PDA

View Full Version : 24v

Mike M
01-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Ushio 24V Eurostar MR16

Ushio Eurostar™ 24 volt series of Halogen MR-16 lamps provide professional grade lighting. The UV protected Halogen capsule is aligned within a Titanium Oxide coated reflector. The hard Titanium Oxide surface of the reflector provides consistent color throughout the life of the lamp. The 24 volts systems use half the current (amperage) than 12 volt systems. This allows higher wattage loads and up to twice as many as lamps on a longer lighting system. The 24 volt systems are less prone to voltage drop over longer wires and connections which results in more consistent brightness and color.

Okay we have 24v bulbs, and I found an outdoor 24v transformer, if fixtures are rated for 50w, does it matter if it's powered by 24v or 12v? I could just use any mr 16 fixture?

I can do the math and size and run my wires accordingly.

Copper wire savings, plus wire concealment, makes 24v a noticeable competitve edge. When LED's are combined (with even lower watts), wire will even be smaller, runs even longer, with even more fixtures on runs.

I mean, this is why they are putting these things in kitchens and crap, why are we not going this route with outdoor applications?

Pro-Scapes
01-05-2008, 09:36 AM
look at the stickers on the fixture mike. Alot of the ones I say clearly say 12v only. While im sure it would work just fine I would stick to things that are rated for your intended use. Im sure nate and joey will have a good word on this and im sure nate has all the stuff in place to impliment his 24v system.

More importantly you need to check your licesing in SC and see if there is any restriction with you pushing the limits of what is considered low voltage.

nate mullen
01-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I can tell you Our Unique fixtures are rated for 24 volts right now......all of them............If you are using 1838 listed fixtures they have a max of 15 volts..........Most states are 30 volts or less.............Thst why you can install 24 volt IRR. systems. 50 watts is 50 watts are far as the energy used. It is the current that changes............50 watts on 12 volts is 4.166 50 amps............ watts on 24v volts is 2.08 amps................

pete scalia
01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
UL 1838....what is it good for?.....absolutely nothin'

nate mullen
01-05-2008, 11:20 AM
UL 1838....what is it good for?.....absolutely nothin'
I glad you said that.............I have a couple 100 1838 transformers sitting around ....................just collecting dust

pete scalia
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I glad you said that.............I have a couple 100 1838 transformers sitting around ....................just collecting dust

It's a dying bread. Nobody wants em. It's like Blu-ray vs. HD DVD when it's all said and done Blu ray will be the winner and HD will be extinct. 12-22V will still be standing while 15V will be a footnote. Only morons will limit themselves. Screw UL and anyone else who buys into their fascist ways.

irrig8r
01-05-2008, 01:42 PM
You know Pete, I can never tell if you truly agree with something and just go a little over the top with your feelings about it ;), if you're trying to be funny :laugh:, or if you're trying to provoke an argument.:hammerhead:

:confused: