PDA

View Full Version : Niche services

B & A Lawn Care
01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
What are the services that you have discovered that you do or know someone who does, that most lawn company's don't do. It could also be outside of the lawn industry but, in a similiar field.

ICT Bill
01-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Spraying compost teas and doing organic lawn care
OK that was a shameless plug for the organic lawn forum on here

Marcos
01-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm not ashamed to say that I do a fair amount of moss control on roof tops !
This year during the drought I was able to expand that biz quite a lot, as well as a new endeavor of landscape lighting (that I tried out on my own yard 1st!)

I discovered I had all the stuff I needed a few years ago : the nerve :cry: , the safety equipment ( I've had a rock-climbing itch from way back...), and of course all the hand tanks, etc. that I'd need to apply the stuff.

I just hooked up with a fellow at Sherwin-Williams for the products, and I was in business.

...but my wife hates it when I talk about the roofs I sometimes work on! :dizzy:

My philosophy is to try to learn something new in the industry every winter, and summer too, if it's like last summer!

GreenT
01-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Hedge and palm trimming. For some reason people around here can't get anybody to do it.

My rate is about $125/hour :cool2: :weightlifter:

integrityman
01-03-2008, 02:01 AM
May sound silly, but i do a lot of gutter cleaning. Relatively simple, no mechanical equipment. Charge by the hour or the job.

BMFD92
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Deer Fencing

Exact Rototilling
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Deer FencingNever thought of that one - Great idea!

Do you advertise? How do you market it?

Foz
01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Marcos;

Can you give me some information or a web site about the moss control products?

rcreech
01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I have found Mole Control to be my favorite added service right behind Perimeter Pest Control.

Mole control is great $$$$ and it is nice to do it for a change of the everyday thing.

Use Talparid!

Marcos
01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Marcos;

Can you give me some information or a web site about the moss control products?

You replied, and two people PM'ed me with the same question !

Go to jomaps.com

The product I use is M1 Roof Cleaner Concentrate, and Sherwin-Williams special orders it for me.

( I have also used what they keep on their shelf- M1 House Wash Concentrate- but I didn't like it near as much)

BMFD92
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Never thought of that one - Great idea!

Do you advertise? How do you market it?

around my area it is big. I sent a letter out to customers each year asking if they want it and then its usually word of mouth

we just started doing it this year and we did a couple of them and they turned out very profitable

Dynamic
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
We do alot of tree removal and trimming. The only reason that I started that is I used to be a logger.

David Grass
01-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I got a turfteq sidewinder with bed opener and groomer blades, charge 50 cents or less per linear foot depending on how much is to be done. It is FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and I am way below the national average of 80 cents to a dollar or more a linear foot. This is a very expensive unit, but is a dream to use, and puts you at lawyer's income even if only for an hour at a time, lol.

humble1
01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Aerating is good, most guys hate it i love it I run a $99 special for 5000 sq ft then $25 per 1000 sq ft, its good money

Exact Rototilling
01-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Aerating is good, most guys hate it i love it I run a $99 special for 5000 sq ft then $25 per 1000 sq ft, its good money

What kind of aerator are you running? I'm open to recommendations. I'm looking at the Plugr 850HD or the Ryan 28?

I'm looking @ becoming the premier Co. in my area for aeration. payup My goal is that over 50% of my cash flow is from this service alone. What I like about these one time or annual services is that it's a bit more challenging than showing up at the same place week after week for mowing and they pay you at the time for service.

Rototilling has been a good niche service in my area, but the season is short - ends in June. I'm thinking about raising my rates but I'm not sure if the market will bear it. There are several low ballers who only charge $25 to $35 per garden. My minimum charge is $49 and that covers up to one hour which is most smaller gardens. More often than not I'm done in 40 min or less. Thinking about raising it to $59, $69 or $79 for the first hour?;)

humble1
01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
my friend has a plugger and can drink a coffee in one hand while he does a lawn. You cant do that with any other brand, plus you get more holes per sq ft and deep penetration. Myself i use a front mount JRCO and can bang out some area w/ out breaking a sweat, use a bluebird around the edge or fenced in area., i throw down seed for an upsell.

NLS1
01-08-2008, 12:42 AM
I have found Mole Control to be my favorite added service right behind Perimeter Pest Control.

Mole control is great $$$$ and it is nice to do it for a change of the everyday thing.

Use Talparid!

Now that's a great idea, I've used that stuff on yards for friends and family, wow, why didn't I think of that!

Great site here, I love Plowsite, but now it's time for summer thinkin' again.

NLS1
01-08-2008, 12:47 AM
I will be buying a Dodge 5500 later this year with a Swaploader hooklift and I plan to advertise dumpster service, the smaller ones. Easy money and would be good fill in work all year.
Aeration, fert., post emergent spray, dethatching in spring, and don't forget to upsell gravel removal from the boulevard with the PAS and Pro Paddle in the spring!!!

Marcos
01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
This isn't really a niche service per se, but it's a good winter time public service and environmental thing...and something to add 'brownie points' next to your business name if you're looking to do something like that:

Once every November or December I get a call from a guy I know, that I used to work with, from the Five Rivers / Montgomery Co Metroparks.

His never-ending agenda is to combat the oh so invasive bush honeysuckle ( Lonicera maackii ) And he needs all the help he can get! :cry:

What he does during this period is enlist the help of about 4 to 5 landscape professionals from the area to commit to a series of potential park "clean up dates"; to be the leaders of scores of ARMED HOMEOWNERS marching in with assorted pruning and cutting weaponry !! :laugh:

What's neat about this is that I work hand in hand right next to homeowners and other landscapers, etc... no 'pressure' sales by anyone, just volunteers trying to help out the park district.

What's neat is that it just comes out naturally during the day, a few times here or there, that homeowners or businessmen come up and start up conversations about this or that with myself or the other landscapers.
And then after a while a name and number gets scribbled down, or a card handed over... :rolleyes:

(By the way...the honeysuckle stumps ARE sprayed with MEGA doses of glyphosate...but later, not until spring when the 1st signs of growth are seen)

Swampy
01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Its just easier to list
List of services:
Mowing
Plant install
Tree install up to 3in
Mulching
Lawn install
Aerating
Chemical Applications for lawns
Edging
Bed install
Bed Maintenance
Brush Cutting
Snow Plowing/Removal
Shrub pruning/hedging/removal

Future services:
Light Trucking
Parking lot cleaning
Christmas lighting
Skid steer services

When I get done with college:
Pond construction
Irrigation
Landscape Lighting
Arborculture
Larger Tree Installs
Hardscapes
Aquascapes
Landscape Design

2 clowns mowing
01-08-2008, 07:06 AM
think about this a moment. what is in almost every yard and it's hard to get rid of? ... tree limbs that have fallen and has piled up over time. we have a eliet limb shredder that is self propelled and we can drive it into the customers back yard or with the conveyor that's on it can dump into a wheel barrow or in the back of our truck. it shreds the limbs into usable mulch that customers can keep or we can haul away. we charge by the hour at $80 an hour and we are busy all the time shredding limb piles.check out eliet at www.elietmachines.com they are located in Pittsburgh pa and have free demos. don't try to do this shredding with any other shredder i have and it doesn't work.this is a great job to do when your waiting for the grass to dry out or thru the winter months