PDA

View Full Version : 8 horse tecumseh problems

Robert Doubrava
10-20-2001, 11:21 AM
i mow my grandfathers lawn for him because he's in a nursing home. i was mowing with his murray rear engine mower, and i heard a weird noise. i cant describe what it sounded like, but i know it came from the engine. right after i heard the noise, it started popping very loudly. fire and smoke was coming out of the muffler. i checked it a few days ago, and it still does it. thats why i say briggs engines are better than tecumsehs, we have not had a problem like this with any B&S engines before. im guessing, is it an internal engine problem, or a carb problem?

Robert Doubrava
10-20-2001, 03:07 PM
i forgot. i beleive the tube coming out of the valve cover is the overflow tube, right? if it is, gasoline has been draining out of it, i think. i beleive it may be a problem with the valves or something.

vipermanz
10-21-2001, 03:34 AM
has to be internal if it did all that

MOW ED
10-21-2001, 06:47 AM
I can't really help you with the mechanical part of the trouble but I can almost guarantee you that the nice slugs at Tecumseh dont give a sh!+ about the problem. They are really a fine class of people.

I'd take that Tecumseh off and throw it in the crap heap and put a rubber band engine on it before I'd buy another fast food engine from those idiots.

Good Luck.

Richard Martin
10-21-2001, 07:26 AM
Robert Doubrava wrote:
it started popping very loudly. fire and smoke was coming out of the muffler.

It is probably either a stuck exhaust valve or the camshaft has jumped a tooth. These engines are so cheap new that it's not worth fixing.

Robert Doubrava
10-21-2001, 12:26 PM
when you sit there with the engine running, it starts to screw up. once you start to use it and you turn the blades on, it runs better.

vipermanz
10-21-2001, 03:36 PM
sounds like something is loose in that case

Robert Doubrava
10-21-2001, 06:52 PM
all i know is, tecumseh engines are not reliable.

khouse
10-21-2001, 08:35 PM
I agree with Richard. You have an exhaust problem. Burnt or sticking. This would be a good repair for you. Remove the cylinder head and inspect the exhaust valve. Use that Briggs manual you have and remove the valve while your in there and check it. I believe that Tecumseh has a much better engine today then the ones years ago. They have never really gotten over there past reliability problems. I'm not sure but I think they were the first to introduce the overhead valve design for a small engine back in the early 70's.

khouse
10-21-2001, 08:43 PM
This is just my opionion. The new Tecumseh and Briggs engines are pretty close in performance and reliability. 10 years ago I would have said Briggs. On small equipment that's under 2k$ you'll see Briggs and Tecumseh. These engines are fine for residential and light commercial use. But if you want 100% commercial then you'll get equipment with Kaw's, Honda, Robin, Kabota, Kohler? I think the new Briggs 25 hp Vertical looks and runs great. We'll have to see how long they will run.

khouse
10-26-2001, 12:24 AM
When are you going to take the head of this engine? You can do it!!!!!

Robert Doubrava
10-26-2001, 01:27 PM
i dont know. im gonna junk it soon!!!! just in case you are wondering, im at school right now. internet time!!!!!!!LOL