PDA

View Full Version : back light a window

Grubbworm
01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
This house is a one story, vinyl clad ranch. Not much architectural features. Thought it would look good to back light the 1/2 round window, see pic.
So, how do you get a nice 'lite' window look (assuming the room's indoor lights are out). Do you mount some low voltage fixture, indoors, pointing toward the window? Some kind of wash light? Mounted on ceiling?
I'll bet running the wire will be fun and I'll bet I would need this light to be on a separate switch so homeowner could shut it off. Sounds like it might not be worth it.

Any ideas?

JoeyD
01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I dont think you would want to backlight the window from the inside. Not sure that would be a very desirable look and probably wouldnt be worth the effort. Just my opinion obviously. What I would do here is maybe throw a small sleek downlight into the peak of the eave on the outside and shine down highlighting the bench and bird house if anything.

Idealy I would light up the walls on each side of the window either by downlighting or uplighting. Downlighting being the better option in my opinion as far as design is concerned. You could carry the d-lighting theme across to the porch and light up the post at the entry to the porch and so on.

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree 100% with Joey on this.

I would mount a White Guardian fixture (with a 20W BAB and an optical spread lens) to the fascia at the top of that gable, shining down and grazing the windows and mount two uplights (probably bullets, also with BAB lamps) equi-distant from the sides of the house shining up onto the siding.

Then you need to integrate this lighting into the rest of the home so that it doesnt stand out as the only architectural feature that is lit.

Grubbworm
01-04-2008, 10:10 PM
THANKS for the quick replies! I know you guys are correct (traditional thinking wise). I was just trying to think of something different (or maybe goofy).

pete scalia
01-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I agree 100% with Joey on this.

I would mount a White Guardian fixture (with a 20W BAB and an optical spread lens) to the fascia at the top of that gable, shining down and grazing the windows and mount two uplights (probably bullets, also with BAB lamps) equi-distant from the sides of the house shining up onto the siding.

Then you need to integrate this lighting into the rest of the home so that it doesnt stand out as the only architectural feature that is lit.

Just playing devil's advocate here. Upon inspection at the Nightscape website I realized That fixture you specified needs at least 2 screws from the faceplate and 2 from the back removed to re-lamp. How do you plan on getting to the backplate to get a screwdriver in there to accomplish that when the fixture will be very tight to the peak?

remove it from it's moorings everytime? I know you like to climb on ladders but don't you think it's kind of precarious up there didling around with all those screws. And what happens when they fall to the ground. I'd really hate to see you get hurt up there. That would affect me deeply.

Pro-Scapes
01-04-2008, 10:42 PM
i was going to jump in on this but decided im going to hold my tounge on it and keep my idea to myself.

You could downlight that bench I suppose but its still going to just be a lit bench. Why not add some more drama to the bench and let something spill onto the walls in the process. I dont really see that bench or the window as being a focal point especially being adjacent to the entrance like that.

Do you have a overall pic of the house ? If you want your "back" lighting effect on the window I would just consider integrating the lights in that room into a upb system or something or install one of thoes torchia lamps in the room near there with a plug in timer to give that lived in look it seems your after.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey Grubworm... Don't pay any attention to that Pete character...

The NS Guardian is a nice, small, 3" square downlight that is perfect for architectural mounting in that application. It mounts to the fascia by means of a brass J-Hook which permanently attaches to the structure. The fixture then slides over that J-Hook for easy removal when re-lamping is required. You will have to remove 4 machine screws to open the fixture but it really isnt all that bad... total time might be 4-5 mins.

If you prefer a 'tool-less' fixture design there are many small scale fixtures to choose from. The Hunza DL (Downlight) would be my next choice.

As far as the effect out of this fascia mounted downlight, it wouldnt just light the bench as Billy is concerned about, it would actually graze the entire end of the home, window, etc and provide a pool of 'moonlight' into the garden. It would also create a nice effect inside the home if the window shades are left open. No glare from inside as the source (lamp) is recessed and hidden in the fixture.

If you are not sure, do a demo of this technique to learn it.

Have a great day.