PDA

View Full Version : What set up recomedations.

packey
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I am putting together another toy for my grounds service. It is an 84 dodge crew cab 4x4 with a 96 cummins 12 valve. The trans is a 5 spd. What I am wanting is suggestions on how to set the truck up for a more effient business.

I will run a crew of 3 of us from our town to the ski resorts this spring summer to mow two contracts. 2 resort condo complexes. I am looking at spending 2 separte days their a week. the resorts are about an hour away. Here is what I have so far on the set up

-on board air compressor with 20 gallon holding tanks mounted under the bed.
-50 gallon fuel storage tank with transfer pump
-Cross over tool box with full set of metric and sae wrenches, sockets from 3/8 drive to 3/4 inch drive both metric and standard. assorted other hand tools
-3/8 drive impact and 50 foot of hose

Any other suggestions let me know.

Oh yeah this truck will run with the best and tow with the best yet will stick out. I am also looking at paint colors on the truck. the interior is burgandy but I want this truck to be see. I was kinda thinking of painting it corvett yellow or Imperial blue.

packey
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
No body has any good ideas? wow.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
For a old truck you are putting allot of weight on it. What do you do are you in the repair business or the landscape business ?

For what you want to do you should probably running a F-450 crewcab with a service body on it.

A 24 old 3/4 ton truck carrying a heavy weight every day with newer power under the hood straining the rest of the truck.

packey
01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
How is it alot of weight for a 3/4 ton. This is a better chasis than the first generation dodge. The Dodge crew cab has a D450 chasis like what would have been used in Mexico on their south of the Border truck. The Front end is a dana 70 5200 lbs front end. This is a single wheel non dot truck in Colorado. My main goal is to build up a unique truck that does the job and still gets 17 mpgHere is the weight I ahve added above normal.
a cummins adds 400 lbs over the front
A onboard air compressor adds 40 lbs this includes compressor tanks and line
Dual Batteries have been moved to the rear of the truck.
Snow plow adds about 1200 lbs when on the truck.
remember the front is a 5200 lbs front not the lighter 3800 lbs front.
This is a sortbox crew cab which makes plowing more feasable.
Besides you would not get me to ru an f450 not after being burned by ford the way we have. I am sure they build a good truck but I have had two horrible experiences in a row with ford vehicles.

Tom B.
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Are the condos in Steamboat? Pretty impressive gas mileage. Does it include towing your mow rig?

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
What about making a shop trailer that you could put everything into instead of carrying all of it on the truck. Also with a older truck like that the gvw is probably 7500lbs.

I know your after something that stands out from the crowd.

All the little stuff adds up and before you know it your maxed the gvw out.

packey
01-11-2008, 12:10 AM
No not really that impressive It is just a chance to make better money then here in Craig especially for a person who is used to a higher service level.

I know all this stuff adds up but I have done it before. I know the frame and suspension really well. As far as being overloaded no not really. I will not nock the new trucks but these old dodge crews where really built well super heavy suspension and a beefy chasis than the req 1 tons. Why they didn't use this chasis all the time I don't know.

I would match this truck up against any 08 crew out their I may not have as many ponies but I will have a truck that will keep with any 08. Just a little roupher riding.as soon as I get the old girl looking presentable I will start posting pics

If I really had the money I would take a 40's power wagon body and mount it to a 2003 or later 3/4 ton 4x4 chasis but this truck will have to do.:)

As far as a shop trailer why I have a new 18 foot landscape trailer coming. this trailer will hold my toys My warn out exmark lazer. My new zero turn mower(not decided what it will be but I am leaning toward a scag) My walk behind and two 21 inch mowers. along with string trimmers, edgers, blowers hedge trmmer, extra blades for every mower and extra trimmer line. Total estimated weight is about 6800 lbs.

I am not sure of exact fuel mileage on truck I know before we started we were getting 21-22 on the highway and las time I towed was about 17 mpg with 8000 lbs on the trailer. I know it might change since I am adding weight to the truck in the form of a auxilary fuel transfer tank and loaded tool box but we should still be close enough to the same combined weight. Yes I know I am pushing the limits for not running dot but the state of co says we are still under dot with this set up.

mag360
01-11-2008, 07:32 PM
What a great truck. Definitely post some pics when you get it finished (or before).
Gravel rat doesn't like dodges---he only likes f-450's and the big trucks but I'm sure that truck can handle 50 gallons of fuel plus a toolbox and compressor. Motor and trans are about as good as it gets plus danas are still going under the new fords so you can't fault the axles---you have a better tie rod design than the newer ones too (in my opinion). I'd say you have close to the perfect tow rig.
How was the swap---pretty straightforward?

packey
01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
the swap is easy with a donor truck. The core support for the diesel is different. If you have a donor you get all the wiring harness and every thing. this one was a little more difficult because I did not use a donor truck so I modified the radiator mounts for the core support. I had to go get motor mounts from a wrecked first gen dodge and the wiring harnes as well and brake booster. pretty much plug and play though. their is no fab work no special wiring harnesses to make all parts are readily available.

As far as front and rear ends they both are dana 70's the rear is a posi. My only concern is is the tranny and transfer case which are both out of a 96 dodge diesel 4x4. we completely rebuilt the tranny and transfercase but I wish I had an allison transmission to back the cummins

Gravel Rat
01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
No I'am not a big fan of Dodge but I like to see people fix the older trucks up. A old crew cab Dodge with 5.9 power is different.

All you have to be worried about is getting the truck too heavy. The older truck may have uses heavier axles but those old Dana 70s still used small brake drums and low spline count axles. The Cummins power will break something eventually. I imagine the truck originally had 318 power if you were lucky 440 power. You power on it with the Cummins you will get some frame twist or axle wrap etc.

Lawnworks
01-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Gravel rat just hates dodges... likes to poop on your dodge parade. I would like to see a pic of the truck. We all know cummins 12 valve was the best engine ever put in a pick-up. Sounds like you might have to do a little wrenchin on it, but I would bet you can handle that if you did the swap! At least you don't have a $900 payment like ol gravel sack.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Like I said I'am not a fan of Dodge but I do like to see people fix up old trucks and make them unique.