PDA

View Full Version : Stressing out!!!!

bigw
01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
starting to stress out i got so much going on at once....My truck is getting logo's and lettering as i type...my trailer co will be calling me to come pick up my new 8x16 enclosed trailer any day now...i have ten thousand post cards on the UPS truck on the way...i have a dewalt cordless impact gun orderd and cant get a dam answer as to where it is???...I have 30 shirts being printed as i type...my quick 36 super duty will be here friday and i have to pick it up at the roadway trucking plant...i also have a 4ft hole dug in my ground for my sign that i am having designed which should be done any day now not to mention everything else i have to do around here :cry:...anybody feel for me? p.s. good thing i got this "MILLER CHILL" IN MY HAND

racer56
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Feel the same way... Starting over in a new area and setting everything from advertising, business cards co. uniforms, trailer signage and such. Bob Parsons (godaddy.com) would tell you to get out and stay out of your confort zone. I agree and am trying to live by his rules to life and business. go to godaddy.com and find them or I think bobparsons.com. I have always been guilty of staying in my confort zone bad paid the price for it as well. I'm trying to enjoy the off-season some while our children are home for Christmas break. I don't see them much when things get going but going to work on that some as well this time. Good luck to you...

HOOLIE
01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
And it's only Jan. 2nd.............

Valk
01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
For God's sake, drop that beverage...and get a BEER!:laugh:

bigw
01-02-2008, 05:24 PM
For God's sake, drop that beverage...and get a BEER!:laugh:

lmao i usally dont drink this stuff.im actually a YINGLING guy myself.It was a christmas gift from a friend...case of chill,,,its actually not too bad.

BUCKEYE MOWING
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
lmao i usally dont drink this stuff.im actually a YINGLING guy myself.It was a christmas gift from a friend...case of chill,,,its actually not too bad.

Yuengling is good beer.....and its pretty cheap !....to bad we cannot get the stuff in Ohio.

bigw
01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Yuengling is good beer.....and its pretty cheap !....to bad we cannot get the stuff in Ohio.

thats funny because its made right here in Pa...close enough i would think.

BUCKEYE MOWING
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
You would think...but its distributed only down the east coast...makes no sense at all...Their website shows a map and its odd at best.

bigw
01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
You would think...but its distributed only down the east coast...makes no sense at all...Their website shows a map and its odd at best.

i could bootleg some to you :weightlifter:

Valk
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Drinking a Chill-pill...HA! :cool2:

You scored with that 36! After a lot of research around this site - I believe you made a great choice.
Have decided to get a 32 here. Will be a better 'fit' (for some of my important gates) than the 36. Gonna be fun!

BUCKEYE MOWING
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
i could bootleg some to you :weightlifter:

LOL....come on over

flakebortch
01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
starting to stress out i got so much going on at once....My truck is getting logo's and lettering as i type...my trailer co will be calling me to come pick up my new 8x16 enclosed trailer any day now...i have ten thousand post cards on the UPS truck on the way...i have a dewalt cordless impact gun orderd and cant get a dam answer as to where it is???...I have 30 shirts being printed as i type...my quick 36 super duty will be here friday and i have to pick it up at the roadway trucking plant...i also have a 4ft hole dug in my ground for my sign that i am having designed which should be done any day now not to mention everything else i have to do around here :cry:...anybody feel for me? p.s. good thing i got this "MILLER CHILL" IN MY HAND

Damn Big Daddy! You are going balls to the wall. I was going to tell you to chill out, but now I'm starting to freak out too. I'm starting up in the spring as well. I, however, haven't gotten nearly as much accomplished as you have. It's tough to feel any urgency with a foot of snow on the ground. I think I'll put down my SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE and finish my logo. :drinkup: Good luck!

LawnTamer
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Why such a big trailer for a Q36?

bigw
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Damn Big Daddy! You are going balls to the wall. I was going to tell you to chill out, but now I'm starting to freak out too. I'm starting up in the spring as well. I, however, haven't gotten nearly as much accomplished as you have. It's tough to feel any urgency with a foot of snow on the ground. I think I'll put down my SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE and finish my logo. :drinkup: Good luck!

Thats nothing heres a list of everything that i have done since the first week of november..and all the truth...Told my boss to go pound sand, made up my mind i was going to start my own business in lawn care,bought a 2004 F250 FX4 superduty with 18k miles on it, bought a brand new Boss V 8.2 snow plow,bought a new 8x 16 enclosed trailer with racks and ez track floor,everything will be like my logo in black.bought a new walk behind salt spreader,bought a brand new 60"exmark lazer z with the triton deck,bought a new t-242 shindaiwa trimmer,new shindaiwa HT2510 hedge trimmer,new echo pb755 back pack blower,misc tools,gas cans,wheel barrel,misc shovels and rake,chose a company name,designed my logo"which is on the bottom of my post",had 1000 business cards made,got 10,000 local address's of single homes in my area,got lables printed of those homes and designed my own post cards which are on the way to me now,bought gopher,got 17 contracts for snow clearing,just 2 so far for lawn care,one for 40$ a cut and one for 60${it's a start}bought a new QUICK 36 which will be here friday,got a sign made for my yard,had 30 shirts made,got graphics designed and going on my truck and soon trailer....ok im sure i missed a bunch but you get the point lol.!! oh not to mention the countless hrs ive spent doing homework and trying to learn all i can! "NOW THATS BALLS TO THE WALLS"

fastcat
01-03-2008, 12:27 AM

were did you get the post card from. and price if you dont mind sharing

bigw
01-03-2008, 12:52 AM
were did you get the post card from. and price if you dont mind sharing

"printsmadeeasy.com" i payed 450 shipped for 10,000

STRINGALATION
01-03-2008, 01:11 AM
you are off to a great physical and finacial start. just remember to hang in there if things start to suck keep your boys to the wall for 3 years and you will be fine good luck and blessings

bigw
01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
you are off to a great physical and finacial start. just remember to hang in there if things start to suck keep your boys to the wall for 3 years and you will be fine good luck and blessings

THANKS I NEED ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT I CAN GET RIGHT NOW!!!

Wells
01-03-2008, 10:46 PM
All of those expences and only 2 clients???
Did I read that correctly???

I would be very nervous to be in your shoes right now, you have incurred more then 50,000 dollars of debt and have almost no clientele, at this rate your going to end up equipment rich but cash poor.

Many new LCO's that try to start out the way you are starting usually end up throwing in the towel before the middle of their first season due to financial issues. I hope you were able to put plenty of money away before you told your boss to pound sand.

Based on the amount of money you've already put out and the amount that is still to come due to normal operating expenses I would expect that you'll be in the "RED" this whole season, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to you if you've done your homework.

Big C
01-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Man, I am starting up on a much smaller budget...spent about $2700 so far with $2400 of it being on a Q36 S/D w/ stepsaver....will use the blower/trimmer and edger I currently own. 5X12 Pro Pull trialer and 99 Dodge P/U. All of my items are paid for cash...I am planning on spending possibly another $1200 or so for another trimmer ($350), insurance ($500) and business cards/door hangers and 2 mag. truck signs($300)....trying to keep my expenses to a min. Trying to keep it under $5000 was my goal....that's just me though...different strokes......for different folks!!!

RedCastle
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Big W,

I'm new and haven't even purchased a truck yet! I did 5 customers this past season bringing my 21" mower in the trunk of my saturn!! funny i know...2 clients maynot seem like alot but stay positive and you will get more!! just drop your snow customers a flyer w/their bills advertising you do work all year and you will get a couple of them. and remember this they say it takes 5 yrs for a business to know if it's going to last.. 1st yr learning yr and working to payoff the debt incurred in starting..same for 2nd by the 3rd yr you should be better off and each yr after that.

I will give you some great advice- if you haven't done so stop and write a business plan!! most business that fail have skipped this huge step. and once you business plan is done keep reviewing it and changing it!! it's a great guide to where you want your business to go and what your focus is!! i've been working on my bp since you started buying equipment and i'm just about done. there's also a great software pkg that helps business plan pro 2007.
thats what i recommend stay positive and if you offer it they will come..spin off from field of dreams

STRINGALATION
01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
also big w this is a great site and i mean great but.............................. expect to be flamed, reamed, talk'd about like a dog, ridiculed and so on. but if you can't take it here then the public will eat you alive. stay good and strong and remeber plenty of biz open with no custermers u seem to have working capital so hey if you have not heard

welcome to LAWNSITE.COM

bigw
01-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Why such a big trailer for a Q36?

Obviously you havent read far enough.

LawnTamer
01-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Obviously you havent read far enough.

I would point out that when I asked the question, it was before you mentioned all the other stuff you've bought, like the Lazer. I hope you have $$$$ in savings or something.:laugh::laugh:

bigw
01-04-2008, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=Wells;2084412]All of those expences and only 2 clients???
Did I read that correctly???

I would be very nervous to be in your shoes right now, you have incurred more then 50,000 dollars of debt and have almost no clientele, at this rate your going to end up equipment rich but cash poor.

Many new LCO's that try to start out the way you are starting usually end up throwing in the towel before the middle of their first season due to financial issues. I hope you were able to put plenty of money away before you told your boss to pound sand.

Based on the amount of money you've already put out and the amount that is still to come due to normal operating expenses I would expect that you'll be in the "RED" this whole season, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to you if you've done your homework.[/QUOTE

How we speak before we know??? What debt are you refering too? If you must know i payed cash for 98% of everything,oh and my wife makes how much?And i have how much money put away? wow im glad you have so much faith in me,I will succeed because i wont let myself fail.I am very determined to make this work or i wouldnt have went this far,i have been in sales for 20 yrs and know how to sell myself and a product or service.I just started this entire mission in november and spent most of the past 2 months aquiring snow plowing accounts..17 as of now which will add up to 2,225$ "everytime" it snows.Which by the way will be less then 9 hrs work,See if you new me you wouldnt think like you are.You are the same person that told me i couldnt sell cars,or couldnt win the MR pennsylvania contest back in 1995,not only did i win the contest but i was the # 1 salesman at the biggest used car dealership in the east coast for the past 5 years.Sure i could have bought a 20" mower and a piece of sh#@ truck but i decided to do this right and look professional from the start, I thank you for doubting me and bringing negativity to my goals because its people like you that make me want to succeed even more!

bigw
01-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Oh and one more thing, i know far more "fly by the pants,weekend warriors,old beat up equipment,no insurance,poor appearence,non professional,low balling,not prepaired guys" that have failed in this business then i do guys that "are prepaired,have nice equipment,done their homework,look professional,advertise,know how to network,make a business plan,set goals,have insurance" and if you dont believe that just look at the big succesful LCO'S in your area and see for yourself.

LawnTamer
01-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Easy there killer... Wells wasn't trying to put you down. He was offering a suggestion to be helpful. We don't know that you have savings, or that your wife makes bank, and the truth is that most guys who go out of the gate with large investments in equipment, (bought with credit), fall flat on their faces. They end up desperately lowballing trying to keep their equipment busy enough to make payments and put food on the table.
Got to have thick skin if you want to make and publish all your decisions on a public forum.

bigw
01-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Easy there killer... Wells wasn't trying to put you down. He was offering a suggestion to be helpful. We don't know that you have savings, or that your wife makes bank, and the truth is that most guys who go out of the gate with large investments in equipment, (bought with credit), fall flat on their faces. They end up desperately lowballing trying to keep their equipment busy enough to make payments and put food on the table.
Got to have thick skin if you want to make and publish all your decisions on a public forum.

Thats how it sounded to me,im just so tired of the negativity from so many people.I just wish once in awhile id hear alitle more positive and good luck and sounds good type of stuff ya know,i already worry enough as it is i dont need so much put down.

bigw
01-04-2008, 03:44 AM
hey wells i apologize for coming off strong like that i just want to stay positive right now,no hard feelings!!

Stillwater
01-04-2008, 05:04 AM
Please don't be offended, You never pro-offered the finer details of your bootstrapping your start up. Most lco's in America start off with a whimper you describe your start up with a BANG! Most likely everyone that has read your posts assumed debt. If lawn site members did not immediately jump on this and confront you with what everyone hear knows causes the death of most new LCO's then what good would lawnsite be?

bigw
01-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Please don't be offended, You never pro-offered the finer details of your bootstrapping your start up. Most lco's in America start off with a whimper you describe your start up with a BANG! Most likely everyone that has read your posts assumed debt. If lawn site members did not immediately jump on this and confront you with what everyone hear knows causes the death of most new LCO's then what good would lawnsite be?

You are right i guess i never did say how i got all the things that i have and most would assume major debt after reading my post. like i said im just tired of the negativity,some of us come here for encouragement and to learn and it seems like some people only want to find the bad in everything.

EngineeredLawns
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Stay positive. Do a good job for everyone. If you do a good job, your clients will let their friends know and you will get more work. If you sell yourself, you hopefully can start being selective on what clients you want and what work you will do in 2 or 3 years.

LawnTamer
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
If you have good sales skills, I recommend a marketing strategy that isn't very popular, but works quite well.

Go door to door. I'm serious. I had a sales background and started with 0 capitol. I spent $10 on some cheap one color flyers and started door to door. Within 2 days I had 40 clients. I started as just a fert. and squirt operation. I offered a pre-pay discount and got enough people to do it, that I was able to pay cash for all my equipment except my truck, which I was able to put a good down payment on.

Stillwater
01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
You are right i guess i never did say how i got all the things that i have and most would assume major debt after reading my post. like i said im just tired of the negativity,some of us come here for encouragement and to learn and it seems like some people only want to find the bad in everything.

ya, I know it sucks,....

topsites
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
You might want to slow down a little, you're more likely to end up hurting yourself if you keep getting excited like that.
So take it easy, it ain't going nowhere, trust me it will all still be here tomorrow, yes I am sure.

Haste makes waste or something.

Wells
01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
hey wells i apologize for coming off strong like that i just want to stay positive right now,no hard feelings!!

No problem.....I wasn't trying to bring you down but rather point out the obvious.

You should still consider the spending of 50K a debt even though you had it in savings because it's still money that has been spent and until you make that money back it's a debt against your personal account.

No matter if you borrowed the money or had it in an personal account to spend you're still in the "red" until you make back what you've already spent.

Good luck with business this year, keep us informed on how things are going.

STRINGALATION
01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
You should still consider the spending of 50K a debt even though you had it in savings because it's still money that has been spent and until you make that money back it's a debt against your personal account.

excellent point

hackitdown
01-04-2008, 12:32 PM

No matter if you borrowed the money or had it in an personal account to spend you're still in the "red" until you make back what you've already spent.

Another way to look at it is to consider depreciation.

If you assume that the $50K in business equipment assets will be worth $25K in 5 years (or whatever the actual numbers are), then you need to cover the $5,000 depreciation as a kind of fixed expense, not much different than payments. Disregarding the depreciation of assets would be fooling yourself. Good news: the depreciation may be a tax write-off.

As an example, I recently bought a truck and plow for $20K from a landscaper. He paid $30K for the truck in '04, and added a $4K plow. The truck and plow cost him $14K to own over the 3 years, or $4,666 per year in depreciation. If I sell it in 3 years, it may be worth less than $10K, costing me at least $3300 per year. That is real money...gone. Plus interest on a loan, etc. but that is another issue.

It is good news is that you pay no interest on a loan, but there is an opportunity cost associated with the $50K in cash being gone...you are no longer earning interest or investment gain on the cash. However, you save $$ when you don't pay interest on a loan.

Pretty simple, huh?

4curbappeal
01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Looks like you are getting all of your ducks in a row! You still have plenty of time. Don't stress out too much unless you are planning on mowing snow for the next 2 months! Good luck!!!

JayD
01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Thats nothing heres a list of everything that i have done since the first week of november..and all the truth...Told my boss to go pound sand, made up my mind i was going to start my own business in lawn care,bought a 2004 F250 FX4 superduty with 18k miles on it, bought a brand new Boss V 8.2 snow plow,bought a new 8x 16 enclosed trailer with racks and ez track floor,everything will be like my logo in black.bought a new walk behind salt spreader,bought a brand new 60"exmark lazer z with the triton deck,bought a new t-242 shindaiwa trimmer,new shindaiwa HT2510 hedge trimmer,new echo pb755 back pack blower,misc tools,gas cans,wheel barrel,misc shovels and rake,chose a company name,designed my logo"which is on the bottom of my post",had 1000 business cards made,got 10,000 local address's of single homes in my area,got lables printed of those homes and designed my own post cards which are on the way to me now,bought gopher,got 17 contracts for snow clearing,just 2 so far for lawn care,one for 40$ a cut and one for 60${it's a start}bought a new QUICK 36 which will be here friday,got a sign made for my yard,had 30 shirts made,got graphics designed and going on my truck and soon trailer....ok im sure i missed a bunch but you get the point lol.!! oh not to mention the countless hrs ive spent doing homework and trying to learn all i can! "NOW THATS BALLS TO THE WALLS"

Man.........Wheres this money tree you have seemed to have found?:laugh:

Stillwater
01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Man.........Wheres this money tree you have seemed to have found?:laugh:

funny thing hear..... not everyone is poor or low on cash starting out

LAwnpro13
01-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Big W... think you got STRESS? Just think about the poor guy that has to do your taxes this year!:dizzy:

That guys going to need a damn KEG to get through your taxes:laugh:

Relax and it will come, and it will be good!!!!!

bigw
01-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Big W... think you got STRESS? Just think about the poor guy that has to do your taxes this year!:dizzy:

That guys going to need a damn KEG to get through your taxes:laugh:

Relax and it will come, and it will be good!!!!!

Thats why he makes the big bucks and he aint mowing lawns :laugh: thanks for the encouragement.

Stillwater
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
what kind of racks did you get for the enclosed trailer?

bigw
01-06-2008, 01:43 AM
what kind of racks did you get for the enclosed trailer?

BLOWER RACK ,HEDGE TRIMMER RACK,WEED EATER RACKS.

bigw
01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Too Be Exact "green Touch"

bigw
01-06-2008, 01:56 AM
And Still To Come...

Stillwater
01-06-2008, 02:23 AM
how long is the hedge trimmer rack?

bigw
01-06-2008, 02:45 AM
how long is the hedge trimmer rack?

NOT SURE WHY?

Stillwater
01-06-2008, 02:47 AM
I was just thinking on where it could be mounted

bigw
01-06-2008, 02:55 AM
I was just thinking on where it could be mounted

its probably about 2-2 1/2 feet

PlatinumLandCon
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
BigW,
I think you're starting out really intelligently. You might not have all the clients you want from the get-go but because of your professional image, you'll get calls left, right, and center for new work because you look like you've been doing it for years. I think if you've got the cash, its really smart to start off like you are. I've only got $5000 to do everything including buy a truck so I'm a bit tighter that you are:dizzy:

Good luck with everything, I'll be following your threads to learn more because you're asking all the questions I would:drinkup:

bigw
01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
BigW,
I think you're starting out really intelligently. You might not have all the clients you want from the get-go but because of your professional image, you'll get calls left, right, and center for new work because you look like you've been doing it for years. I think if you've got the cash, its really smart to start off like you are. I've only got $5000 to do everything including buy a truck so I'm a bit tighter that you are:dizzy:

Good luck with everything, I'll be following your threads to learn more because you're asking all the questions I would:drinkup:

thanks man and good luck to you!!!

GreenNation
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
We started up much the same way you have described. We did our homework and then made our decisions. No regrets here, only in our second full season, just had a new trailer delivered today, got a call from a major commercial contract today aggreeing to a very nice yearly contract, then also today, got a huge residential maint. contract. Not bad considering it is Jan. 7th. Go for it, don't look back! I love this business, and it sounds like you are educated enough to know what you are doing!! Good Luck!!

1MajorTom
01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Thats how it sounded to me,im just so tired of the negativity from so many people.I just wish once in awhile id hear alitle more positive and good luck and sounds good type of stuff ya know,i already worry enough as it is i dont need so much put down.

Here's Matt's cheer for you. Gimme a "B", gimme a "I", gimme a "G", gimme a "W',
what's that say?? BIG W!!!!!!!!!

Btw, that's the other "Big W"... George incase you don't recognize him.
Sounds like you desperately need a cheerleader.

In the second picture
Here's your cure for all your stresses:
Don't stress it, press it, sold exclusively at Staples. $4.99

Best of luck in your future endeavor.

Matt

Stillwater
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey where is my cheer?

Paradise Landscapes
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey where is my cheer?

Here:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTbx5MxIJHGAMBuEOjzbkF/SIG=1292abe23/EXP=1199838668/**http%3A//www.flickr.com/photos/13322540@N05/1817085878/

Stillwater
01-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Here:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTbx5MxIJHGAMBuEOjzbkF/SIG=1292abe23/EXP=1199838668/**http%3A//www.flickr.com/photos/13322540@N05/1817085878/

nice!!!!!!!!

bigw
01-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Here:

now thats what im talking about :weightlifter:

barefeetny
01-08-2008, 03:48 AM
hahaha i have a EZ button glued to the dash next to the hula girl........

although our buisness plans are much diffrent ( I could set my truck and equitment on fire and be out 3-4 grand) I think you will be fine.

This is not only a service industry, but sales as well. With your background in sales you should be able to sell yourself and your image..

i would be real stressed, but payments, overhead and working that hard to turn a profit is not my cup of tea. i need a sugar mama lol

good luck
Nate