PDA

View Full Version : Duramax, 1st oil change.

lawn king
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Im getting the first oil change done at the dealer tomorrow. I have to get my inspection sticker anyway so i thought i would have them drop the break in oil (1400 miles). I guess you have to pull a wheel well panel to get to the filter and i want them to show me how to do it.

Petr51488
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
The first oil change is due at 1400? I have 2600 on mine. I thought it was at or around 3k? You should get your front/rear diff changed too to get all the metal shavings out of there. The tranny fluid/filter should also be done too.

L&L
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah I would say 1400 is a little early especially for a diesel. They put special oil to help the break in process and draining it early could be a problem. I have 3000 miles on mine and I will probably change it around 4000K

tthomass
01-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm about at 6k and will be going in soon. Never heard any such thing about an early change from anyone including the dealer.

lawn king
01-03-2008, 08:49 AM
I have pushed lots of snow already (severe duty).

TXNSLighting
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
interesting...i bought my doodge brand new, and didnt change the oil til 8000 miles...

jimslawns
01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Why would you have to pull out the fender well, that is the fuel filter up there, it can be done with out removing anything.

Allison Transmission, I change the spin on filter each oil change. (about 5K) Fuel filter 10K. Do Not Get YOUR Allison Filter from GM, they were charging $38 bucks. The local Allison Dealer (exact Filter) is less than $10

SiteSolutions
01-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Ford oil is way more versatile and way more fun to change.

the cleaner
01-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Im getting the first oil change done at the dealer tomorrow. I have to get my inspection sticker anyway so i thought i would have them drop the break in oil (1400 miles). I guess you have to pull a wheel well panel to get to the filter and i want them to show me how to do it.

This truck has the easiest filters to change.It takes me about 15 min to do the oil and filter, and the fuel filter.If you need to know how let me know, also get yourself a Fumoto Valve it makes changing your oil simple and clean no spills. Google fumoto valve..

Fieldman12
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
On my new one they wanted to change the oil at 3,000. I took it in and let them change it. At 1400 miles in my honest opinion that is way too early. After the first oil change you should be fine at 6,000. I read an article a while back on oil and they said cars and trucks should be fine every 6,000. I have been doing it for a few years now and cannot tell any difference than when I changed earlier except for the added cost of oil and filters.

the cleaner
01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
On my new one they wanted to change the oil at 3,000. I took it in and let them change it. At 1400 miles in my honest opinion that is way too early. After the first oil change you should be fine at 6,000. I read an article a while back on oil and they said cars and trucks should be fine every 6,000. I have been doing it for a few years now and cannot tell any difference than when I changed earlier except for the added cost of oil and filters.

I change my oil useing the computer DIC in my truck. I believe that the computer goes buy hours running, It works out to be around every 7000 miles.I get my filters at Napa and i use only Shell Rotella T 15-40 this is the best dino oil out there. This oil has been in big rigs for million's of miles, good enough for me..I dont belive that synthetic oil is worth the extra money unless you are going to go 10,000 miles + between changes.

the cleaner
01-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Why would you have to pull out the fender well, that is the fuel filter up there, it can be done with out removing anything.

Allison Transmission, I change the spin on filter each oil change. (about 5K) Fuel filter 10K. Do Not Get YOUR Allison Filter from GM, they were charging $38 bucks. The local Allison Dealer (exact Filter) is less than $10

I get all my filters at Napa they carry all of them including the tranny spin on, which i change every 10,000 miles. Just remember the tranny spin on has the magnet in it which needs to be re installed in the new spin on..