PDA

View Full Version : Custom Trailer

American_Lawn
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I have an uncle that wants to build me a custom trailer. I will be pulling it with my 02 f150 4.6L. I am only hauling a 32z, 2 21 and accessories. I was thinking around an 6x10. My biggest problem is that I drive about 900 miles a week and I want to try and save a little on gas. Should I got with a bigger trailer or just go with this size? Also, what are some options I shoulf have him add. Should I go double or single axel?

KS_Grasscutter
01-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Dude... why is your route 900 miles a week?

American_Lawn
01-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I have a contract that gives me 150 cuts a week and it covers an entire county. It is just mow blow and go. I am getting things tighter, but some days I just have to service the edges. I average about 120 miles pr day.

Lawn Enforcer
01-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I would put a locking tool box on the front, trimmer racks, blower racks, etc. I would make it a single axle if you go with the 6x10, since that is not a lot of weight. Full width ramp. Make the tool box big enough for all your tools so that you have everything with you in case of breakdowns, I would also put high mesh sides on it to keep everything secure. Could he build an enclosed trailer? Because that would make a lot of sense to have on a long route.

American_Lawn
01-02-2008, 12:36 AM
He said he could, but it would not be with the material that one would get on a new factory built trailer. I can not remember what the material was called, but he said it was alot lighter than most trailers and I was worried about break-ins due to it being thinner. Would I get better gas mileage of it had a 6x10 enclosed?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-02-2008, 11:38 AM
6 by 10 is kind of small; but, to each his own. Go with a single torsion axle.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
1 County and 900 miles per week? I cover 7 counties and only do about 500 tops... 400 if I can move quickly.

stuffdeer
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
1 County and 900 miles per week? I cover 7 counties and only do about 500 tops... 400 if I can move quickly.

Moving quicker doesnt mean you cover less ground. You cover the same amount in a quicker time?

Now a tighter route, that would shave 100 miles off.

lawnscapesLLC
01-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I would not worry about break ins too much-- even the thicker metal on 18 wheeler trailers can cut be thru with a pair of cheap tin snips.

LawnTamer
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Holy Crap, 900 miles/wk! Wow! I hope they pay you crazy well. I'm kickin' myself cuz my longest day is 50, wish they were all about 20-25 tops.

Anyway, a 6x10 trailer will be just fine, with a single 3,500# axle. I have a 6x10 open and a 7x14 enclosed, we use the 6x10 8 times as much as the enclosed. Easier to drive, easier to tow and big enough for 2 36" mowers, 2 21s and all the blowers, trimmers, edgers etc.

If you plan on getting bigger equipment, get a bigger trailer. 6.5 x 12 is a very nice size.

Enclosed are nice, but if I was driving 900 miles a week, I would want something as light and low profile as possible.

Towing an enclosed is like towing a sail.

fastcat
01-02-2008, 03:39 PM
i have a 5x10 and it is way to small. i only carry 42 ztr and hand tools and its getting smaller and smaller all the time it seems. i will be getting a 16' this spring.

Petr51488
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Go enclosed so you can advertise on your cross country 900 mile trip lol That way you can add a few accounts along the way from place to place.

American_Lawn
01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about getting an enclosed trailer, one with a v-nose. It was 6by 10 with a 3 foot v on the front. So over all the trailer was 13feetlong but the box was 6X10 and I could put shelves in the V. Would that be better? I am trying to allocate some of my work in the farther areas, but most of my jobs are grouped closely together, just spread out. OH well, the money is good and it is easy due to just the mow and go. It evens out. I am thinking about getting one of those ford rangers and putting a flat bed on there. Any ideas? I was going to buy a new truck, but I dont want to put those kind of miles on a new one.

Petr51488
01-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I went with an enclosed simply because it keeps my equipment out of the elements. I don't advertise on it either.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Moving quicker doesnt mean you cover less ground. You cover the same amount in a quicker time?

Now a tighter route, that would shave 100 miles off.

The faster we go the more ground we are able to cover without going back to the shop. More stops per day for us means less miles in a week.

Hogjaw
01-02-2008, 10:57 PM
American

I'd go ahead with a 16' trailer.

Also, I'd sure split the tailgate......

Hogjaw
01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I would not worry about break ins too much-- even the thicker metal on 18 wheeler trailers can cut be thru with a pair of cheap tin snips.

........man, 900 miles a week.....they'd have to pull up along side him in the straight away to break in...//American - you gonna get old fast if you're doing that yourself.

B&M
01-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I have a contract that gives me 150 cuts a week and it covers an entire county. It is just mow blow and go. 120 miles pr day.

Sounds like us, just as long as you are making money. By the way go for a 16ft trailer.

American_Lawn
01-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Sounds like us, just as long as you are making money. By the way go for a 16ft trailer.

Can I ask why the 16ft trailer. I know for the purpose if I grow, but man, that will drain my gas like crazy. Remember I only use a 1 32, 1-2 21, 2 trimmers and 2 blowers. I think I would have tons of space on a 16ft trailer, which is not a bad thing, but I would think it is when driving that much. I guess I can just suck it up and watch my profits go down while hauling that trailer around. I dont even want to think about the drag from the gate either.:cry: I might lean towards a 6x10, caged in, or does anyone recommend a v-nose enclosed?

nt1
01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
TANDEM AXEL!!!!

I would assume there would be many highway miles driving 900 miles a week.
The last thing you would want is a blowout on the highway with a loaded single axel.

B&M
01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Can I ask why the 16ft trailer. I know for the purpose if I grow, but man, that will drain my gas like crazy. Remember I only use a 1 32, 1-2 21, 2 trimmers and 2 blowers. I think I would have tons of space on a 16ft trailer, which is not a bad thing, but I would think it is when driving that much. I guess I can just suck it up and watch my profits go down while hauling that trailer around. I dont even want to think about the drag from the gate either.:cry: I might lean towards a 6x10, caged in, or does anyone recommend a v-nose enclosed?

We pull a 16ft trailer with a 6ft 10 inch gate pulled by 03 f-250 / 5.4 ,and the gas mileage is not as bad as you might think. Our longest day is over 165 miles and we burn about a half tank 16 to 18 gallons. By the way once you have a 16ft trailer you will find ways to use it.

American_Lawn
01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
We pull a 16ft trailer with a 6ft 10 inch gate pulled by 03 f-250 / 5.4 ,and the gas mileage is not as bad as you might think. Our longest day is over 165 miles and we burn about a half tank 16 to 18 gallons. By the way once you have a 16ft trailer you will find ways to use it.

Thanks I will look into getting a 16ft. I came up with the idea today of adding a man and a 36 to my list to mow the fronts and the 32 for the backs. Then I will have a guy trim and blow. I should mow about 40 a day with that method and then I can advertise to get some more customers for the later part of the week close to my area. Thanks to the responses and I will look ino a tandem axel. Will I get less mileage with a double axel vs a single axel? Or is there not that much of a difference.

Hogjaw
01-04-2008, 01:18 AM

Don't have it built extra heavy duty.

Our regular "stock' trailers without metal wire sides front and ends pull good.
Don't make sides 6' to 8' tall out of heavyi duty material. Two to three foot sides made from litter material may suffice for you. Don't build anything up from square or rectangle like off the floor 3 to 5 feet because that will sure catch air.

As far as the tailgate, use two pieces of catwalk.........that way you don't have to be constantly lifting / lowering a lot of weight with the common gate most of us use.

Covering that much territory, I would imagine sometime this year you will be asked to quote on additional work for others which you may be interested in .....never know........so there's my reasoning...........

Also, with this new account, where do you want to be with it in 2 to 3 or maybe 5 years? Let's look more in the future than only down at our feet.

You take care man and be careful!

American_Lawn
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Don't have it built extra heavy duty.

Our regular "stock' trailers without metal wire sides front and ends pull good.
Don't make sides 6' to 8' tall out of heavyi duty material. Two to three foot sides made from litter material may suffice for you. Don't build anything up from square or rectangle like off the floor 3 to 5 feet because that will sure catch air.

As far as the tailgate, use two pieces of catwalk.........that way you don't have to be constantly lifting / lowering a lot of weight with the common gate most of us use.

Covering that much territory, I would imagine sometime this year you will be asked to quote on additional work for others which you may be interested in .....never know........so there's my reasoning...........

Also, with this new account, where do you want to be with it in 2 to 3 or maybe 5 years? Let's look more in the future than only down at our feet.

You take care man and be careful!

I hope to be able to have a crew for this account so I can pickup some clients along the way. Thanks for the info, I am about to go to a dealer and take pics of the options that I want him to put on the trailer.

American_Lawn
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok I have made up my mind and I am stuck between a 6x10 or 6x12 with 4ft sides. I will be putting a 3500# axle under the trailer also. What do you guys recommed for the flooring and do you have your trimmer racks inside or outside the trailer?