PDA

View Full Version : grapple bucket choice ??

P.Services
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
the tree service job i am finishing up is posing a small problem. originally i planned on loading all the wood by hand into my Kodiak so i cut it all into 2 and 3 foot chunks. now that i have a ctl coming to do the work i need to decide what to use to load it. i could use a normal dirt bucket but this would be slow and load only a few pieces at a time, then i thought of using a snow bucket but i dont think thats a bright idea. i think i may buy one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/60-Grapple-root-rake-bobcat-cat-attachment-Skid-Ste
er_W0QQitemZ160114907074QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50908QQcmdZViewItem
but i dont think it will be able to hold alot because the tines dont extend under it very much to "carry" the chunks as opposed to holding them in with pressure. the one i want and think would work best is this http://cgi.ebay.com/72-Industrial-Heavy-Duty-Skid-Steer-Grapple-Attachment_W0QQitemZ160114961457QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50908QQcmdZViewItem
but its kinda a lot to pay for a grapple. i also have a bunch of 20' long 3' around logs that i cut once i knew i would be using a machine. from those that have done this kind of work before what would you recommend i use? what will load the small chunks the fastest and also move the big logs?

P.Services
01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
and while we discuss attachments im looking for a heavy duty set of forks also. the problem im having is the lower lip on the back gets bent so the forks just swing on the top pin. it happens when im pressing down with the tips and it pops the forks loose from the bottom. any one know of a hd set?

tnmtn
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
i have a root grapple simialr to the second one you have a link to. great to work with. i use it for heavy logs, concrete, debris. one thing to consider is the tines like they are do get bent on the ends sometimes. not a big issue just heat them up and straighten them back out. great attachment for the arsenal.
good luck,

talus
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I bought a Solesbee's root grapple for my sr 80. It works great for for what your trying to do. The second one that you have posted from quick attach is very pricey and I don't like that the grapple is one big piece. Grabbing different sized pieces of whatever would be a pain. I got mine for $2300 for the 72" delivered to R.I. from Ga. I called on a Tuesday and was unloading off the truck on thursday. I have looked at a bunch of them and the Solesbee seem to be one of the best built units. That's just my opinion. You will love using the grapple it's so much easier and productive. Good luck.

Scag48
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Psst, a grapple bucket has less physical capacity than a dirt bucket, just so's you know. Just throw the chunks in a regular bucket and be done with it, the grappling ability does absolutely nothing or you if you've already broken the material down into pieces than can be handled by hand. By the time you buy a bucket, you'd eat up all the profit. But I'm sure you already knew that being the master landscaper that you are. As for the 20' sections, either buck them up or carry them with forks.

talus
01-03-2008, 06:26 PM
What kind of machine are you going to be lifting a 20' long 3' round logs with? Thats pretty heavy. I had some white oaks taken down that had to be over 110' high. They just cut the limbs in pieces from 3'-8'. They were all piled up on top of each other laying evrywich way. I got a hell of a price so I didn't mind doing the cleanup as long as the chipped the small stuff. One piece down near the trunk was about 3' round and maybe 10-12' long and the sr 80 could not lift it. I think Scag knows his stuff however I don't agree with his opinoin on this. Getting in and out of a machine,loading a few pieces of wood at a time is a pain. If it's one truckload thats one thing but by the looks of your other posts it appear tha a grapple would make your life much easier. I love it and use it more than I thought.

AWJ Services
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Grapples are over rated.
A tooth bucket does does a good job if you know how to operate the machine.:dancing:
I have loaded so many dumpsters with a tooth bucket it is second nature for me.

talus
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
You must get a kick out of all the guys using thumbs on excavators then. Why get a thumb when you can just curl the bucket to hold the rock against the dipper stick.LOL.

AWJ Services
01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I thought we were talking about skid steers ?
I guess my reading comprehension needs a little work.

talus
01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Your reading comprehension skills are fine. We were talking skid steer. However if you think you can move brush,firewood,demo debris, etc faster with a tooth bucket than a grapple I'd love to see it. I guess you missed the point I was trying to make. If you were going to put a fence post,would you use the tooth bucket or an auger? Yes it can be don with either but what do you think would be easier.

ksss
01-03-2008, 10:58 PM
A grapple is indispensable. I don't see how a tooth bucket or a 4-1 will duplicate what you can do with a grapple. Having the right tool for the job is the key to productivity IMHO.

Scag48
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I agree grapples are a great tool, I just don't think one would be applicable or cost effective in this guy's situation.

BrandonV
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
i have a combo bucket, we don't do a lot of tree work so it works out great, can pick up piles of junk and even logs.

ksss
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
My Virnig grapple bucket showed up at the CASE dealer today. I will get it home and get some pictures. I hope it is all that I thought it would be.

GradeMan
01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
What happened to the pics of the old case?

ksss
01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Here is my new bucket. It looks good. I wanted the hyd. ram to be completely enclosed as it was depicted in the photo when I bought it. I will have to check into that. It is just under 80"

allinearth
01-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, nice. It looks really cold there.:waving:

dozerman21
01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
That looks well built. I'm thinking of getting the same kind of grapple this spring. It would be nice to have the entire cylinder covered, but it seems like it would be tricky to make it work with the grapple open... seems like it would hit somewhere. On the Virnig website (link below) it doesn't show any cover at all over the cylinder. That could be just for advertisement. Nice looking skid:weightlifter:! It looks like you have the newer style door.

http://www.virnigmfg.com/Pages/Products/scrap_grapple_images_ind.html

ksss
01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Wow, nice. It looks really cold there.:waving:

And that is why my machines have cabs, cause ya it is cold.

allinearth
01-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Cold here is anything below 45.

ksss
01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Cold here is anything below 45.

Last year, it hit 43 below zero. It has not been that cold this year yet.

GradeMan
01-12-2008, 08:50 PM
hey ksss Is the grapple controlled seperate or together? [ the fingers] The case looks pretty sharp, can you see out the back window or does it have bad blind spots?

ksss
01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
hey ksss Is the grapple controlled seperate or together? [ the fingers] The case looks pretty sharp, can you see out the back window or does it have bad blind spots?

The grapples are controlled together. When gripping an object they go down independently until they hit something solid. Works great for gripping irregular sized objects.

The visibility to the rear is better than most. The visibility to the sides is about typical of vertical lift machines.

qps
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
And that is why my machines have cabs, cause ya it is cold.

not your mini...until recently:cool2:

ksss
01-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Yes I traded a little early just to get a cab. I couldn't take it anymore. I am either getting weaker or smarter, but certainly more broke. Last year I had to periodically idle the machine up high and put my feet in front of the exhaust just to keep my feet from freezing.:cry:

qps
01-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Yes I traded a little early just to get a cab. I couldn't take it anymore. I am either getting weaker or smarter, but certainly more broke. Last year I had to periodically idle the machine up high and put my feet in front of the exhaust just to keep my feet from freezing.:cry:

I'll say smarter....funny how a few years will do that to a guy:drinkup:

dozerman21
01-19-2008, 08:50 AM

I used to do the same thing on my dozer before I had cabs.:laugh: Man, I don't miss those days at all. I would even sit on top of the ROPS and do the same thing to my feet... my toes would feel like they wanted to break off. After a couple of rounds of thawing with the exhaust you get to have that nice "eau de exhaust" aroma for the rest of the day.

qps
01-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I used to do the same thing on my dozer before I had cabs.:laugh: Man, I don't miss those days at all. I would even sit on top of the ROPS and do the same thing to my feet... my toes would feel like they wanted to break off. After a couple of rounds of thawing with the exhaust you get to have that nice "eau de exhaust" aroma for the rest of the day.

I know where theres a nice cab model with your name on it.....warm,quiet,nice radio...:drinkup:

dozerman21
01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I know where theres a nice cab model with your name on it.....warm,quiet,nice radio...:drinkup:

I hope it has DirecTV and a 'fridge in it too, because I'll have to sell my house and live in it!:laugh: I guess I'd at least be close to work.:cool:

qps
01-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I hope it has DirecTV and a 'fridge in it too, because I'll have to sell my house and live in it!:laugh: I guess I'd at least be close to work.:cool:

those are options for the 09 model:clapping:

Fieldman12
01-19-2008, 02:34 PM

:laugh: I thought I was the only person that used the exhaust warm up trick. I dont have the demo dozer pic in front of me but that looks very similar in design. I like the pics of the Case.

SiteSolutions
01-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I ran a steam roller Wednesday for some friends with a bigger company. I had forgotten how cold a person can get. You're up high so nothing blocks the breeze, and then you get that mist coming off the drum sprayers... I had visions of jumping into the beds of the dump trucks bringing the asphalt. Had to settle for standing by the tailpipe and dancing around to get warm. Yuck.

ksss
01-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I ran a steam roller Wednesday for some friends with a bigger company. I had forgotten how cold a person can get. You're up high so nothing blocks the breeze, and then you get that mist coming off the drum sprayers... I had visions of jumping into the beds of the dump trucks bringing the asphalt. Had to settle for standing by the tailpipe and dancing around to get warm. Yuck.

Yet just think back 5 months ago in Aug. It was so dam hot in Huntsville, you would start sweating just thinking about going outside. Did it ever rain there or is it still dry?

ksss
01-20-2008, 01:44 AM

I actually melted my boot laces. Feet were so cold I could not feel the heat.

YellowDogSVC
01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Your reading comprehension skills are fine. We were talking skid steer. However if you think you can move brush,firewood,demo debris, etc faster with a tooth bucket than a grapple I'd love to see it. I guess you missed the point I was trying to make. If you were going to put a fence post,would you use the tooth bucket or an auger? Yes it can be don with either but what do you think would be easier.

I would have to agree. A good grapple is a necessity when moving brush and wood though a specific type of grapple is better for moving chunks and firewood efficiently. In fact, I would rather have a tooth bucket for firewood than try and use my industrial grapple for 16" or less pieces of wood if I had to move a lot. It can get frustrating having things fall through the tines but for longer pieces and brush, a grapple can't be beat. A grapple will reduce your ROC somewhat, though, so keep that in mind. a good one is a heavy piece of iron. My 66" weighs just over 900 lbs. That's about 300#'s more than my industrial 72" tooth bucket. Personally, I take both on most jobs unless I am sure I won't need my bucket or grapple. If I don't need one, I leave one home to save on hauling weight.

ksss
01-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I would have to agree. A good grapple is a necessity when moving brush and wood though a specific type of grapple is better for moving chunks and firewood efficiently. In fact, I would rather have a tooth bucket for firewood than try and use my industrial grapple for 16" or less pieces of wood if I had to move a lot. It can get frustrating having things fall through the tines but for longer pieces and brush, a grapple can't be beat. A grapple will reduce your ROC somewhat, though, so keep that in mind. a good one is a heavy piece of iron. My 66" weighs just over 900 lbs. That's about 300#'s more than my industrial 72" tooth bucket. Personally, I take both on most jobs unless I am sure I won't need my bucket or grapple. If I don't need one, I leave one home to save on hauling weight.

The reduced available ROC is an important consideration with these buckets. I really notice it loading concrete. Handles much different than a dirt bucket full of concrete.