you that are starting or trying to get started and for us older guys i say just stay around and see what happens another year.Good luck for 2008:usflag:

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Here is a picture of one of my trucks using the Windows Paint resizer that SiteSolutions talked about on the other thread.

Thanks for the telling and showing us or at least for me.It works pretty smooth and was easy for me and a lot better then then what i had to use before.

Awesome what you can learn and see from this forum and others.Never to old to learn or teach and "old dog tricks" if they are willing to learn them.Again thanks SS your "D'A Man" for the day!!!!!!!:usflag:

AWJ Services
01-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Here is a really easy pic resizer for free.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Great pictures guys.

dozerman21
01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I can't beleive it !!!!!!!! I went to bed early last night this thread was only on page 1,now when i check in it's on page 4.

Great job guys ,about time you got in the real world ! or is it dream world.Looks real to be,but what do i know????

Amazing how much the terrain changes from state to state.That why what works for on guy,doesn't for others.

Dozerman can relate to this one,here's why! Rocks to muddy!:dancing::usflag:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that hole that KSSS dug... tons of rocks. I feel your pain about the muck in those pics. This good 'ol midwestern tilled up dirt seems to really hold the moisture. I was going to take a picture of my tracks after a job last week when they were caked with mud, but I didn't have my camera with me.

I'm sure you have it a lot worse cleaning out your D6 U/C, hopefully the high track helps some. What kind of work were you doing in those pics?

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I was building a farmable terrace with a dropdown tile rise.The orange thing(riser) drain for the erosion terrace.

Finished product,from muddy to camouflaged mud !!!!!:laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I threw in a pic of my place as it is now....when I moved here 10 years ago it was a mud field kinda like what Constructo showed with his dozer. I built everything on this place except the green barn and log cabin......when I say everything, that means everything from trees, to grading, pipe fence, 1 mile of underground secondary waterline, electrical, planting of lawn and yada-yada...I will see if I can find a "before" pic and post that too....

talus
01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Any pics of the topkick crew cab KSSS?

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Ksss......and no, not into wearing dresses........not even pink ones. Don't think I would like the way the exposure would feel. Hey, was looking at the 9020 and looked at the hoses from the boom to the stick. Do those hoses have hose wraps on them? Alot of rubbing going on there........just a passing thought like a fa*t in the wind.

AWJ Services
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Those are some nice rocks in that wall.
They would cost a small fortune here in GA.

Both of you take such good care of your equipment.
Kudos!

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
AWJ.....I am a firm believer (for the market that I am pursuing) in balancing "actual" value and "perceived" value. Most homeowners don't know squat about breakout force or one machine size from another. What they (homeowners) do notice is what your equipment looks like and if you spew hydraulic oil/truck oil all over their driveways or working area. By keeping my equipment clean I believe it gives off a sense of professionalism and leaves the homeowner with a better feeling of confidence in having me at their residence. Commercial is a different animal altogether and all they care about is price and time. I try and play the "perceived value" card as much as I can........it has worked and is working. We show up in jackets with big old custom logo's embroidered on the back, clean rigs and equipment and it seems to make a solid impression. Those 3' boulders cost about $650 a truck load delievered and covers about 80 sq. ft of wall.

Fieldman12
01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Love all the pics guys.

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
How many loads for first wall shown and how many loads for the second wall.Just an estimate,easier to for me then sq.ft.At this stage,and i know all loads wouldn't be the exact same but close i would guess.

Just wondering?

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
First job: 7 loads as I recall and 2nd job was 10-12 loads. Pics don't show the entire deal on either one........sorry 'bout that. We also set the steps on the first one and did the patio and walkways that lead up to the top.......I will see if I can find another pic from a different angle.....

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Here's a porch wrap we did that the happy home owner designed and we built.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Here's a pic of the hardscaping we installed on the first patio level

kreft
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Really nice equipment guys, I wish I was seeing those veiws.

KSSS any pics of the 5500?

bobcat_ron
01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow, what kind of pavers are those, if they are pavers?

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's another one I found of the steps and walkways from the first job I posted

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
BobCatRon....those "pavers" are actually 31/2" thick rock slab that matched the stair material. We ended up having to cut just about every piece in the walkways. The color of the stair slabs was such that this was the only way we could get anything to match.......went through 3 quickie saw blades and alot of dust masks.

bobcat_ron
01-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I would have never known, looks like a solid slab of textured concrete, nice job!

ksss
01-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Really nice equipment guys, I wish I was seeing those veiws.

KSSS any pics of the 5500?

Yea if you go to the IH buys GM med. duty truck division, I posted a picture of it there.

kreft
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok Thanks:)

AWJ Services
01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Those 3' boulders cost about $650 a truck load delievered and covers about 80 sq. ft of wall.

That is really cost effective.
Rocks that size here are much more expensive.

I would have never known, looks like a solid slab of textured concrete, nice job!

Hardscaping with natural stones is an art.

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Ron !!!!! Good man, you finally got rid of tha Bobcat sig thing,now work on the name change.Okay!

Rock great jobs,now i know why you get the big bucks,rocks pays better then dirt in your case!!!!!!!! not mine.I do hope they get green grass growing there someday,i couldn't live with out green grass.

By the way nice paint in the corral,bet she or he likes green grass also.Thanks for the info also:usflag:.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Constructo: that job is a two part job. We started it last year and have been rehired to finish off the rest of the front come spring. This job was fun and what made it so fun was that the homeowner let us create within a budget. Also, been a great advertisement....I picked up a Contractor who only builds 3 homes a year (very high end stuff) and he has hired us to do some rockwork and hardscaping with imported slabs from somewhere overseas.

P.Services
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Constructo: that job is a two part job. We started it last year and have been rehired to finish off the rest of the front come spring. This job was fun and what made it so fun was that the homeowner let us create within a budget. Also, been a great advertisement....I picked up a Contractor who only builds 3 homes a year (very high end stuff) and he has hired us to do some rockwork and hardscaping with imported slabs from somewhere overseas.

dont take this the wrong way but your rockwork is horrible. it looks very bad. you should try to "plant" the rock better. set it in the hill more and make it look more natural as opposed to protruding out and sitting by its self.

SiteSolutions
01-02-2008, 10:08 PM
dont take this the wrong way but your rockwork is horrible. it looks very bad. you should try to "plant" the rock better. set it in the hill more and make it look more natural as opposed to protruding out and sitting by its self.

Yeah, "I don't mean to be rude but you suck!" :laugh:

"Don't take this wrong" :laugh:

Seriously, tho, the rock work looks good to me. And congrats on 1000 posts.

P.Services
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
i think the wall part looks good but the rest looks very bad.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Picasso.........lets see some of your work now. There are all sorts of styles of setting rock (which I know you already know), and this job warranted a formal style of setting (which I know you already know). I would agree it looks bare, but maybe that is because there are no plantings as of yet which will soften the hardscape and rock (which I know you already know). Your informed and constructive criticism is always welcome.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow, I am heartbroken....gonna sell all my stuff and go mow grass with you Picasso......that is, if your Dad is still hiring.

P.Services
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, I am heartbroken....gonna sell all my stuff and go mow grass with you Picasso......that is, if your Dad is still hiring.

wow i didnt mean to get you so mad. and whats the comment about my dad for? what does that mean?

Construct'O
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Nothing like throwing one out of left field !!!!! If you don't have something contructive and not detructive to say, then don't waste your time to post!

Now post your pictures, so everyone can pick them apart.Then you wonder why people don't or won't post pictures of their jobs.We had this a few months back.:rolleyes:

Just like, has been posted before! different areas does things different.In your area which is a longggggggg ways from Rocks, might work there ,but thats there not Utah.Different strokes for different folks.

Cheap shoot :nono:!!!!:hammerhead::waving:

Scag48
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm going to stick up for RSG 100%. If you don't like someone's work, that's cool, but be a big man, stop hiding behind the keyboard and POST SOME OF YOUR OWN!!! I posted some wall pics on here that stirred the pot a while back. Some folk think 4 foot walls need to be engineered, or damn close to it. Fact of the matter is, the walls we have built stand up very well to the climate they're in and we haven't had any issues. But, everybody on here decided to bash me about it. The joke of it is, nobody else had the balls to post their own work, all they did was bash my pics.

AWJ Services
01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Pavers and stackable wall blocks have become the "Defacto" definition of hardsacape.
They are not in the same category as what RSG is doing plain and simple.
The Village idiot can lay pavers with a little education.
What he is doing is off the charts compared to that.
Just the fact that he cut that patio out of 3 1/2 inch stone speaks Accolades of his ability and craftmanship.

P.Services
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
i put some links to a few guys i worked with and learned from on mrusk page a few minutes ago, check them out. thats what i think good rock work looks like.

RockSet N' Grade
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Heck, its different strokes for different folks. Last thing I ever want is someone to say they like something when they don't....I appreciate (on one level) the honesty. I am open to constructive criticism 'cause I am always looking to improve. But then again, I got my validation of the quality of my work by landing 3 jobs on upper end homes. If you want to cut my work, go for it........just give it some real solid thought and be specific so I can improve.....

AWJ Services
01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
You are not comparing apples to apples.
I actually do not think you really have ever worked with the materials he is working with so it will be hard for you to make an unbiased comparison.

ksss
01-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Now that is some funny sh!t.:laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Had a weak moment and it slipped out.......sorry. I looked at the sites Picasso reccommended, and those guys do pretty awesome New England style dry stack walls and nice flag stone work. Some great ideas there and I bookmarked those two sites. Worth looking at. I guess it is just regional differences and the use of different materials in different regions.

P.Services
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
i am gona get some pics of a job i did this spring with a HUGE flaw. i will get whats coming on that one times 100.

ksss
01-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm going to stick up for RSG 100%. If you don't like someone's work, that's cool, but be a big man, stop hiding behind the keyboard and POST SOME OF YOUR OWN!!! I posted some wall pics on here that stirred the pot a while back. Some folk think 4 foot walls need to be engineered, or damn close to it. Fact of the matter is, the walls we have built stand up very well to the climate they're in and we haven't had any issues. But, everybody on here decided to bash me about it. The joke of it is, nobody else had the balls to post their own work, all they did was bash my pics.

Hey Scag if you go to his equipment website you will find a dam nice sod job. Picasso you have been in business for a year. Show some class and maturity even if your not. I would like to know specifically what looks terrible. I don't see it but perhaps you could enlighten all of us. It is hard for me to give you much credability when all I have seen is sod job. You don't, from the looks of it, own anything with an engine besides a lawn mower and a couple vehicles, which is fine but don't talk like your a hardscape guru. Your equipment link through the first 3 pages gives the impression that the Fecon is yours. Everyone is patting you on the back saying how cool you are, until page 4 when you admit the Fecon was rented. Nice touch. Going to a tree cutting company liquidation auction and buying up their old equipment no more makes you a hardscaper, than me buying a set of golf clubs makes me a golf pro. Show us your "OWN" work, and string together 3 or more years of being in business for yourself and your opinions might mean something.

qps
01-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Hey Scag if you go to his equipment website you will find a dam nice sod job. Picasso you have been in business for a year. Show some class and maturity even if your not. I would like to know specifically what looks terrible. I don't see it but perhaps you could enlighten all of us. It is hard for me to give you much credability when all I have seen is sod job. You don't, from the looks of it, own anything with an engine besides a lawn mower and a couple vehicles, which is fine but don't talk like your a hardscape guru. Your equipment link through the first 3 pages gives the impression that the Fecon is yours. Everyone is patting you on the back saying how cool you are, until page 4 when you admit the Fecon was rented. Nice touch. Going to a tree cutting company liquidation auction and buying up their old equipment no more makes you a hardscaper, than me buying a set of golf clubs makes me a golf pro. Show us your "OWN" work, and string together 3 or more years of being in business for yourself and your opinions might mean something.

Man.....this is a tough group:laugh:.....ugh...I could use a few golf lessons...:cool2:........

qps
01-03-2008, 01:05 AM
i put some links to a few guys i worked with and learned from on mrusk page a few minutes ago, check them out. thats what i think good rock work looks like.

What you think and what someone else thinks are two totally different stories...I think you stepped in it this time my man.....make note to self....keep negative remarks to myself...

Scag48
01-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Since this Picasso character is a dirt veteran, anything you see wrong in this pic?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSCF4064.jpg

PS, there is a flaw in this trench, but I doubt anyone will figure it out. And no, it has nothing to do with where I put the spoils, that would be a technical error anywhere else but I had a couple grade stakes on the left side I was trying not to bury.

JDSKIDSTEER
01-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Ron !!!!! Good man, you finally got rid of tha Bobcat sig thing,now work on the name change.Okay!

Rock great jobs,now i know why you get the big bucks,rocks pays better then dirt in your case!!!!!!!! not mine.I do hope they get green grass growing there someday,i couldn't live with out green grass.

By the way nice paint in the corral,bet she or he likes green grass also.Thanks for the info also:usflag:.Cat Man Ron

YellowDogSVC
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Nothing like throwing one out of left field !!!!! If you don't have something contructive and not detructive to say, then don't waste your time to post!

Now post your pictures, so everyone can pick them apart.Then you wonder why people don't or won't post pictures of their jobs.We had this a few months back.:rolleyes:

Just like, has been posted before! different areas does things different.In your area which is a longggggggg ways from Rocks, might work there ,but thats there not Utah.Different strokes for different folks.

Cheap shoot :nono:!!!!:hammerhead::waving:

:laugh: :laugh: You think some of these guys are just bitter for getting wedgies and being pushed into their lockers back in hs?

Blyth
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
:laugh: :laugh: You think some of these guys are just bitter for getting wedgies and being pushed into their lockers back in hs?

As a matter of fact... I am a bit bitter about all that...

Oh.. did I just say that out loud.. D@#! IT!:laugh:

bobcat_ron
01-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Since this Picasso character is a dirt veteran, anything you see wrong in this pic?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSCF4064.jpg

PS, there is a flaw in this trench, but I doubt anyone will figure it out. And no, it has nothing to do with where I put the spoils, that would be a technical error anywhere else but I had a couple grade stakes on the left side I was trying not to bury.

It looks messy, too much excess soil on top of the side of the trench, it could fall in as you work in the trench, so wht's wrong with it then?

P.Services
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Your equipment link through the first 3 pages gives the impression that the Fecon is yours. Everyone is patting you on the back saying how cool you are, until page 4 when you admit the Fecon was rented.

the second sentence of the very first page says the fecon is rented.

RockSet N' Grade
01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll take a gander at this: Is that a silt fence that has been knocked down? Yanmar is facing backwards.....blade should be facing trench when digging? Trench being dug on wrong lot? No blue stakes visable? Operator is not present due to phone call from his girlfriend telling him his wife just found out? "It looks horrible and you should visit www.awesometrenches to see a real trench job that I didn't do?" :)

Tigerotor77W
01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Operator is not present due to phone call from his girlfriend telling him his wife just found out?

Hahaha... I love it. :)

qps
01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
It looks messy, too much excess soil on top of the side of the trench, it could fall in as you work in the trench, so wht's wrong with it then?

covered your locate marks???? I give...

Construct'O
01-03-2008, 01:04 PM
First off is this a test or an information finding course for your union course???Here it goes ready or not!

Trench looks pretty good to me.Looks to be about the same depth clear through the dig.No big clods for the labors to clear out.Smooth bottom not a roller coaster bottom.

Dirt is pretty close to the trench,but because of the right away and grade stake,not much other options there.So when you said grade stake was that for depth or alignment?

By the picture it is hard to tell but if it for a footing the trench looks to curve a little,but other then that i giveup!!!!!!!!!!

Unless this is the one where you hit the utility and took cover wanting for the explosion?

I did notice also like Rock that you was diggin over the finals.That has been decussed and cussed over on HEF,which i'm sure you have read.

Then again!!!!!to end the test it might be the perfect trench !!!!!! and your just trying to smoke us out,to prove a point.That someone will always try to find something wrong no matter how good the job is.:rolleyes:

Test is over.Man that was a tuff one:walking::usflag:

Scag48
01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Haha, you guys are great. I knew nobody would figure it out, it would be tough to tell how deep it was in the photo. This trench was 6" too deep, should've been running a trench box. Oops. Yeah I had a little mess up top lining the trench, I was hellbent on getting done by lunch and I had a long way to go. But, I had to time to snap a pic. You guys might think I'm nuts by saying this, but when I'm running a mini I like the blade in the rear of the machine. Unless I'm in hard ground where you're struggling to keep the machine from falling into the trench with every grab that pulls it forward. Visibility wihout the blade in front is much better. I know on HEF there was a huge discussion about this and on fullsize machines I will practice idler to the front, but on the minis it seems the blade is always in my way, I like to work right up to the finals/idlers when trenching.

The plastic seen was landscape fabric, we had to move large outcroppings of trees, flowers, boulders, and landscape brick before we could trench. This frontage berm faces the road. To the left of the trench, there was a sanitary sewer line we found, to the right was 3 legs of 2" conduit we buried 2 weeks earlier, I had maybe 2-3 feet between the trenches at the most and I was working basically right next to a huge ductile water main. I was a little stressed digging this one.

AWJ Services
01-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I prefer the blade out of my way as well but here the dirt is so hard I end up with the blade forward alot.
The Takeuchi machines have a lot of bucket breakout so you do not have to use the boom to dig which allows the machine to stay planted .

By the way I get very angry when I see this pristine dirt you guys work with so could you please from now on just color it red in photoshop before posting the pics.:)

bobcat_ron
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
We never have to use trench boxes with that soil here or even at any depth, only if there are people actually present in the trench.

Mjh Excavating
01-03-2008, 11:03 PM
KSSS,
Off the topic of your thread but curious about the leachfield systems you guys install in that part of the country. It appears from the pics you have a great deal of gravel in your area. The perc rates must be extremely fast. Thanks.

SiteSolutions
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
"It looks horrible and you should visit www.awesometrenches to see a real trench job that I didn't do?" :)

excellent:laugh:

Mjh Excavating
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Here is one trench of twelve of an Eljen system we did this summer. Each trench was 100 feet long. 25 mats per trench @ $110 a mat.

ksss
01-03-2008, 11:50 PM
The ground conditions in that picture are very representative of the ground everywhere here. We use the Quick 4 Infiltrators. They are installed no deeper than 4' and work well. Drainage is not typically a problem here. Everywhere is a French drain of sorts. Ground water can be an issue in some areas in which case the Complex Septics are used (of which I am not licensed to do and nor do I want to).

Mjh Excavating
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Interesting, thanks for the reply, what would be average leach field size under normal conditions (lineal feet) And size of septic tank. I like the infiltrator system but the engineers here don't seem to.

ksss
01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
An average home will typically use 1000 or 1500 gallon tank if it is a larger home. The leach field will typically be 100 feet in length with the infiltrators (3'X4'). They cost currently just under $20.00 a piece. There are some areas that have a silt type Volcanic ash that has no bottom. The length of drain field can easily double.

Mjh Excavating
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for your replies, always interested in how its done in different parts of the country. Nice equipment and nice looking digs.

qps
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
An average home will typically use 1000 or 1500 gallon tank if it is a larger home. The leach field will typically be 100 feet in length with the infiltrators (3'X4'). They cost currently just under $20.00 a piece. There are some areas that have a silt type Volcanic ash that has no bottom. The length of drain field can easily double.

Don't quote me but here they use 1000 gallon tank, plus a dosing tank of 1000 gallons with sewage pump,and I believe its 100 lf per bedroom of the home, like I said I don't know for sure if thats 100% accurate....but our clay soils don't drain worth a crap...and a finger can be no more than 3' deep...did I mention I don't care for septic systems....

AWJ Services
01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Here depending on the county inspector you will need around 75 foot of infiltrator per bedroom.
1000 gallon tank unless you have garbage disposal then you need 1500.

ksss
01-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Here depending on the county inspector you will need around 75 foot of infiltrator per bedroom.
1000 gallon tank unless you have garbage disposal then you need 1500.

I appreciate the positive comments MJH

I have never heard of having to up to a 1500 gal. tank due to a garbage disposal.

QPS I don't really care for septic installs either. Mostly because it is not that profitable. There is usually $1000 to 1200 left after materials. You can set the tank, set the distribution box and laterals in one day. Then the whole thing has to be inspected by two gov. agencies. The State inspects from the house to the tank and the local gov. health department inspects the tank and the laterals. After that happens you can back fill it. So you most likely have two mobilizations to the job. So the way I break it down that is 500 to 600 per day. Granted you can do more work on the back fill day so that may not be all that you do but still not a big money maker. There should be more money but that is all that this market will allow.

Mjh Excavating
01-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Wow that isn't very much money to install a system. KSSS I have a thing about posting prices for jobs on the internet. But lets just say it is a profitable venture in this AREA. The one in the photo was fairly large system consisting of 3000 gallon tank then a dual pump tank, 900 feet of force main up to the system, which as I said was 1200' of mats.

Is an engineer involved in septic design (perc tests, site plan, etc.)?
It seems certain areas are just # bedrooms = this much leach field.

AWJ Services
01-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I have never heard of having to up to a 1500 gal. tank due to a garbage disposal.

It was in my certfication test.Never had an inspector mention it before.

There are companies here doing installs for 400 to 500 dollars labor.
The area has went from 500+ houses a month new construction to 50 or less.

Dirt Digger2
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
there is plenty of money in septic systems....thats primarily all we do. The trick is to get good at it, I can go out with a laborer and spend a day and a half installing your "standard" system. We don't spend a week doing it like some other guys. The real money is in complicated systems that nobody else wants to do. We have done a few systems that were the first of their kind in PA and that is where the money is. We have done systems that the bed was over a quarter mile away from the house up in open space, required the strongest pump money can buy, when they fail the homeowner will be hurting.

and Scag...the bottom of that ditch looks like a mountain range...is that the problem? haha

i posted some of these pictures in another thread, but here is some of my work

Dirt Digger2
01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
this was a pretty big rain pit...500 tons of stone if i remember correctly

Dirt Digger2
01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
just a few more

Dirt Digger2
01-04-2008, 12:06 PM
heres the final product

Dirt Digger2
01-04-2008, 12:07 PM
and for anyone who likes pictures from the cab of equipment

ksss
01-05-2008, 01:52 AM
It sounds like your systems are more elaborate than ours. Our system here is like this. Homeowner goes to health department and submits house plans and the environmental health person there tells said homeowner what he wants to see in the way of a system in the form of a permit. Depending on location the homeowner may need a test hole. Typically the health department folks are familiar with the ground conditions in their area. The homeowner gives me a copy of the permit which tells me what type of system (usually infiltrator), max. depth of infiltrator and the number of square feet of infiltrators. It is up to me to design the system around those requirements. These systems are not near as involved as what you guys are doing in PA. These are easy systems that are not very involved and thus they don't bring much money. I think they should be higher simply because the ass tax is high but the market will not support that. There are complex systems which are more profitable than the one outlined above. I have not got licensed for those. I do them simply because homebuilders want you to take care of everything so I do them but the septic system is hardly ever a big money maker. I have built huge systems that did have good money in them but they are usually commercial systems.

Scag48
01-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Septic is such a hassle back home, dad and I decided that we didn't want to get septic certified because there is zero money in it right now. Seems to me that there's only money in the way complicated systems and those systems are few and far between, there aren't very many of them installed on a yearly basis. So, nobody wants to go through the training to install these complicated systems because the necessity of needing to know that type of installation is basically zero right now. There are a small handful of guys that can do it, they're based 35 miles away but they can handle the current demand nicely.

However, back home the city sewer system is going to be maxed out soon enough and anyone building outside city limits (which is constantly growing) is going to be on septic. There are only a couple guys in town who will do septic systems, even traditional systems that only require the certification from the health department or whatever and there hasn't been a huge demand for standard systems yet as the public sewer system reaches most new home sites. This will change shortly, the majority of new homes in the next 5 years and beyond will be built outside the sewer infrastructure. So, in 10 years I imagine there will be one dude in town that runs around with a 7 ton excavator and backhoe and will probably make a crap ton of money, literally.

Dirt Digger2
01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
i had a bunch of awesome pictures of some nice septic installs i have done over the past year, but when my hard drive went down so did all the pictures....i'll have to get some more whenever the housing picks back up and we actually start installing them again

Dirt Digger2
01-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Is an engineer involved in septic design (perc tests, site plan, etc.)?

not here anyway...theres a guy at work that does a lot of our designs. You need to be certified by the state and have a license but you do not need to be an engineer.

you do however need to be an engineer to design anything that involves storm water, doesn't really make sense to me because your septic gets a lot more use the an infiltrator for storm water but then again what do i know

Scag48
01-05-2008, 03:29 PM
That's pretty cool, out here the system has to be designed by an engineer and you have to be licensed to install.

janb
01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
and now SW WA state has upped the ante and because a couple homeowners let theirs overflow, now EVERY one has to have a licensed inspector certify your 'non-gravity' system annually. Gravity requires licensed inspections every 3 yrs. They also are not approving anymore Gravity systems, and must be pressure distribution, or sand filter... or step or ???

I did the installers test for homes, as did my kids when they built their 'homeschool' projects, but they now require full engineering and licensed install ~ $10k to $25k typical

We have to run 1500 gal tanks with Garbage disposals and more than 3 bdrm, and typical infiltrator / drain fields were ~ 100' lineal per bedroom (~300 sf) with reserve field nearby. Drain Rock is very hard to come by and ~ $1000/ 20 yd transfer load, so infiltrators are more popular.

I'm considering getting a license to inspect, as we have over 100,000 systems in the county, but I'm most concerned about the 'fixed' income folks who will now be shouldering a $200/yr inspection bill. But that is only equivalent to 6 days property tax for me. (another crime in WA... but NO INCOME tax... which is good if you have income...)

bobcat_ron
01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow, complicated septic systems, I just poop in a hole in the ground on the basement and close the door.

qps
01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow, complicated septic systems, I just poop in a hole in the ground on the basement and close the door.

That would explain alot;)

RockSet N' Grade
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Question is Bobcat Ron.......do you leave the lid up?

dons
01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Great pictures guys. I have a yearning to move west, it's beautiful country!

A comment on how septic systems work here from a permitting angle (the health department). They are based on total under heat-air square footage and have nothing to do with the amount of fixtures or bathrooms. Excluding closets.

We built a room and bath addition for one of our good neighbors planning ahead with ADA features. The square footage of the addition put them over what their newly installed (5 years old & perfectly good) septic system allowed by 200 s/f and the H/D wouldn't budge on it. My neighbor had a really big closet for a while :)

bobcat_ron
01-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Question is Bobcat Ron.......do you leave the lid up?

What lid????

It's just a hole we hill billy in-bred rednecks dig into our dirt floor and put some plywood around.

Squat yerself down and grunt like hell and make yerself skweeeeeeelll like a pig.

Then when the hole fills up after 1 or 2 years, dig another right beside it and move the walls over.

Recycling done the red neck way. Hee-haw!!

AWJ Services
01-06-2008, 02:19 AM
A comment on how septic systems work here from a permitting angle (the health department). They are based on total under heat-air square footage and have nothing to do with the amount of fixtures or bathrooms. Excluding closets.

In Georgia they go exclusivley by bedrooms.

A freind of mine owns a 4000 sq/ft home with less than 200 foot of drain line.
The house has very few bedrooms.

qps
01-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Yeah Shane your truck is cool:clapping:...you don't know where a guy could get a CASE hat do ya????

ksss
01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Why yes I do as a matter of fact, but it is more than a hat, it's a state of mind. To steal a line from my favorite USMC commercial "The change is forever."

dozerman21
01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah Shane your truck is cool:clapping:...you don't know where a guy could get a CASE hat do ya????

Tim, you must be in negotiations for a new Cat machine!:laugh:

KSSS- Better yet, let's get him a couple of Case license plates for his trucks... if only he didn't have Fords!:cry::laugh:

qps
01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Tim, you must be in negotiations for a new Cat machine!:laugh:

KSSS- Better yet, let's get him a couple of Case license plates for his trucks... if only he didn't have Fords!:cry::laugh:

Yeah...that's the way I negotiate....I send feelers out across the country and the word spreads like wild fire that I even mentoned another brand name...get's CAT to drop there price everytime:cool2:

ksss
01-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Funny you should mention that Dozerman. I just mounted a CASE license plate on the headache rack of my dually. Since I am gettin better at this I will photo it and post it. There is no way I could, in good concious, let him put a CASE license plate on a Ford. If I did not know that would be one thing, but the cats out of the bag.:hammerhead:

qps
01-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Funny you should mention that Dozerman. I just mounted a CASE license plate on the headache rack of my dually. Since I am gettin better at this I will photo it and post it. There is no way I could, in good concious, let him put a CASE license plate on a Ford. If I did not know that would be one thing, but the cats out of the bag.:hammerhead:

This is me not saying anything....

ksss
01-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Here is a photo of my dually with the CASE license plate on it and a dump truck I am looking at. Tim, only when truly accept the Force (CASE) can you truly be Productive. Accept the Force Tim.

The truck belongs to a friend of mine. The bed needs to be relined or replaced. It is a very heavy HD truck. Cat Power, 18 speed, 400K if I remember right not as clean as I thought it was, it is a 385 Pete.

qps
01-06-2008, 04:28 PM
The power of the dark side is stong..in you young kaiserwalker;)

dozerman21
01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Quad axle huh? That's a lot of truck. I would check the frame and hoist out good and make sure they're not twisted any if the bed is not aligned. Nice Pete though... I'm sure some aluminum polish and elbow grease would go a long way. Nice looking dually too!:weightlifter:

qps
01-06-2008, 05:05 PM
That your shop with all the doors on it ???

ksss
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
No thats the neighbors shop across the road. Mine has one 20' door.

Lazer_Z
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Sweet looking GMC ya got Kaiser. You're going against the grain looking at that dump, it's got a CAT under the hood. I think Tim is rubbing off on you, you'll be trading in those orange toys for some real CAT power lol. Seriously you have what looks to be a top notch operation Kaiser, keep up the great work.

ksss
01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Quad axle huh? That's a lot of truck. I would check the frame and hoist out good and make sure they're not twisted any if the bed is not aligned. Nice Pete though... I'm sure some aluminum polish and elbow grease would go a long way. Nice looking dually too!:weightlifter:

I use this guy to haul a lot material for me so I saw this truck a lot. He also has 3 Super Dumps. He wants to upgrade this truck to a superdump. He just tells me to tell him what I want to pay for it. Any ideas. I have some better pictures of the bed. It would cost about 15K to replace the bed. I am not sure how much to put in a new liner.

P.Services
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM

i think you read that wrong, the bed needs to be relined not aligned. meaning its not twisted.

ksss whats the deal with the bed? its worn through and thin or what? are you thinking the spray on stuff or steel liner or plastic liner?

ksss
01-06-2008, 05:34 PM
i think you read that wrong, the bed needs to be relined not aligned. meaning its not twisted.

ksss whats the deal with the bed? its worn through and thin or what? are you thinking the spray on stuff or steel liner or plastic liner?

I will post the rest of the pictures of the truck which show the issues with the bed. The CAT engine is one of those things. Used trucks, sometimes you don't get to be too chosey. I actually don't have an issue with the CAT power except the costs to have them worked on. I have been told by others though since I have been looking for a newer dump truck that they all (Detroit, CAT and Cummins) are similiar in rebuild costs now.

dozerman21
01-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Whoops! Well, go ahead and check the frame just for sh!ts and giggles!

Not too sure what to tell ya on the price, I'm more familiar with smaller tandems. 400K is a lot of miles for a dump. To be safe I'd get a price from someone on a rebuild in case it needs one sooner than later. Is it a C-15? I'm a Cummins fan but those Cats are great engines too.

kreft
01-06-2008, 05:53 PM
KSSS- do you mind if I post some pictures of my dads job

ksss
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
KSSS- do you mind if I post some pictures of my dads job

GO for it I would like to see them.

kreft
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Uh-Oh, my mom deleted them, when she uploaded pictures today. I feel like an idiot. sorry.

RockSet N' Grade
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Kreft....you may have got off easy on that one.....tough crowd....tough crowd.......

kreft
01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
But here is the 5500 loaded up from a shack we took down.

kreft
01-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Next time I go to work with my dad, I will get some great pictures!

P.Services
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
kreft put the logo on it allready!!!

ksss
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I will post the rest of the pictures of the truck which show the issues with the bed. The CAT engine is one of those things. Used trucks, sometimes you don't get to be too chosey. I actually don't have an issue with the CAT power except the costs to have them worked on. I have been told by others though since I have been looking for a newer dump truck that they all (Detroit, CAT and Cummins) are similiar in rebuild costs now.

These are the picture showing the issues with the bed.

RockSet N' Grade
01-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Ksss, is that happening on both sides or just one side? Alot of chaps here put in liners (1/2 of a boiler tank set in the bed) and keep running as long as the structural members are sound.

P.Services
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
so is that split right open to the inside? that box looks about new to be doing that.

ksss
01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
It is both sides. Lining it would solve the problem. It just would bother me. I would rather replace the bed.

qps
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
your getting handy with your camera:weightlifter:...looks like a new bed to fix it right...7-9K??????

kreft
01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
so what kind of bed would you put on it? Same one but new?

SiteSolutions
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Is that just ate up by salt? That's such a bummer. I take it for granted how easy the south can be on metal. I'm sure New Mexico is even easier on stuff, though...

ksss
01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Is that just ate up by salt? That's such a bummer. I take it for granted how easy the south can be on metal. I'm sure New Mexico is even easier on stuff, though...I am not sure why it did that. I think it was just use and weight. There really was not any rust on the bed except where metal was exposed. I would put the same type of bed on it. I want a demo body on my next truck. He needs to be reasonable in price. I really don't know where he is at yet. Anybody want to through some numbers out based on what you see?

Scag48
01-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice truck Shane! :drinkup: You seal the deal on that Pete? Or is it just a buddy's? Here's my buddy's Pete 379 and his Vio 55. Day before Thanksgiving, I was bailing him out.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSC_0013.jpg

ksss
01-06-2008, 10:24 PM
That is a sweet truck Scag. I am still in the talking stage.

RockSet N' Grade
01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
What year is the 385 you are looking at?

ksss
01-06-2008, 10:31 PM
It is a 1996

Scag48
01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah, my buddy's Pete is pretty slick. We swapped out the stacks one day before work, he put the visor on the night before, he just didn't want to truck all day without them on :laugh: I can't remember how much power his Cat is putting out, but I think it's over 400, I want to say 425 but I'm not too sure. He did have the good sense to get a rig with an 18 speed Eaton. He wants a new box in the next year or so, it doesn't look it but the box on there is beat up pretty bad. I think he'll go with Sturdyweld, they're built here in Lynnwood and are by far the most popular box here in WA 3 to 1. Other than that, his truck is pretty strong and he bought it right. I'm a KW fan, but I like them Petes too.

Dirt Digger2
01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
well if we are showing off Petes here is ours..haha

KSSS i would stay away from the C-12 CAT motor, i can name a handfull of guys that have had difficulties as they get more and more miles on them

Fieldman12
01-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I love Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks. What's the deal with the sloped dump bed on the Pete Scag48? Never see them like that around here. As for the Cat motors. Between my best friend and his dad they have about 12 semis on the road. They seem to have the best luck out of the old Series 60 Detroit motors. The Cat's and I hate to say this for some reason are not holding up as well for them. As a mater of fact they just has a C-12 rebuilt several months ago by Cat. Well it is blowed up again. They claim too it is allot cheaper to rebuild the Detroits. They said they are probably going to start buying more Detroits and cummins. They have had good luck out of the Cummins motors.

ksss
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Most trucks out West have beds just like that. When you go East they tend to be square like Dirt Digger posted. Kinda weird, I don't know why it works like that but it does.

Scag48
01-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I can't really tell you why the top of the box is sloped to the rear, they just are. And I like the look better than a square top :drinkup:

The way to really get them looking nice is to take 2" round amber LED's and line them down the side of the box on that raised portion just up from the floor. Looks REAL sharp, just like this Pete. They're a little tough to see in the pic, but there's 5 on the truck and 3 on the pup I believe. The box and pup are both built by Sturdyweld. This truck belongs to a guy that was helping out my buddy, he brought in his dozer the day before this picture was taken and we were cutting roadway. With a pup, him and my buddy could move a lot of material from the pit, quickly.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSCF4083.jpg

Lazer_Z
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Your buddy keeps that Pete looking nice Scag.

ALarsh
01-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I can't really tell you why the top of the box is sloped to the rear, they just are. And I like the look better than a square top :drinkup:

The way to really get them looking nice is to take 2" round amber LED's and line them down the side of the box on that raised portion just up from the floor. Looks REAL sharp, just like this Pete. They're a little tough to see in the pic, but there's 5 on the truck and 3 on the pup I believe. The box and pup are both built by Sturdyweld. This truck belongs to a guy that was helping out my buddy, he brought in his dozer the day before this picture was taken and we were cutting roadway. With a pup, him and my buddy could move a lot of material from the pit, quickly.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSCF4083.jpg

So does he have to disconnect the pup in order to dump the pete? How long does that take?

kreft
01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm proboly wrong but, shouldn't you cover up the storm drain to keep silt from getting in?

P.Services
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm proboly wrong but, shouldn't you cover up the storm drain to keep silt from getting in?

it looks like it has a fabric liner to me. see the black stuff hanging out the iron grate lays on top of it.

Scag48
01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Yep, there's fabric covering the drain lid, but it's between the riser and lid so it doesn't blow away.

If you're a good driver and you have enough room, you can dump box on the truck without disconnecting by jack-knifing the crap out of the pup. I've seen it done quite a few times, but it depends on the site. Doesn't take long to take it on and off if need be, most drivers can back right up to the pintle perfectly, drop it on and be out of there in 5-6 minutes.

kreft
01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Yea, I'm just wasn't sure what that was.

grassmanvt
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Most trucks out West have beds just like that. When you go East they tend to be square like Dirt Digger posted. Kinda weird, I don't know why it works like that but it does.

Yeah, I don't ever remember seeing an angle cut one here. Every now and then in an ad.

Dirt Digger2
01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
thats because out west they are afraid to drive a fully loaded truck so they cut the back half off.....:laugh:HAHA, we load that thing to the top and then some as long as we know there wont be and DOT stops along the way...more dirt = more $

ksss
01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
thats because out west they are afraid to drive a fully loaded truck so they cut the back half off.....:laugh:HAHA, we load that thing to the top and then some as long as we know there wont be and DOT stops along the way...more dirt = more $

Might be some truth to that. It sure hurts when DOT finds you. My side dump got stopped one day. 125K on a trailer and tractor licensed to 80K. That left $3,700 fine (nontax deductable). I negeotiated a deal with the county prosecuter but I wont be so lucky next time.

SiteSolutions
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
How much can a tri axle dump carry out west? In Alabama, they're good for 80,000 pounds gross. A truck with a lot of aluminum might weigh 26,000 empty and thus be able to haul 27 tons at a time. I'm guessing there are different rules in different areas, which would mean different beds...

dozerman21
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I think the tapered sideboards are just a cosmetic thing. To my knowledge they don't have any performance advantage, however, I do think they would help with not being overloaded. We have mostly rectangle beds with double sideboards here... the minority that use the tapered sideboards seem to be owner/operator (hence not wanting to be overloaded and be responsible for paying the fine).

Since we're in the picture giving mood, here's what life in the midwest is like when the ground should be frozen and instead we get rain. It gets much worse than this even. There's not much bottom right now. Anybody want to trade some of that hard red dirt you don't like for this?:dizzy: The back end sank down about 3" when I lowered the blade.

Construct'O, this mud's for you!:drinkup:

tnmtn
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
around here i have always heard the tapered dumps refered to as rock beds. it was explained to me that the idea is if you have a load of boulder type rock this bed would keep it from sliding and banging off the sides of the bed when dumping. i guess it makes a bigger diffrence in areas where flat ground is a rarity. made sense when i heard it but could be another reason as well.
good luck,

Tigerotor77W
01-08-2008, 08:56 PM
life in the midwest

You didn't get hammered by that storm system that swept through last night, did you? Icky mess in some parts of IN and IL and WI, I heard...

Construct'O
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Be careful what you wish for !!!!!!!! :rolleyes: You better get more of that mud out before it gets Zero or below !

So did you buy,rent,demo ,or steal the new Case dozer or what? Might want to start taking pictures a little early before dark or before you clean tracks next time.

The SE sure shine in the picture.Don't know what happened to the CA,but i'm sure it is there some where:).

Mud i know the feeling and cleaning tracks !

I'm on vacation,just searching the internet for equipment and women:drinkup:!Have fun !:usflag:

dozerman21
01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Tigerator- Yeah, we've been getting dumped on all day. It will be nasty for a while. It's warm but it's a marsh right now.

Construct'O- If I was going to steal one, it would have A/C!:) The tracks get much worse than that pic... that's just as bad as they've been since last spring. You didn't notice my spade on the blade?:weightlifter: I clean out everyday. If it gets below freezing I put it in the shop. I spent 4 hours one day last week when it was 5 degrees using kerosene and propane heaters trying to get my loader off the trailer. It had sat for a week and I wanted to get it inside so I could use it the next day. I won't take any chances on throwing out the rear end.

Hopefully vacation means you're on a beach in Mexico and not in Iowa just not working!:usflag: Maybe drinking some cold ones watching the nice scenery around you... and I don't mean the ocean or the dozer screensaver on your laptop computer!:laugh::drinkup:

coopers
01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I think the tapered sideboards are just a cosmetic thing. To my knowledge they don't have any performance advantage, however, I do think they would help with not being overloaded. We have mostly rectangle beds with double sideboards here... the minority that use the tapered sideboards seem to be owner/operator (hence not wanting to be overloaded and be responsible for paying the fine).

Since we're in the picture giving mood, here's what life in the midwest is like when the ground should be frozen and instead we get rain. It gets much worse than this even. There's not much bottom right now. Anybody want to trade some of that hard red dirt you don't like for this?:dizzy: The back end sank down about 3" when I lowered the blade.

Construct'O, this mud's for you!:drinkup:

Dozerman, I know what you're going through. All the jobs sites I'm on are just s*** holes! You can't get anything done because it takes you double the time to fight the mud, and our excavators are sinking up to the cab every time. No fun.

Blake
WA

AWJ Services
01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I am sitting in Ft Wayne ,Indiana right now watching it rain.
Why can we not have this in Georgia.

dozerman21
01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I am sitting in Ft Wayne ,Indiana right now watching it rain.
Why can we not have this in Georgia.

What brings you up here? Take some of this monsoon with ya.

AWJ Services
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
I bought some equipment for my shop off ebay.I wanted to pick it up in person to make sure it was advertised.
It is only 735 miles.LOL
The people up here sure seem to be real nice.I would think it would be a nice place to live.
I will pick the stuff up in Auburn and then will head back south.

dozerman21
01-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Auburn, IN is known for a huge collector car show and auction each year. I think it's the biggest in the world. If you hang around until fall you can take a car back with you!:weightlifter: People always say we're a southern state in the midwest... maybe it's the hospitality. Come back for the 500 or Brickyard sometime, or better yet hang around for the Colts game Sunday!

Try to stay awake on the drive back... I know how boring that drive can be in stretches, especially Ft. Wayne to Indy.

ksss
01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Dozerman that is a sweet looking dozer. That even though you don't have AC, the cab has to be priceless this time of year. If you were up here your dozer would be parked, along most everything else. More snow and cold temps=more time watching the military channel. This Direct TV rocks. I am trying to pace myself, push snow when I have too, work in the shop when I feel like it and post pictures on Lawnsite. Too bad it doesn't pay as well as pushing dirt during the working months. I am kinda diggen the low stress life style. :sleeping:

RockSet N' Grade
01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I've been up since 4am pushing snow.....takin' a break. We were just suppose to have a little storm or 4" or so.......when it hit about 11" here on the valley floor, seems like I got a little work to do...most of it was digging my self out though.....

Scag48
01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
While you guys are working, the restaurant I work in shut down for 3 weeks for renovation, I'm headed to the indoor gun range today. Bought a new toy about an hour ago, gotta try it out :drinkup:

ksss
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
While you guys are working, the restaurant I work in shut down for 3 weeks for renovation, I'm headed to the indoor gun range today. Bought a new toy about an hour ago, gotta try it out :drinkup:

What did you buy?

Dirt Digger2
01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
i wish we were as busy as some of you...i am sitting here over my winter break from school without anything to do because we have no work...they told me not to even come in. So I went to two different farm shows in 3 days and spent more money then i should have and have just been working around my buddies farm...i want snow or something to get out and plow but its been 65 degrees the past 3 days!

coopers
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
We're pretty slow in WA too, not sure about scag48 but it sucks on the west side. I have a few side jobs to earn me some extra cash and we may possibly be off for a week but not sure. Sucks but what can you do. I wish we had snow to play in. Love that stuff. :)

Blake
WA

Scag48
01-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Coopers, if you have a line on some work and need a hand give me a shout. I'm in Lynnwood now, I'll be headed home for a week next Wednesday, haven't been home in 8 months. But, during the 3 week break I'll be looking for some work during the last 2 weeks doing some side work. Don't need the money that bad, but I bought this baby today to go along with my other toy.

Sig Sauer P220. It's a .45 for those who aren't into guns. Bought it used for a steal of a price, wasn't really planning on buying another pistol for a while but I just found this little gem at a shop today I had to have. Came with Trijicon night sights and Hogue rubber grips.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSC_0002-3-1.jpg

Here's the "family" complete with my Smith & Wesson M&P chambered in 9mm
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSC_0005-4.jpg

ksss
01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Two Tone very nice. I have P220ST, P220 Alloy frame and P245 two tone all with nite sites and two X200 surefire lights. I also just bought a Colt New Agent with Crimson Trace laser grips couple months ago. What did you give for it if I can ask?

Scag48
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
$500, I thought that was reasonable for the old style 220. With night sights, they're probably $950 after you pay tax. I hear the certified pre-owned pieces are the way to go, they go through an inspection by Sig and parts that need to be replaced are taken care of. Those can be $600 or so for the 220 if you can find them, I suppose I figure what could go wrong with them, especially since it's a Sig. This gun doesn't seem like it's seen a lot of rounds through it, the feed ramp isn't polished off all that much, no more than my M&P and my M&P just broke 1,000 rounds as of yesterday. I'd say this 220 has less than 2,000 rounds through it and it feels like it's had a trigger job done as well, the single action is so smooth. The barrel is a little dirty, I'll clean it out tonight, but it doesn't appear it has any barrel nicks at all. The mag well and chamber are all pretty clean, I'd say someone test fired it at the shop a few times as there was some powder present.

How do you like the Crimson Trace? I'm waiting for them to release for the M&P compact, I hear it will be sometime later in the spring. Although I may get laser grips for the 220, we'll see though, the Hogue grips are pretty nice. The M&P is my carry gun, I'd like it to have the CT on there whereas the 220 with night sights will handle home security. Night sights are something else, never seen them in action before and they are SWEET. Headed to the range in a couple hours with a buddy, I've never shot a .45 before so we'll see how that goes. My buddy shot my M&P last week and he thought it had way too much recoil :laugh: I hear Sigs push instead of jump, I'm sure I'll be able to handle it. Will report back!

Tigerotor77W
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Whoa this thread has gotten interesting!

two X200 surefire lights.

Surefires are definitely kick-ass... I've got an A2 Aviator and love it.

RockSet N' Grade
01-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I still have the old 1911 modified by Kings Gun Works. Spent more money on the mods than the gun itself. Been tempted to trade her off for more capacity.....just can't bring myself to do it. Scag.......ever heard of Massad Ayoob? He is teaching a course in Washington I think in July of this coming year.........if you carry, you should consider his course.......

coopers
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I like the looks of a the P220's. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. Very nice! Good buy too! Scag, I'll certainly get a hold of you if I get more side jobs that require some extra help. This one I have at the end of the month shouldn't take long....I'm clearing some brush, taking out a few trees, and knocking down a 500 sq. ft. house (shack IMO) in W. Seattle w/ a 120. Won't take long :drinkup:

Oh...scag, do you go to Sam's in Everett of Airport Way for shooting?

Blake

Scag48
01-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Yes, I do shoot at Sam's, I was there tonight with a buddy of mine. This guy that was there had a fullsize M&P9, he let my buddy and I put a few rounds through it. Needless to say, after shooting the fullsize M&P and the Sig, I think I'm going to sell my 9c. Love the gun, they truly are a great piece of weaponry, but after handling a fullsize and being able to carry a fullsize I see basically no point in having the compact. I suppose I should have tried out the fullsize M&P before buying the compact, but it's too late now. After I get done shooting the Sig I really don't want to hold the M&P, sad to say. Great gun for sure, but I think I'm going to sell it, possibly trade for the fullsize.

Ayoob in WA? Might be something to look into, is there a website for info?

As for Surefire's, my 6PLED just showed up tonight. Bright as hell!

Scag48
01-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Here are a couple more pics of the Sig. I got bored waiting for my buddy to show up before we went to the range.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSC_0001-5.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSC_0004-6.jpg

kreft
01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Does that have a lazer sight?

Scag48
01-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Does that have a lazer sight?

Not yet :drinkup:

kreft
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!!