PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailer help PLEASE!!

bigw
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Hey guys i picked up my new 8x16 car mate enclosed trailer yesterday and i noticed that the 2 interior lights of the trailer would only work if i had my key in the on posistion of my truck or if it was running. Is this normal? you mean i have to run my truck or kill my battery to use these lights or is their a wiring problem?I would think they would just run off my truck battery without having the key on or the truck running???

newtostone
01-06-2008, 01:51 AM
mine are the same way. which if you think about it is good. what happens if someone forgets to turn them off? So what i do is just get the truck running a lil early when i am loading up at dusk and its all fine by me. ( not sure if its the way it should be but it doesn't bother me all to much.

bigw
01-06-2008, 01:53 AM
mine are the same way. which if you think about it is good. what happens if someone forgets to turn them off? So what i do is just get the truck running a lil early when i am loading up at dusk and its all fine by me. ( not sure if its the way it should be but it doesn't bother me all to much.

OK I GUESS ILL DEAL WITH IT.hey where do you have your gas cans mounted?

GravelyNut
01-06-2008, 09:02 AM
If you want the lights to work with the switch off, you would need an isolator and another battery plus wiring. Before installing the brake controller in the truck, I could get power out of the outlet. After, it is as you described. I think they want to make sure your breakaway box doesn't kill your truck battery, so they do it that way.

LawnTamer
01-06-2008, 09:11 AM
I mounted a separate battery on the tongue of my enclosed trailer, apart from operating the lights, it can also operate an exhaust fan I installed.:cool2:

Petr51488
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
My interior trailer lights don't work on my trailer. Truck is an 08 gmc sierra. Any ideas? Everything else works good

P.Services
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
my lights come on when the truck is off and the key is off. just remember to turn them off!!

bigw
01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
my lights come on when the truck is off and the key is off. just remember to turn them off!!

im pretty sure that how it should work.

capetrees
01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
How does your trailer connect to the truck, 4 flat, 6 round, 7 round? Maybe somewhere you could feed a live wire to the trailer through the connector and then to the trailer interior lights.

GravelyNut
01-07-2008, 05:32 PM
My interior trailer lights don't work on my trailer. Truck is an 08 gmc sierra. Any ideas? Everything else works good

What brake controller? I think if you pull the controller cable from the controller, it would light them up if you have the factory 7-pin round unit,

bigw
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
How does your trailer connect to the truck, 4 flat, 6 round, 7 round? Maybe somewhere you could feed a live wire to the trailer through the connector and then to the trailer interior lights.

7 round !!!

GravelyNut
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Just checked mine again. It is powered on the pin next to the key on the left side top and to the pin on the bottom right. It should feed the trailer but not the other way around. I wonder why adding the controller blocked the lighter/power socket from the trailer feed.

capetrees
01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
7 round should have a live line in it that will allow you to change the feed to your lights. You'll have to open the plug on the trailer side and change the wires around. Then you'll have live power to the trailer but as mentioned in here, remember to turn the lights off and have a good ground.

Luvs2Play
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Key has to be in the on position with a Ford.

lawnMaster5000
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
the brake controller should make no difference unless something weird happened with the install.

jimslawns
01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
On the GM products, make sure your fuse has been installed in the fuse block under the hood on the drivers side. I think it is a 30 amp (green) fuse. They are a square fuse.

bigw
01-07-2008, 07:37 PM
ok thanks guys!!

GravelyNut
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
On the GM products, make sure your fuse has been installed in the fuse block under the hood on the drivers side. I think it is a 30 amp (green) fuse. They are a square fuse.
Mine was a 60 Amp.

GravelyNut
01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
the brake controller should make no difference unless something weird happened with the install.
Nothing weird other than the change I mentioned. Never had any problems with the controller or the fuses either. And I did the splicing of the pigtail to the harness that came with the controller. And then added the fuse in the underhood fuse panel.

executive property maintenance
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
is there anywy to test trailer plug for power i have a 98 ram never used would hate to go pick up a trailer and have no lights its a long shot but any suggestions would be a ppreciated

capetrees
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Get a tester. If you don't know what it is, it's a tool that looks like a big knitting needle and has a wire sticking out the back. That's the ground wire and may have an alligator clip on it. Turn your lights in the truck on and attach the clip to the frame or any ground and then poke the needle end of the tool into the holes in your plug, probably a four flat. One should be for power to the tail lights and the other two are for turn signals. The fourth is the ground. As you poke it in the holes and make contact, the needle should have a light that goes on. If it does, you have power.

executive property maintenance
01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
no i have the round plug not the flat one ill try and mess with it though thank you

EMJ
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM

My 99 chevy was missing the fuse for stud one that is the trailer power suply.

capetrees
01-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Do the same thing with whatever plug you have. Each hole is a different power line to a specific light. 6 round is one for the ground, right turn, left turn, running lights, brake lights and trailer brakes