PDA

View Full Version : Tecumseh SNO KING recoil jerk

integrityman
01-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Guys- I recently purchased a snowblower with a Tecumseh 13hp OHV SNO KING engine.. This thing has some incredible recoil/ compression jerk when I pull the recoil. I pull the cord and WHAM, the recoil jerks violently out of my hand(s). OUCH!! At 6'2 and 200lbs I have never had any problems ever with recoil starting. I have owned many a machine and have NEVER experienced this type of incredible recoil compression. I own a log splitter with a 12hp B&S engine that is silky smooth on the recoil. Today I may have actually injured my wrist pulling the recoil. Why such a hard recoil? Any ideas? This is extremely unpleasent!

SLR
01-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Almost most sounds as if the timing is advanced, or excessive fuel in combustion chamber.

Restrorob
01-03-2008, 07:44 AM
As SLR stated the ignition timing is off, Check and replace the flywheel key it's most likely sheared.

siklid1066
01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I have the same problem with a Kawi motor.A mechanic claimed it was a valve ajustment,but that didnt work.Before pulling, try to get the commpression out by slowly pulling were there is no more pressure felt.Than give it a pull to start,its the only way around this problem Ive found.

Restrorob
01-03-2008, 01:15 PM
its the only way around this problem Ive found.

The best way around it is find the problem, You could have a sheared flywheel key as well or a problem with your automatic compression release on the camshaft.

Quick check for the ACR;

jkingrph
01-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Recent purchase, Take it back and let dealer repair, or replace.

Restrorob
01-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Recent purchase, Take it back and let dealer repair, or replace.

If it cranked fine before leaving the dealer the dealer in most cases will not cover a sheared flywheel key.

bigmower1
01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Chances are the key on the flywheel got sheared or slightly damaged and the timing got thrown off or the pull started isnt working properly. Make sure the pull starter is working properly first by taking it off and making sure that the paws are retracting in an out right and if they are then check the fly wheel key but first check the gap on the spark plug.

gene gls
01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I had the same problem with my power washer and it was the releaf valve on the camshaft.

integrityman
01-05-2008, 02:40 AM
I brought it into the dealer, they checked it all out and gave it a clean bill o' health..... they checked the timing, shear pins etc.... said all was o.k.... well see what happens come the next snow fall. thanx for your help.

bigmower1
01-05-2008, 03:18 AM
the pull starter shouldnt pull out of still.

SLR
01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Don't leave us hanging, post updated outcome please.