PDA

View Full Version : stripping

rcracer
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I was wondering how you make the stripes in the grass? I am just starting out this year and was wondering. thanks:usflag:

Denham Lawnboy
01-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Do a search for it and you will find more than enough information.

RedCastle
01-03-2008, 11:52 PM
simple striping is easy you go up one direction then back the other way. when viewd from short distance or on an angle you will see the lines. make sure they are straight!!!! you should alternate the direction everytime u cut
1 wk cut left to right 2nd wk lft to right but diag. and so on keep switching it up. also the height makes a difference you are going to cut the lawns a little lower in the spring usually in my area 2.5" then when it gets hotter cut it around 3" i prefer to catch the clippings as i feel it leaves a cleaner look.
hope that answers you ?

rcracer
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
yes it does it looks awesome from the pictures i have seen thankyou for the information.

Swampy
01-04-2008, 03:37 AM
its a added attachment when you purchase the mower. The most I've seen have been rollers but their are other options.

IN2MOWN
01-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I dont think stripping would be a good idea to supplement your income. Taking off your clothes for money probably wont make you very much. ;)

As for striping, just do you perimeter around the yard and then start to go back and forth.The more times you do in the same direction the more defined your stripes will become.

After 2 weeks of going in the same direction switch directions and then go back to the original direction the following week. Then vice versa...

LawnTamer
01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree, stripping might be awkward, some clients might not like it.:laugh::laugh:

Don't worry, you are not the first to spell it with two "P"s. About every other post on the subject has that.

As you use the search feature, you will find many threads about the topic. What would really help you is to let us know what mower you will be using. You will probably find someone with experience with that mower. Some mowers stripe very will without any attachments, others don't.

What will your primary mower be?

rcracer
01-04-2008, 07:52 PM
My bad on the spelling that was pretty funny. I am going to be getting a exmark 36 wbh. Is this a good mower to get? :usflag:

itsallaboutthestripes
01-04-2008, 08:14 PM
its a added attachment when you purchase the mower. The most I've seen have been rollers but their are other options.

Its only an add attachment if you buy a junk mower or don't have a clue of what you are doing. My Standers lay a strip that can not be beat and no strip kit.

LawnTamer
01-04-2008, 10:46 PM
My bad on the spelling that was pretty funny. I am going to be getting a exmark 36 wbh. Is this a good mower to get? :usflag:

That should lay a decent stripe. Get a sulky as soon as you feel comfy with the controls. If you want to increase the striping effect, you can either buy a roller, or you can build one. I have found a few good home made versions here using the search feature, try "Home made striping kit".
Do you have access to a welder? I put an inverted fin on my sulky that lays beautiful stripes.

Swampy
01-05-2008, 03:21 AM
Its only an add attachment if you buy a junk mower or don't have a clue of what you are doing. My Standers lay a strip that can not be beat and no strip kit.

While that is true its still dependent on the type of grass and cut height as well. Our Toro's put down a good strip, will not say its the best I've seen. We had a roller on the back of our ZTR's deck which kept falling off, since then (I forgot the name) but we went with this "Mud Flap" looking thing, which in my opinion works better then the roller.

Also it depends on the discharge of the deck.

topsites
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
You could always wear shorts and go topless, then again isn't that a business in and of itself?