PDA

View Full Version : Major problem?? i think.

bill8379
01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Hoping for a diaognonsis so I don't talk to the mechanics with no knowledge.

Symptoms:

-the other day I would turn on the blinker and my radio lights would blink at the same time. That never happened before, plus I thought I smelled burnt wiring.

-Today, samething but then, I stop/start and I had no dash lights. I got worried that I had no lights at all (it's night) got out and, I had front lights and running lights but no brake lights. More smell of burning plastic.

-So I go to start it up, starts fine (was going to drive home) but the brakes feel wierd and it won't let me get out of park. I couldn't get it into drive. Phoned a tow truck, while waiting the interior was was stuck on and wouldn't shut off no matter what.

_ I got them to tow it to Canadian tire and I unhooked the battery.

Its a '96 ford Ranger... well at least I can still drive my big truck.

Restrorob
01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a wire rubbed under the dash and shorted out, Automotive electrical is a pain (up under the dash) and is time consuming.

Be prepared for a good sized repair bill and be thankful it didn't lite up and burn to the ground right in front of you.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Well....least if you smelled some wires getting hot its a good chance it will be easy to find, some wires should be burnt or discolored by the heat. That was a good heads up disconnecting the battery....if not it might have went poof in the night

wayne

bill8379
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
If it did burn to the ground... i wonder if I would get insurance money:laugh:

GravelyNut
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
If it did burn to the ground... i wonder if I would get insurance money:laugh: It's a Ford. Does it have cruise control?

bill8379
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Well....least if you smelled some wires getting hot its a good chance it will be easy to find, some wires should be burnt or discolored by the heat. That was a good heads up disconnecting the battery....if not it might have went poof in the night

wayne

I hope so. They are going to charge me $82 an hour to snoop around see what they can find and diagnose the problem and give me an estimate.

I've gotten a lot of work done at this place and they're are reputable.

You know the tow truck driver charged be $9.80 for a gas surcharge.

ACA L&L
01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Let it burn and collect the insurance. unless you can fix it yourself, there will always be a problem with your electricial system its just in all the cars and trucks DNA! What is the year and make? oh yeah Got it. sorry Thats a no brainer should of went with the cheby!

bill8379
01-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Let it burn and collect the insurance. unless you can fix it yourself, there will always be a problem with your electricial system its just in all the cars and trucks DNA! What is the year and make? oh yeah Got it. sorry Thats a no brainer should of went with the cheby!

I got a chevy to, a 92 sierra. I dug it out from the snow bank, I only use it in summer cause it's two wheel drive. I sure like driving around a full sized truck again, not so claustrophic. When something breaks on my chevy, its a normal thing like a pump or ujoint. With this ford of mine its sensors crap like that.

DavidR
01-07-2008, 01:09 PM
After I read the first problem you were experiencing in your post I knew it was a Ford. I have had several friends that had similar problems.

Each of them sold the trucks and now own Toyota's. Good luck and hopefully they will find the problem.

bill8379
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
$627 later.

Problem was traced backed to trailer wiring kit.

Replace trailer wiring kit $44
Belt Tensioner twisting caused belt to burn off, new Tensioner $100
New Serpentine belt $40
Power Steering Flush $80
Vent Flush to deorderized the burning plastic smell $40
Replace Idler Pulley$45 (Had wrong idler pulley on there that cause the damage to the serpentine.)

Labour $309
Parts $220
Tax $67

Not too bad a price, kind of a relieve actually.

DiyDave
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Who wired up your trailer lights?

bill8379
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Who wired up your trailer lights?

Well I did, I mean I just bought the thing and plug it in. I did it in the spring and it worked fine. I didn't cut or splice wires or anything.

DiyDave
01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I guess my question was partially in jest, but if this was recent, can trace the problem to a faulty part?

mowermankevin
01-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey The Driver Of The Last Pete Put A 30 Amp Hot Wire Thru The Fire Wall And It Melted The 1/4 Inch Plastic Line That Controlled The Auto Brake Pressure To The Rear And $12000 Later Everything Is Backup And Operating. If It's Smokin,findout Now B4 It Burns.

ACA L&L
01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
thats alot of dough for belts and a power steering flush? I hate takin anything in to the dealer/mechanic. Ive only known a few mechanics that are straight shooters everyone else has bills and payroll!

My exwife took one of my trucks to brake stop! (6years ago)They wanted 600$$ big ones to replace pumps/shoes/drums you name it!! I went down there picked it up drove it to the dealer..........................everythings fine sir all it needs is a set of pads!! She thought she would get a discount as her brother worked there at some point. Long story for all that but owell. The truck wasnt even two years old.