PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out In NJ

F&F Lawncare
01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm looking to start cutting lawns part time in NJ this coming year. I have a 52" Lesco lawn mower, 21" Craftsman Push Mower, 2 Echo Weedwackers...ect. All I am going to do is cut, edge, and blow. The only other thing I would do is spread a new layer of mulch (possible). Do I need any licenses, ect?

JRS Landscaping
01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
hey whats going on? what part of jersey you from? some towns require permits and such

Petr51488
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm looking to start cutting lawns part time in NJ this coming year. I have a 52" Lesco lawn mower, 21" Craftsman Push Mower, 2 Echo Weedwackers...ect. All I am going to do is cut, edge, and blow. The only other thing I would do is spread a new layer of mulch (possible). Do I need any licenses, ect?

Yep, a business license, insurance, tax ID number.

M&SLawnCare
01-05-2008, 12:44 AM
All you need to do is visit your county clerk and fill out the paper work for your trade name, then go register your business with the state (can be done online very easily). You don't need any license (you just need to be registered and make sure you check the checkmark to receive a certificate to collect sales tax) for just mowing, legally you do not need insurance but its highly recommended, and you do not need a tax ID number although its free and easy to get. If you don't get an ID number you'll just file using your social security number.

All of this is assuming your going to be a sole proprietor and assuming theirs nothing special in your town that may require something additional.

shade tree landscaping
01-05-2008, 12:50 AM
I would highly recomend insurance! The state says that you are sopposed to get a "cntractors license." I say says b/c there are alot of companies in my area (monmouth county) that do not have this. Other than that everyone elese has covered everything. Good luck, and dont be a low baller just to get your phone ringing!

baz
01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Who are you guys using for insurance?

jiggz
01-05-2008, 07:52 PM
pretty much what everyone else said.. an good luck!!
what part of jersey are you from?.. im in pennsauken
always good to see locals on here..

DLAWNS
01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I use Selective Insurance...they seem pretty good to me.

bj1bmx
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
i also use selective insurance. they are very expensive for personal auto insurance but are ok with commercial policies. you do not need a state contractors license if you are only mowing lawns. if you are going to get into landscaping installations, then you do...$600 a year will cover you for $1M of liability.

each municipality will likely have their own mercantile license for you to operate, but I have been 3 years in coastal towns and have only been stopped once for not having one. if you are questioned, they then make you buy one. its that easy.

if youre just mowing, keep your costs as low as possible and you will succeed. use an older truck, used equipment, a tight mowing route, minimize gas consumption, and only buy what you need.

good luck