PDA

View Full Version : Engine Repair

troyjohnson
01-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I have a John Deer HD 45 wiht 860 hous on it, the engine locked up Kawasaki FC420V. I have pulled it off and taken off all parts, except the flywheel. Reomved the head and the plug opposit side that hold something inside fixed. With this plug removed the piston and shaft will turn about 1 inch either way.

I need to know how to remove the bottom on the engine to get inside and see what is up. Taken out all bolts and can not figure out nest step to break the seal and pull the bottom off? Help

Restrorob
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Flip the engine up side down and grab it by the mounting hole flanges, Hold it a inch or two off the floor or work bench then have a helper hold a block of wood on the PTO end of the crank and smack it with a hammer to break the seal.

troyjohnson
01-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Got the bottom off and inside the shaft is locked up wiht the top arm of the counter weight, can not turn it to get the piston nuts, any ideas?

Restrorob
01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, Your going to have to find some way to rotate that rod to get the bolts out before you can take the crank and balancer out.

Maybe tap on the balancer rod while trying to rotate the shaft ?

I haven't really ran across one locked up such as this because I normally wouldn't tear into a locked up engine, Just shortblock or replace the whole thing.