PDA

View Full Version : People getting sluggish on payments?

little green guy
10-20-2001, 02:52 AM
It seems like lately people are getting real slow with payments, trying to get paid is like pulling teeth. I talked to a couple other guys around here and they said the same thing. I sent September invioces out about two weeks ago and have only got 2 checks back, one was a commercial account. About 40% of my customers still owe me on august. Seems like ever since 9/11 people have been super slow on payment. I also havn't been getting very much new work lately either. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this too? It's driving me nuts. :angry:

Albemarle Lawn
10-20-2001, 03:00 AM
Not too bad, though I noticed some of my best payers still haven't turned around their September invoices.

Just make sure your records are impeccable. We use quickbooks, it records check numbers and all.

HERE IS SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR:
We have previously had trouble when a late payer pays, for example, August and it crosses the September invoice in the mail. Then they don't pay Sept and when you call, they insist they sent you a check. Make sure your invoices are numbered, and check number is referenced to invoice number when you receive a payment.

Ken

Runner
10-20-2001, 03:11 AM
You say you have August invoices out at this time? Their grass would be getting reeeal long right now if they were MY customers! My fault is that I just wait so dog-gone long to bill them. So, when they are late on an invoice, I can't really complain.:rolleyes:

Randy Scott
10-20-2001, 03:23 AM
Same here, payments are getting a little slower. I think as the season winds down the people are not as excited about their yards anymore. Yet I'm there still cutting every week as scheduled but they take longer to pay. Pisses me off but I guess that's part of owning a business!

GrassChopper
10-20-2001, 08:42 AM
Geez, and I thought it was just me! Up until Sept 11th, I had one or two slow pays, but now it's ridiculous. Gonna have to start knocking on doors.

SJR Lawncare
10-20-2001, 08:56 AM
Ditto! Same problems here too.

SJR

Premo Services
10-20-2001, 09:12 AM
About half of my customers are quick to turn the invoices around within the week they were sent. I have been finding that the rest are getting slower to send, but still do within the month. I have two that owe me from august still, and have not been cut since end of sept. :mad: The grass is pretty tall. I have sent invoices again, and when they pay you can bet there will be an extra charge for cutting, if I even do cut it.

Shady Brook
10-20-2001, 09:18 AM
I never like it when they pay late, but especially when it is in the fall. I have had people, not many, who get late in the fall, and stay late. I think they try to keep you around long as possible, and amass as big a bill as possible, and then stick it to you. I think they believe they made it through the year, and will find someone else to rob next year. I think they ought to hang thieves like the used to do in the old days! :p

All late payers will have to prepay on month next year. I have been robbed to much lately.

Jay

XOFMOT
10-20-2001, 09:18 AM
Same here! What I am doing is that If I don't receive payment after 2 weeks of bill going out, I send another copy of the bill out with a REMINDER NOTICE attached. Been really lucky up until this past month, two customers have yet to pay SEPTEMBER bill. DO you guys include a return envelope with a stamp on it? I have been doing that since DAY ONE and I normally get my payment back the same week it went out!

Island Lawn
10-20-2001, 10:23 AM
August?

Are these accounts racking up late fees?

1grnlwn
10-20-2001, 10:25 AM
Question: What do you do in the winter?

Answer: Sue people who did not pay in the summer.

I swear from now on, any residential I quote, the first question I ask is , Are you renting? These people stop paying, you stop mowing and before you know it they're gone.

awm
10-20-2001, 03:18 PM
now you will get a chance to find out which ones are
a little weak in the character dept.remember this if you have to
quit taking new work at some time. instead just replace these
iffy people. most time u can get your money with a personal visit.
agrevating yea ,but just pt of buisiness.

Twotoros
10-20-2001, 03:59 PM
I experience this every year at seasons end. My last billing is the slowest to obtain. I call it the "out of sight - out of mind billing".
The customer does not see the weekly work being done so it is out of mind. Payments drop in at about half speed. I always have 2-5 that have not paid by christmas and must call or send a letter. I hate the last billing.:mad:

eggy
10-20-2001, 04:09 PM
I have a commercial customer that is behind ,but here is what I am dealing with. The old company sold out, and the new company has taking over. The old company was behind several thousand, and several months. The new company sent me a payment for may, and then august but no June or July. They claim the past owner was responsiable for June and July....hmmm asked them but you are responsiable for May?? They are acting awful funny about getting payment to me. I have signed contracts from bith the old and new companys...so I guess small claims I come...

casey
10-20-2001, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn

I swear from now on, any residential I quote, the first question I ask is , Are you renting?

We also do not accept renters on our residential route. One slipped through this year. I realized he was a renter after 2 cuts. He called & said he wanted it cut bi-weekly. I told him we don't cut bi-weekly & don't service renters. Love doing stuff like that.

Green Care
10-21-2001, 01:11 PM
Same problem here , but a visit will take care of it.

BOTURF
10-21-2001, 01:28 PM
I have had the same problems with slow payers this time of yr, i had one commercial account that was behind 3 months on payments so i stuck a late fee on the next bill. The office manager told me if i stuck a late fee on bill never ever step a foot on there property again and anyway her husband could cut it cheaper than i could so guess what i havent cut it since and i bet her hubbys not having trouble getting payed sounds like to me shes double dipping and keeping my money in her family oh well thats the was it goes i WILL get my money thru the courts lol

BOBCAT36
10-21-2001, 08:15 PM
GUY, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I TOLD MY WIFE THAT MY CUSTOMERS ARE TREATING ME LIKE A PUNK, SHUT I NEEEDS MY MONEY. I FEEL YA PAIN

dlandscaping
10-21-2001, 10:48 PM
i love how clients ask why they havent recieved their monthly bill when it is the middle of the month, how they dont want to pay for this or that and how they say if i bagged the leaves for them they would get rid of them so they dont pay. i give the bills and recieve no money for 2 weeks and they pay me as im mowing (i think it is to trick me into giving them free cuts). some new clients are pains this yr and i gave free fertilizing grub and weed control to ppl who pay me $60 a month to mow weekly. then they never ever water when we have had no rain for 2 months and wonder why the lawn browned and its my fault. this was not a good year for me and i am questioning if i should stay with lc.
ps this was my first real landscaping year.

little green guy
10-22-2001, 12:42 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. It's realy starting to aggrevate me. I guess i got August out a little late, I think I sent them out sept. 10 but I still have about 40% thats not paid. I can't wait to send out November with all those big cleanup bills, maybe If i'm lucky I'll get paid by March :angry: I'm gonna go start beating down doors soon.

Rhino Lawn
10-22-2001, 01:41 AM
late payers i love them In my contract there is a clause. My wife dose all of our billing she bills the 30th of each month now the contract gos like this they agree to the price 25.00 or more (dont drop the gate for less )then the clincher ther will be a equall amount for late payment for one lawn service usally 25.00 if not receaved within 10 days of billing they sighn and there yours also they have to sighn a agrement for a bounced check also 25.00
they sighn it any ways gota keep up with the jone's the smithes and any one else one the block geting lawn care till they cant and the bill mounts up and up and up the contract states from start date to end date and will hold up in any court .if they say we canseld service mow any way weed out the bad and service the good next year i to have promblems but my wife the tiger calls ,growles and they usaly mail or come over with a check that day usaly so embaresed that there taking food out of my two sons mouth and my wallet some times pay for next month

seeya hope this helped any one

jay