PDA

View Full Version : Power stroke diesel 7.3

Landrus2
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Have you guys out there have had problems with this engine any ideas what to look for when engine donít start IĒ having a problem with mine it starts fine in morning it runs fine for about an hour then it dies have to let it sit for a couple of hours then it fires right up for a another hour any ideas would be helpful.:hammerhead:

madmower
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
posable fuel line i had this problem with a truck a few years back would run good the cut out for no reasion it was the fuel line sucking shut with the vacume in the tank

hope this helps
bill

LindblomRJ
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Have you had any Cam sensor problems?

How about fuel filter changes? How old is the filter?

Victor
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I think I know what your problem is. How many miles do you have on your truck? Around 100k?

mowermankevin
01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Just type in piwerstroke and all kinds of info is available, we only have 25K miles on ours and we have put 2 batteries an alternator, PCV, new stereo, find a web site and hook in to it these are good trucks when they run right...

dshackle3
01-04-2008, 11:19 PM
CPs or maybe valve cover wiring harnest.

LindblomRJ
01-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I thought when the cam sensor failed it seemed to be all the sudden... I might be wrong.

talus
01-05-2008, 12:26 AM
I have a 97 with the 7.3. It does sound like a cam sensor. However it makes me wonder why it starts after a few hours. How many times do you try to start it after it quits? On mine the first time I changed I would start it in the morning to warm up and it would stall after a few minutes but start right up normally. The second time it would hesitate when I accelerated for a quick second. Third time it just died and would not start. I always carry one with me now. If you need to know where the cps is located it's under thewater pump. It's a 90 degree shaped thing with a small wiring harness going to it. It's held on by a 9 or 10mm bolt. I find it easir to unplug the harness first. Then take off the bolt and pop it out with a flathead screw driver. Check to make sure the o ring comes out with it. When you buy the new cps make sure it's a gray one. I have almost 200k on mine. Someone metioned valve cover wiring harness? The glow plug wiring harness is under the valve covers and I did have to replace mine but that would not make it stall. The wait to start light would stay on for like 30 seconds and was very difficult to start in the colder weather. Hope this helps sorry for the long post.

plumbguy
01-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Have you had any Cam sensor problems?

How about fuel filter changes? How old is the filter?

My CPS went out on my 7.3 back around 5000k
I now have 60k and have had no probs since.
I think ford did a recall.

plumbguy
01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Just type in piwerstroke and all kinds of info is available, we only have 25K miles on ours and we have put 2 batteries an alternator, PCV, new stereo, find a web site and hook in to it these are good trucks when they run right...

And your point is??
Thats right, Ford is the only manufacturer with problems.