PDA

View Full Version : Can I Get Some Good Opinions From The Pros

bigw
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I need to buy a good edger but dont want to spend 2k or more for a brown bed edger or even the 600 for the little wonder edger,lowes has a 4 wheel 4 cylinder edger for 235$ has anyone tried that? can you give me some part #s of some edgers i should be looking at. would this one work?

heres a pic and specs....... (4.2)

Heavy duty 9" triple-edge steel tempered blade
6-position cutting depth (max depth 2-1/4")
5-position curb wheel makes adjusting to the job eas
3-position adjustable bevel cutting system
2-year limited warranty
Extended Protection Plans are available for an additional charge
HP: 4
Engine Type: Briggs & Stratton
Blade Size: 9"
Tilling Depth-in: 2-1/4"

Grits
01-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Depends on how much you plan on using it. Do you need a walk behind edger? Or will a stick edger be enough? What are you planning on using this edger for?

bigw
01-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Depends on how much you plan on using it. Do you need a walk behind edger? Or will a stick edger be enough? What are you planning on using this edger for?

THATS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO BE TELLING ME...IM THE BEGINER,IM ASKING FOR ADVICE AND OPINIONS. THANKS!!:weightlifter: I WILL BE USING IT FOR WALKS,DRIVEWAYS, AND MAKING OLD BEDS LOOK GOOD AND MAKING NEW FLOWER BEDS PERIOD.

GreenT
01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Don't buy that Lowe's crap.

If you need an edger to make or redefine beds, rent one. It takes a lot of beds to justify buying a dedicated bed edger.

If you need to do curbs and driveways buy a stick edger.

bigw
01-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Don't buy that Lowe's crap.

If you need an edger to make or redefine beds, rent one. It takes a lot of beds to justify buying a dedicated bed edger.

If you need to do curbs and driveways buy a stick edger.

any particular brand and do you have a part # or model #

GreenT
01-03-2008, 02:00 AM
any particular brand and do you have a part # or model #

There are many opinions on brands/models.

This is what I use:

http://www.stihlusa.com/edgers/FC75.html

bigw
01-03-2008, 02:17 AM
There are many opinions on brands/models.

This is what I use:

http://www.stihlusa.com/edgers/FC75.html

will that cut deep enough for making a fresh flower bed edge? how deep should a flower bed edge actually be?

bohiaa
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I have never used an edger for making flower beds,,,,,

But it sounds like a stick edger will suit your needs jsut fine

scalpit77
01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Stick edger, all the way. I like Stihl also. If I were you I'd try the straight shaft and curved shaft and see which one you like. I prefer curved shaft.

hackitdown
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
will that cut deep enough for making a fresh flower bed edge? how deep should a flower bed edge actually be?

We don't do much lawn edging around here. The driveways are asphalt, and walkways are often stone or asphalt. There are almost no sidewalks in my town. No one does it.

I use a stick edger to cut the front of a flower bed edge. Then I use a spade to dig out the back side, cutting a V-shaped edge. It isn't really much easier than using a hand edger, but it makes smoother curves, and it is a little quicker. It doesn't work for me when cleaning up old beds. I use a hand edger for that. I use this with the edger attachment. http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/KM110R.html

I make them about 4" deep...the depth of the hand edger blade.

I have never used a real bed edger, but I don't think you can compare a stick edger to a real bed edger, which (I think) makes the complete v-shaped groove in one pass, flinging the dirt back into the bed. When a get a job with 2,000 feet of garden bed to cut, I'll buy one. Unlikely.

Wells
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
You're getting yourself confused by two different machines.

First there is a "lawn edger" that is used to cut an small edge between the concrete areas and the grass. There are two different styles of lawn edgers, a stick edger and a walk behind edger (ie; the picture you posted is a walkbehind "lawn edger").

Second there is a "bed edger" which actually cuts an angled trench between the grass areas and the flower beds. An example of a bed edger would be the "Brown Bed Edger".

Each of the two machines serve a different purpose.

RedCastle
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Best bet BigW,

Buy a "stick edger" this can be used to clean the edges and if needed make an edge lil more work but can be done..

if you have a project where you are doing a large area or multiple beds then just rent a bed edger. what i mean is if you are creating the beds and not just cleaning the edges or going over existing beds...

You are just starting out so

k.i.s.s

Keep it simple silly

as you grow expand your equipment..nosense buying every tool out there if it isn't going to be profitable for you!!

thats the bottom line

Landrus2
01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
This type of equipment is good for a home owner I wouldnít buy this type of equipment for a commercial business pay a little more now. And you wont regret it if you donít have much work for it go out and rent one.

lifetree
01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
... lowes has a 4 wheel 4 cylinder edger for 235$

Anyone that thinks this is a 4 cylinder engine really does have alot to learn ... this is a 1 cylinder engine !!

LAwnpro13
01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
BigW
The only reason I bought a Brown was I have 3 contracts that provide me with over 6000 feet of edging twice a year and it will pay for its self in the first year with saved labor.

IMO I would get a good Stihl or Echo stick edger and rent a brown or turf-tec bed edger when and if the need arises, or when you get 1000's of feet of bed to edge twice ayear. I would stay away from the walk behind edger from Lowes.

EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP
01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Try to stay away from equipment from Lowe's, Home Depot or any retail store for that matter. Generally they're not built to with stand the frequent use and wear and tear of a lawn service company. I would recommend finding a local small equipment supplier whom you can start to build a relationship with.
Equipment purchased from them can be repaired and warranties honored. If you build loyalty with that supplier as your company grows, chances are you'll get taken of promptly when your equipment goes down. Oh yeah, stick edger all the way:Echo, Stihl, Red Max, Shindawa all good equipment. Wheeled edgers are usually better for first of the year edgings, but too bulky to carry all season. Not worth the money for their limited use, you can just make a couple of passes with your stick edger and achieve the same results. As for planting bed maintenance, a stick edger or your weed wacker turned upright will work great. Good luck.

txgrassguy
01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Big, I wouldn't buy that edger as the adjustment lever for pivoting the trimming head is very weak.
Take it for what my opinion is worth - look on ebay for a McClane edger, even with a tired motor, for $200-300. The replacement motor is cheap enough, about $100 or so.
Better yet, buy a Stihl 4-Mix FX 90-110 series - the solid shaft models, then don't worry about it. Best thing is, loosening one torque bolt and you can change the edging head for a 25-2 auto-cut head.
I do it all the time and after four years my initial purchase (of fourteen) 4-mix unit is still going strong.

bigw
01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Anyone that thinks this is a 4 cylinder engine really does have alot to learn ... this is a 1 cylinder engine !!

You must have known that i meant 4 cycle and not cylinder,my wifes corolla is a 4 cylinder.

bigw
01-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the advice,i will get a good stick edger for now and if and when the time comes that i can justify a bed edger then i will buy one and until then ill just STEAL one...LMAO j/k ill rent one!:weightlifter:

lawnpro724
01-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I need to buy a good edger but dont want to spend 2k or more for a brown bed edger or even the 600 for the little wonder edger,lowes has a 4 wheel 4 cylinder edger for 235$ has anyone tried that? can you give me some part #s of some edgers i should be looking at. would this one work?

heres a pic and specs....... (4.2)

Heavy duty 9" triple-edge steel tempered blade
6-position cutting depth (max depth 2-1/4")
5-position curb wheel makes adjusting to the job eas
3-position adjustable bevel cutting system
2-year limited warranty
Extended Protection Plans are available for an additional charge
HP: 4
Engine Type: Briggs & Stratton
Blade Size: 9"
Tilling Depth-in: 2-1/4"

The edger pictured will be fine for edging driveways, sidewalks but not sure how well it will work around beds. Bluebird makes a good solid edger that has several different blades you can get for it to edge around beds. Tanaka makes the best edger out there for edging sidewalks, driveways, patio's and so on but it is pricey. Stick edgers just don't have the power to clear heavy growth over sidewalks and driveway's but once the over growth has been removed there much faster to use than a walkbehind unit.

jiggz
01-05-2008, 07:07 PM
i didnt read all the responses soo this might have been brought up already.. But you only need a walk behind edger or stick edger if your going to be establishing an edge.. ((like a inch or more overgroth))a couple days practice and youll be able to do some pretty impressive edges with a good trimmer..((redmax, shin, kawi etc.)).. keep that in mind.. because honestally like i said youll prolly only use it the first time...thats even if its that bad..If you keep up on an edge with the trimmer youll never need to use an edger again..

NBI Lawn
01-05-2008, 07:17 PM
The Stihl stick is what I use. I prefer it over the walk behind simply because it is easier to haul, more versitile, its not from Lowes, easier to handle, more manuverable. For flower beds and such a sod cutter works great.

my .02

lawnmagicinc
01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
i would go get a stick edger from the home depot we use echo we us it evrey day thay will last you about 4 to 5 yeard it depends on how you tack care of it

lawnmagicinc
01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
i would go get a stick edger from the home depot we use echo we us it evrey day thay will last you about 4 to 5 yeard it depends on how you tack care of it

Grass Happens
01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
I have a sidewalk edger similar to what is pictured, although mine is a vertical shaft, so the belt doesn't do any crazy flipping action. I use it, maybe twice a year, else wise I use my line trimmer. If you try to use that thing for beds, it causes the blade to flex, and, well you can imagine! Luckily for me the belt gave out before the blade did. Depending on the economy, I'll buy me a nice stick edger this season and sell the MTD crapola. If not, I'm pretty sure I can manage one more year...

bill8379
01-22-2008, 12:21 AM
When I trim up flower beds and edges of drive ways and curbs sometimes I hold the trimmer upside down. On beds I usually walk backward, seems to help. I tried a stick edger on a bed and ferget about it. I don't even use my edger, a stihl 110 I tried it one day and haven't touched it since. I think I get a edgit attachment this year.

Valk
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Walking backwards while string trimmer edging along concrete (and some beds) is key for me as well...

8379 huh? - a fine score it was! 88!!