PDA

View Full Version : Nat Mullen for President

pete scalia
01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Of AOLP that is. Let's start there and who knows maybe in 2012.........

Chris J
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't mind supporting that nomination, but I think the organization would come to an end the minute a manufacturer becomes President of it (any manufacturer).

pete scalia
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't mind supporting that nomination, but I think the organization would come to an end the minute a manufacturer becomes President of it (any manufacturer).

I'm not saying I disagree but could you elaborate on this and express why you feel this way please.

irrig8r
01-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I guess this is why some felt that the organization could have stuck with it's founder's intent, and keep out manufacturers (the way I heard the story) to remain independent.

Can anyone fill us in on how and when it transpired that manufacturers and distributors where invited to join, and did it cause some kind of a rift, or is that just idle rumor?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I guess this is why some felt that the organization could have stuck with it's founder's intent, and keep out manufacturers (the way I heard the story) to remain independent.

Can anyone fill us in on how and when it transpired that manufacturers and distributors where invited to join, and did it cause some kind of a rift, or is that just idle rumor?

Gregg. If you want the full scivvy on this, and I mean the straight truth, I would recommend you contact Mike I. in your great State. He filled me in a long while ago about all that you are asking.

It would be interesting to hear other people's take on what happened way back when though.

Have a great day.

Chris J
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't have enough knowledge to speak on the history of what happened from the beginning, so I can't answer that. As far as Pete's question, I just think it would appear to be too political. I don't think the general public would view this organization to be "for the betterment of the industry" if it were run by a specific breed of manufacturer. I believe the goal would be translated to be more biased for the specific manufacturer's benefit, and I don't think it would be accepted by the general population of independent contractors/designers very well.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Good response there Chris. I agree with you.

JoeyD
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I think the association needs to have a peer (as in contractor/designer) as president. The minute a manufacturer becomes president regardless if he/she puts its company behind the AOLP when making AOLP decisions you will turn off those members whose loyalties are with other manufacturers and they will automaticly be against that president regardless.

I KNOW Nate could be an awesome president but I think their would be "old school" members who will throw a fit and probably quit just becuase of their loyalties. I also believe there would be prospective members with the same loyalties who would not join for the same reasons.

Now the reason I believe you need Manufacturers and distributors involved is I believe they bring credibility to the association. You also bring in what you hope to be manufacturer support not just financially (which a manufacturer certainly pays hefty fees to join and retain membership) but educationaly. you also allow for easier access to these manufacturers which in turn should help produce wanted and needed products.

Now let me say this, Matt Broyles the current president in my opinion does one hell of a job. I think he is moving this association in the right direction along with the help of some very key board members. I would like to see Nate atleast on the board, not to influence Unique like values and principals but becuase I think there are few people out there with his level of knowledge when it comes to this industry. Nate is a shaker and a mover and thats what you want in driving a buisness or an association. Agree with him or not you cant argue that he has done as much if not more for this industry than most anyone else before or after him. (I say that with all due respect to Bill Locklin who was and always will be the father of this industry) Look at all the spinoff companies that have come about based off of the system and principals he pioneered. When he puts his mind to something 10 times out of 10 it gets done!!

Joey D.

pete scalia
01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't have enough knowledge to speak on the history of what happened from the beginning, so I can't answer that. As far as Pete's question, I just think it would appear to be too political. I don't think the general public would view this organization to be "for the betterment of the industry" if it were run by a specific breed of manufacturer. I believe the goal would be translated to be more biased for the specific manufacturer's benefit, and I don't think it would be accepted by the general population of independent contractors/designers very well.

I agree too. Very eloquently spoken.

Pro-Scapes
01-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Now let me say this, Matt Broyles the current president in my opinion does one hell of a job.
Joey D.

Chump also caught the biggest fish last time we were out. I think we need a rematch Matt... This is me (paul ya with me) calling you to a knock down drag out fishing tourney!

I gotta agree tho matt is a motivated guy and with pauls pushing things have came alive in the 2 years i been watching the association. Sean Curran seemed to have that passion too and any president that is elected in needs to have that passion for lighting and the industry like these fellas do. Not that nate doesnt but I agree with Chris. Just not a good idea.

Chris J
01-06-2008, 01:29 AM
I also agree with your statements Joey. I should have said that in my response, but I was in a hurry to watch the Cardiac Cats play the Steelers. My nickname for them held true tonight as well. They were up by huge points, only to let it slip away and be down by 1 until the last minute of the game. Man, the Jags piss me off! But I'm glad they won.

Firefly Lighting
01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Joey- Thanks for the vote of confidence. We have made a lot of changes to the organization in the past year, one of which was the name, which I was a staunch supporter of changing. In my 9 years in the lighting biz I have seen countless number of manufacturer based organizations come..and go. They just don't work. There is still plenty of hard work ahead in order to increase membership to the point that we are a real force, but we are getting there. I think that those of you who attend confrence this year will see that we are constantly working to improve the AOLP for the benefit of its membership and the industry. Of cource we are not as well known as the IA but we all must remember that this Org is still young and has not been around for that long. I am committed though to making it the premier industry association for the outdoor lighting proffessional and I would hope that all of you would volunteer whatever time you can to make that happen.

Lite4
01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
If I were to volunteer for something, in what capacity could I be used? When you say to volunteer it makes it sound as though you have an established program set up in my area for volunteer work. I am totally willing, what do you have for me to do? Is it a matter of me just trying to raise awareness of the organization through my daily work?

irrig8r
01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I agree too. Very eloquently spoken.

Once again I find myself agreeing with Pete.... and I have the feeling that pretty soon he'll be leading us all in a chorus of kumbaya...

Firefly Lighting
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
If I were to volunteer for something, in what capacity could I be used? When you say to volunteer it makes it sound as though you have an established program set up in my area for volunteer work. I am totally willing, what do you have for me to do? Is it a matter of me just trying to raise awareness of the organization through my daily work?

Tim- By volunteer I mean by serving on one of our committee's such as the Legislative committee which is working on issues like state licensing. The committees meet by conference call once a month. If you will be at conference you will see the different committees and opportunities to serve.

Thanks

pete scalia
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Tim- By volunteer I mean by serving on one of our committee's such as the Legislative committee which is working on issues like state licensing. The committees meet by conference call once a month. If you will be at conference you will see the different committees and opportunities to serve.

Thanks

Can you list all of the committees?

pete scalia
01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Once again I find myself agreeing with Pete.... and I have the feeling that pretty soon he'll be leading us all in a chorus of kumbaya...

I thought you were James' point man. Have you seen the light and come over to the dark side?

Firefly Lighting
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Pete- The committees are: Legislative, Membership, Certification, Design Cert., and Awards. Are you coming?

Thanks